FHSrebel27

Region 4AA Tournament  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Region 4AA Tournament

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im gonna have to take Franklin about 41-21 in this one. Franklin's offense is probably one of the top 3 in Middle Tennessee and will not be stopped by Brentwood's defense. Brentwood is barely squeeking out victories against mediocre teams and hanging on to that winning streak by a thread. If Franklin can score 38 points on our defense, then they can score like that on anybody. Sorry Brentwood but see your winning streak ceasing on Friday night.

This game will be dominant if Coach Johnson can get his running game going. This all depends on how the rebel line contains the linebacking core and d-line of Brentwood. If they can keep pressure off of solima then Brentwood will not be able to handle the rebel receivers speed. Kellen Moore is a heck of a player but he cant cover all 3 of Franklins big play receiving core. If Franklins defense can stop Brentwood from driving the ball then they cann pull it off. But who knows what Crawford has in store he is an incredible defensive coach and always comes up with ways to win. This one is too close to tell. Franklin could possibly pull it off it if they get it together on defense.

In the last 8 meetings against Brentwood, Franklin is 1-7. In the first game last year. Marcus Otey came into it having rushed the previous week for over 200 yards. He was held to -3 yards for the game. The next game he got 5 yards, with Reffegee the leading ball carrier both times. Last season Franklin came into the game with a similar high flying offense, and after two times, left scoring 8 and 14 against the Brentwood D. The point is: Don't write Brentwood out of it based on what they've done to this point. You can pretty much dismiss what each team has done up to this point of the season in this game. FYI, Fugate was injured very early in the Blackmon game, and did not play in either game against Centennial or Smyrna. Bruin offense struggled. Last week he had three TD's on just 5 carries. He had 118 against Franklin the last time they played. It will be a close game, and if so, odds favor Brentwood's experience. I'm sure Brentwood is glad to be the underdog again. It is a wonderful motivational tool when everyone doubts your ability.

Well now that the big game is over, its time to return to my usual self.....the one that admires and respects the Franklin High program and pulls for them every week but one.

Despite that small bias, its easy in my eyes. Franklin is the best team I've seen this year. Probably the fastest team I've seen in 6-8 years. Not just on the skill positions, but everywhere. The lineman run well, getting downfield on offense and in the backfield on defense. The defense flies to the ball, with great speed and aggression. This isn't just track speed either. Its game speed. They close on the ball and cover kicks and pressure passers with great speed and intensity. Its not even really an ability that they have so much as its an attitude. They simply play fast.

Solima isn't a god at the QB position. He's not going to leave as the best Rebel QB ever (I'll save that one for Greg Flye). But he's smart and tough, and that's what you love to have in a QB. Dont get me wrong, he's got a nice arm and decent touch and ability. But he's got moxy. He doesn't get rattled and he doesn't make too many bad choices with the ball. Doesn't force things that aren't there, and wont lose any games for you. I like the way he plays.

The offensive line is underrated I think. I hadn't heard much about them this year, but they're good. Quiet, but good. They could stand to be a touch more physical,(and it could just be the scheme they run) but are quick and smart. Good hand placement and feet. They have decent size to boot. Well coached also.

The backs are as good as they have to be. They are probably viewed as a secondary threat in the gameplan, but must be accounted for because they're fast enough to burn you. Not going to bull up the gut for 30 carries a game from either of these kids, but together, will make an effective combo. And because of their quickness, they have to be accounted for in the passing game as well. I can just see it now...when the clutch play is needed and a game is on the line the D will gang up on Bell and Nichols and Murray...leaving a gorgeous screen pass open to Waters or Hammond.

And the recievers...well, I dont need to say anything about these guys. Wow. They're good. Fast, rangy, athleteic, soft hands and smart. And that goes for all three of them. Bell and Nichols have gotten alot of the ink this season, but dont forget that Kevyn Murray was the second leading reciever in the Midstate last year, and can beat you just as quick. They're the spark in a very explosive offensive unit.

I think I pretty well described the defense at the top....fast. They fly around and get to the ball and like to hit once they're there. Overshadowed by the offense, but fast improving and very solid.

Special teams...........you know.

Franklin wins. I dont know by how much or in what manner. But Franklin wins.

Well, this is speaking from having seen both teams play this year... Franklin definitely has the advantage in personnel, but Brentwood has some of the intangible advantages... home field, history and mental... these seniors for Brentwood have lost to Franklin one time, and that was when they were freshmen... this may not be the last time these two meet this season (like last year)... here is my take...

Franklin's speed is tremendous... Brentwood's defense has quite a chore covering all those guys. The only hope is if the Bruins can get pressure on Matt Solima and force him into a mistake... he's a good quarterback but, while some may not think so, can get a little jittery sometimes if you put some heat on him... what he's been able to do this season is get the ball to his skill guys and let them make things happen... Franklin doesn't go downfield terribly often, but he has the ability to make those throws when the time comes... stopping Brentwood's running game is the most crucial thing here... the Rebs stopped Centennial for most of the game last week and were able to capitalize on some special teams blunders... Brentwood's bread and butter is still its running game, because Thomas Welch is not the sharpest of quarterbacks when it comes to putting throws on target down the field or even 10 yards away...

For Brentwood, the key will be getting the running game going and being able to cover well on defense... someone mentioned Kellen Moore... he's a pretty good corner, but can get lost on the field at times, on offense especially... a good talent with some good athletic ability, but he let a guy about four inches shorter than him duck in front and out-jump him in the Centennial game for an interception that could have been an easy touchdown for the Bruins... if he has those kinds of lapses defensively, it could get ugly in a hurry...

But... all this is speculation... big games like this come down to breaks and mistakes... who makes them and who takes advantage... Franklin had chances to beat Brentwood in the playoffs last year, but the Bruins came up with the break to win...

Honestly... I think it's time for Brentwood to lose... they've been skating by all season winning ugly against teams that aren't very good... their toughest opponent has been Centennial, and that should have been a loss... I think Welch's ineptness at quarterback and the lack of at least a mediocre passing game is going to hurt Brentwood... I think this one is decided on special teams...

But then again... what do I really know? LOL

Well let's hope there isn't a fight! That wouldn't be good at all!

I think boneal52 and sportsguy1976 have hit this one on the nail. They took all my thunder! Darn it guys...

Those previous eight meetings mean nothing fromthetop2. The fact that Otey got -2 yards last season doesn't mean a darn thing. And this year's offense is actually a bit different from last year's so you can't compare that really well either. I'm sure Brentwood's defense isn't exactly the same either.

Don't doubt our experience either. We have a GREAT group of seniors that knows how to get things done. They'll prove this Friday night when they defeat the Brentwood Bruins! GO REBELS!!!