1a Private schools

MountainFan

The entire varsity football team is not on scholarship anywhere. If you had 70 guys on the team, and tution was 10,000 (probably more at McCallie) you are looking at 700,000 dollars on tution...that is absurd.

I'm not saying that you're former teammates didn't go to McCallie because they weren't persued to (by who is the question), but I am saying that they aren't all on scholarship. (McCallie has a good team, but not as good as BA, MBA, or CBHS) this year so that also hurts your statement.

Private schools do not have the edge because of money. They have the edge because they have a greater participation rate. I can name lots of schools that are horrible, but have a large deal of money to back them up.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ego:

You said "The entire varsity football team is not on scholarship anywhere."

Au contraire, my friend. Every kid at a public school is, in essence, on "full scholarship". Every kid playing for a private school pays at least some money, and the vast majority pay full tuition.

BTW, the tuition at McCallie, MBA, BA, and I believe MUS and Baylor as well are all more than $10,000 per year.

Edited by itzme

To prove your point, tigerfan, not only do you have to show that you have "seen it first hand", but you also have to show that you've seen in on a regular basis. That is, after all, what you claim happens.

I've got associations with both public and private schools, and have no allegiances to one group or the other. However, I think it is entirely ridiculous to throw a blanket over private schools and claim that they recruit. The majority of these claims are made by people who make assumptions (and that is all they are) based on results. The private schools that are good must be recruiting in order to be successful. It can't be any other reason, can it? It's very hard for me to look at a team like USJ and believe they recruit, because they don't have a field full of athletes. What they are is a fundamentally sound, well coached team who makes very few mistakes.

Do private schools, particularly those competing in 1A, have advantages? Absolutely, those have been well documented in this thread. Are there disadvantges? I believe there are, the main ones being tuition limiting potential players and program funding.

Here, in my eyes, is the big problem - we're shooting for equity, but we're never going to get it. Moving all privates into D-II, that solves the public-private problem, but creates others, such as how privates schools that cannot offer financial aid can compete with those who can. No matter if we remain with the way it is now, use a multiplier, or go to a split, there will never be complete equity.

How many of usj football players live in Madison county? Is it true that they run a bus to pick up student players at Brownsville, Bolivar, Milan, Humbolt, Lexington, Huntingdon, and other area towns? If so what is fair about that? Public schools cant go across their county lines with buses.

Public schools play with the hand they are dealt. Privates get to "re-deal." Let the privates play the privates and let the publics play the publics I say. I can't understand why that is a problem for private schools.

Why I don't want the Class 1A private school that my child attends (CPA) to play in Div. II -

1 Financial aid - To be competitive in Div. II, a school would be almost forced to provide at financial aid to at least some athletes. I would rather that money be spent in other areas.

2. Travel time and cost - We would have to play at least 2 "region" games in either Knoxville, Memphis or Chattanooga every year and that's just in football. Yes, I know if CPA goes to Div. II so will FRA, Ezell, DCA, Goodpasture, Davidson Academy, Lipscomb, etc. but travel will still be a issue. Again, I would rather those resources be used in other areas.

These are not the only issues (recruiting, facilities and overemphasis on athletes being some others) I would have but these are the 2 biggest problems with moving to Div. II. That's my opinion - and I'm stickin' with it. :blink:

Edited by Bighurt

The private schools in d1 have as many or more students on "aid" as the d2 schools have. Its just on paper differently.

That statement is incorrect. Would you like to tell me exactly how many students CPA, FRA, DCA or Davidson Academy have on "aid"? Please don't accuse a school of cheating when you don't have the facts.

Edited by Bighurt

hey, Baldcoach

you can't tell me that those kids are there for their religious beliefs because i've grown up in a church and i know how Christians act. In all of my athletic experiences, between baseball, basketball, football, and even in golf i've heard more cursing from private schools than any other school i've ever competed against or watched play. Almost every time we play a private school i tell the freshmen to be ready for what will be said to them. I don't have anything against trash talking as long as it is not extremely vulgar and not used just to frustrate a player and take him off his game. NOT ALL but MOST private schools act in a way that is not what should be expected.

You gotta be kiddin me Green...I believe that what I said was that admissions in small private (especially church based) schools are made based on academic and spiritual criteria. My implication was that admissions are NOT made based on athletic ability. I know this is the case because A) I went to one

:D I taught and coached at one

C) My kids are currently in the

elementary school of one.

I think I must misunderstand your post...are you saying that because some 15 and 16 year old kids occasionally use bad language on the Football field that private schools recruit them? Seems kind of a weird position...

Or are you saying that if all the kids that go to a private school don't behave well then the school recruits? Again I don't understand the logic.

Help me understand what you are saying...