High School Refs

futbolphan

Hey your coming around yes the ref is incharge the teams must adjust to the ref because each one is different in how they see the game not the rules. Just like one side sees one thing and the other side sees another thing. As for the offsides call it is not the refs call it is the linemans call. It to is a judgement call as were the defender and offense are at the time of the kick. Most people see it after the ball is gone from the foot so when they see someone ahead they automatically say he missed that one, and it cost us a goal. ONE IMPORTANT THING IN SOCCER RULES WHICH IS IN THE FIFA RULES BOOK IT STATES THE FOLOWING: (IN THE OPINION OF THE REFEREE.), NOT THE PLAYERS, COACHES OR FANS.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Illi, no need to make it personal. IT is a fact that officials are human and you all will Make mistakes. Yes, sometimes your mistakes will determine the outcome of a game or 2 o three. Stop getting your feeling hurt and try to make a conscious effort to get better.

How fair is it to ask the kids to get better, to ask the coaches to get better, and not ask the officials to do the same.

As far as I having no clue i will not humor you with a response

Edited by soccergod15

im not saying in the opinions of the fans, players or coaches, i am saying in FACT that sometimes the player is not offsides and the ref blows the call.... Refs that have not played the game don't ahve the same credibility as refs who ahve played the game and alsodon't understand whats going on to thea same degree as a ref who once played.. you will see a decreas in bad/missed calls when you see more former players reffing....

Hey your coming around yes the ref is incharge the teams must adjust to the ref because each one is different in how they see the game not the rules. Just like one side sees one thing and the other side sees another thing. As for the offsides call it is not the refs call it is the linemans call. It to is a judgement call as were the defender and offense are at the time of the kick. Most people see it after the ball is gone from the foot so when they see someone ahead they automatically say he missed that one, and it cost us a goal. ONE IMPORTANT THING IN SOCCER RULES WHICH IS IN THE FIFA RULES BOOK IT STATES THE FOLOWING: (IN THE OPINION OF THE REFEREE.), NOT THE PLAYERS, COACHES OR FANS.

In my years of soccer I have saw to many games decided by the refs. Off side, no calls. to rough play, bite on a dive, and some so bad I sent film to the TSSAA to show how bad they were. Film does not lie it just shows the truth.

Over the years I have seen many refs who do not know the technical rules.

Everybody knows the basic stuff but I have seen incorrect restarts, yellow or no cards given for specific fouls that specifically call for a red card, coaches carded instead of expelled, and inappropriate signals of indirect and direct kicks. Illegal throw in are another issue.

How should both teams be able to tell if a kick is direct or indirect without asking the ref, if the ref is doing hid job?

PLEASE, DO NOT GET ME STARTED ON THE "OFFSIDE" THING...

FIRST OF ALL, THERE'S NO WAY, NO HOW, NOT EVER that a team of "two" refs can make what is already the most misunderstood call in the game, correct. You (Illini) talk about the FIFA rule book, show me which rule allows for "two" refs. One of the best teams I have ever seen, at working the offside trap (Hendersonville), is punished often because the ref is not in possition to call it. What's up with that?!

The day the refs do this for free, is the day I stop expecting them to call as close to a perfect game as possible.

I, too am a ref. I consider myself to be very knowledgeable of the rules of the game, but I know my limitations, unlike a whole lot of refs I have seen this fall. I do not want to go out and screw up a game that these kids have worked so hard for so long. They deserve quality refs, and they should get quality refs!

All this talk of FIFA rules and High School doesn't even use them. They use NFHS rules; that is why the test is open book and take home... Also, In response to the fool sayin refs have no affect on a game:

I can recall many occasions when a referee gave out an undeserved yellow for illigitimate things. One specific occasion: I was running down the field and full speed and kicked the ball at the same time another person kicked it and grunted. We both fell down and then I jumped up quickly and ran down field w/the ball. The ref blew his whistle, took out the yellow and held it up to me. After much struggle he finally mumbled "Too aggressive...too aggressive." I couldn't believe my ears...

It's calls like THAT that influence a game. If a ref wants to even the field, he takes out the good players.

Not long now before regions will be over, and as the teams get closer skillwize to one another, the refs make or break the game more often. The same refs that handle the reg season games handle the quarters and regions, and its not till state that the quality refs call your games (usually groups of 3 or 4 not 2!).

Could someone please explain the off sides trap. I think I have a concept but I don't completely understand. Soccer officials wouldn't be so bad if they would do two things.

1. Linesman hustle up and down the field. It si pretty sad whn you are so far out of position you cna't help the field ref.

2. Ignore the fans. You have enough problems with what is going on on the field much less worry about what the fans are saying. I have seen far to often soccer officials go to the stands and threaten to throw out fans or tell the to "shut up"

I have officiated over 20 years and I was told long ago that to be a good official you must hustle and you can't have rabbit ears.

Good officials gain respect by how they handle the game.

off sides trap: Simply put - the deepest defender or defenders step forward (towards mid field) enough to place an offensive player in the off sides position. The position of the offensive player in relationship to the deepest defender WHEN the ball is struck also comes in to play. I can explain that too but it can really be close when a team uses the off side trap.

Question: Who knows the correct way to attack the OST? I'll accept two specific answers

Question: Once placed in the off sides position by the OST how is a player able to regain the on sides position?

Most teams have defenders marking offensive players so they actually track the offensive player thus ALWAYS keeping him onsides by moving with him towards the goal.

Weak refs can KILL a team running the OST!

Hope that helps

off sides trap: Simply put - the deepest defender or defenders step forward (towards mid field) enough to place an offensive player in the off sides position. The position of the offensive player in relationship to the deepest defender WHEN the ball is struck also comes in to play. I can explain that too but it can really be close when a team uses the off side trap.

Question: Who knows the correct way to attack the OST? I'll accept two specific answers

Question: Once placed in the off sides position by the OST how is a player able to regain the on sides position?

Most teams have defenders marking offensive players so they actually track the offensive player thus ALWAYS keeping him onsides by moving with him towards the goal.

Weak refs can KILL a team running the OST!

Hope that helps

Blu there are only two ways I know of. The simplest and most common is for the attacker with the ball to beat the defense off the dribble rather than pass. The other, which is for more sophisticated players, is simply to have the attacking target player receive the ball at his or her feet and then play it through or over the defense to a penetrating midfielder (or possibly other forward) as they are making a vertical or diagonal run to get behind the last defender.