double play sports weekly scores knockout

helmetheadcase

i just wanted to say thank you to tim and double play sports for somone who was finally willing to write the article on the game and not jump on the highlander bandwagon. he praised cloudland and their football program, wish them luck in their quest for the state championship but he points out the wrong doings of beating a team by huge margins and the bad crap that can come out of it. he goes on to say unaka was wrong for the after game confrontation that occured and that it should have been taken behind closed doors with no players or fans present. he urged the administration and coaches to fix the problem and that they were the only ones who could do it. my wife liked it and she is blue and gold up and down. to krick thanks for the history lesson in that story about the game. i didn't know who captain joseph yossarian was .

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, the best story that I have read up to date inside DP Sports. You've got to remember H. Head, these guys are very educated. Carter County is lucky to have a sports weekly paper that's focus is nothing but on high school, jr. high and youth club sports. They might have slapped the highlanders on the wrist but they were also 4 pagers of nothing but highlander football, cheerleading and youth sports. They were quick to point out Unaka's wrongdoings which is the sign of a good reporter. I think the story on the cheerleaders was very good. They are a big part of high school football and don't get the credit they sometimes deserve. And when we were young they were fun to look at.

I think the story on the cheerleaders was very good. They are a big part of high school football and don't get the credit they sometimes deserve. And when we were young they were fun to look at.

ETSportsEditor-Thank you for your kind words about the cheerleaders. I have not seen the DoublePlay yet to read the article about the game but I was able to preview the story about the girls before Tim printed it. I really appreciate his support for all Highlander athletic programs. I look forward to reading the rest of the paper this evening and it is good to hear that he was able to put his emotions aside and still be objective. I am sure that was a tough job all things considered. Hopefully, we can put this behind us now.

I don't agree! Tim was not inside Lunceford's head during the game. I think this was a biased and judgemental article. Tim is not coaching either team and really has made a lot of assumptions and accusations toward Coach Lunceford that he knows nothing about. I will not do the same. I would really like to see this die and go away.

Tim said he struggled with this story. Would the struggle be that he is afraid of losing the income from the Cloudland fans? He chose to write this story in the way it was written and I can choose to never buy his paper. Reporting the news is one thing. Making unwarranted and hurtful statements is another.

I have not saw the article and probably don,t want to. If it says one single thing about anyone from Cloudland,coaches or players doing anything wrong,it is wrong. The only injustices that were done were committed by the Unaka side. Three things stand out to me ,Cobby Ensor cursing our coach,Unaka,s band or leader being totally rude,and all this whinning. One question I have is why did,nt Unaka want to shorten the game as they have in the past. The answer is simple,they wanted coach Lunsford to put a group in that they could score on and make them feel good. The truth will stand when the world falls. As for Groundround,you are totally wrong when you said this was a personal attack for some of the things thats happened in the past, do you not think we could have scored a hundred on Unaka last season.Whine and cry all you want to, all it does is make your kids look bad.All of our guys are and coaches feel just fine,they have done no one any injustice.Like it or not,this is the honest to Gods truth. Grow up and get over it.

This subject might DIE if someone wouldn't keep starting a new thread when one is locked. Both sides need to learn from this and MOVE on. PUJO - you say Unaka needs to grow up and quit whinning but then you complain about the band - haven't you ever seen Drumline?

I don't agree! Tim was not inside Lunceford's head during the game. I think this was a biased and judgemental article. Tim is not coaching either team and really has made a lot of assumptions and accusations toward Coach Lunceford that he knows nothing about. I will not do the same. I would really like to see this die and go away.

Tim said he struggled with this story. Would the struggle be that he is afraid of losing the income from the Cloudland fans? He chose to write this story in the way it was written and I can choose to never buy his paper. Reporting the news is one thing. Making unwarranted and hurtful statements is another.

I assume when people call you out, you better defend yourself or else the rumors will start to fly much like this board. RBC, first of all anytime you would love to discuss this with me why not call me or tell me where to meet you and we can "discuss it" but I won't write nothing "unless I can back it up." I was not biased in this article nor did I downgrade any of the Highlander players or coaching staff. As to paper sales, no one has twisted your arm and made you buy it. Buy it because you enjoy reading about Carter County sports not because of me or anyone else. I am sure that the good people of Roan Mtn. appreciate the hard work that goes into our paper. If I depended on income from this paper I would starve. I am blessed with a good job and do this as a hobby to help kids. Did I step on Coach L's toes? Yes. God forbid anyone be objective, but that's what a good reporter does they look at both sides of what happened. I also stepped on Unaka's. You might find this rather amazing RBC and Pujo but I have had several responses from Highlander fans that support the article. "Some from the parents of your own players. "It's an opinion, much like the ones you have only we choose to look at both sides and not just our own viewpoints. I find it hard to believe they would tell me one thing and you something else.

The paper contained over 4 pages of nothing but Cloudland School athletics this week. Everything we write about the Highlander kids is nothing but positive. You might want to talk to Kim "KrichUnaka" and find out what we did a few weeks back for several Highlander football players. On our way back from Asheville N.C. after we had gotten the paper printed we stopped off at Mars Hill College. My son is being recruited there but we made it a point to go to the football coach and talk to him about "Several Seniors on the Highlander football team" One was Dane Christman who we praised very highly. We gave him the players names and how to get in touch with them at the school. Do we want a pat on the back? No. We do it for the kids because we care about them. As for you, I could care less if you choose to read it or not. Did I state I was inside your coach's head? No. But maybe a part of me should have been, then we could have avoided all this discussion on Coach T. As for myself, I have chosen to move on to next week, for this game is now "water under the bridge." My telephone # is very easy to find.

Kudos to Double-Play sports. I hadn't bought one in a while (still remember those misguided attempts at reporting during the papers' infancy), and am impressed at the quality articles. I will gladly replace RBC as a weekly reader.

As for being hurtful, I believe that both Tim and Kim gave lunsford credit for being a great coach, as well as wishing the landers the best of luck. You are right RBC, they were not in lunsfords' head during the game; knowing what he was thinking or wasn't thinking, isn't the point. Op-ed pieces provide the writer with a forum to present an opinion, albeit popular or not. In this case, believe it or not roan mountain, the opinion was a popular one. Pujo, your forum is this site. The fact that your opinion will not cost you any money if it upsets someone, makes it easy to sit down and type out your beliefs. The fact that Double-play may lose a few customers, makes it that much harder for T&K to report. I believe they handled it very well.

First there was "Grumpy old men".....then "Grumpier old men". Pujo and RBC, I believe you two have the starring roles nailed down in "Grumpiest old men: The final chapter". :blink: Oh, glad to see Stockton is back, Will look forward to seeing him on the hard-wood at Hampton this winter.

Hey Pujo I know you guys have a good team, but how do you think your team stacks up against Boyd or South Pitt. Either team would be by far the best you have played this season? Would that be a good assumption? Do you feel Cloudland could beat either one of these teams easily? I personally think we would have a better chance against Cloudland than Boyd would. We have been to Roan Mountain, Boyd has not. We are more country boys than Boyd. Coming up there was a cultural shock for us last time. Imagine how the city slickers from Boyd would react. Good luck against those Virginia teams.