Maryville streak lives!

mhs

What a cool game, yeah. I still think of the '97 Maryville-Halls clash at the end of that season --- with the region championship also at stake --- as THE best high school football game I've experienced (as a player for the Rebels), though. When David Sweetland caught that pass from Toki McCray on fourth and like about 25 for a first down, and then Justin Deardorff kicked the winning field goal, the elation after the game was unbelievable. Of course the year before, we had just gone through a miserable 5-5 season, so it really felt good to win the region in a year where we went 13-2. I also might be biased because I had always wanted to beat Halls (after going there to middle school).

Then there was that state championship game last year against Hillsboro that was pretty darn memorable, too! Hillsboro had us on the ropes and we outcoached 'em.

And there's been a couple of good games against Elizabethton. Some good games against Morristown West and there was a good one against Hixson, too.

But I have to say this game belonged somewhere in the top five most exciting MHS games I've seen!

Great game. Congrats to both Maryville AND Central for playing their hearts out and showing the state what they were all about. They will meet again in the playoffs!

Favorite play of the game for me: That 20-yard tackle for loss on Cassen Jackson in the first OT. That was so sweet, I had been waiting for the defense to do that all game long! Save the best for last, I guess...

Offensive play: the first-quarter pass to Chase Sanders and his RAC for a touchdown was great! It was totally unexpected for me to see him make a play like that. We might keep losing players (unfortunately, but it's all part of the game), but we just keep reloading. Go MHS!

P.S. Best wishes to Chris Large and thank you for all your hard work and dedication to the game and for your invaluable part in this 35-game winning streak. Best wishes to Ryan Headrick also, and glad to know you're getting better. Some things are more important than football.

Edited by Philster043

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:angry: I've said this all along!  I've only picked against Maryville 2 times this year:West and Central.  I don't understand how you're going to label me something because of two bad predictions. 

Now to the game, I must say I agree with a lot of you about this being one of the best games of all time.  The outcome, I wish it was different but hey what can I say when you know GQ is on the field.  He made a great call and and Central wasn't expecting that.  But there may be a next time so Maryville don't get your hopes up because Central knows what it takes to beat ya.  If the rematch goes down, Central by 3 in OT :D

AERoadrunners you are starting to sound like a broken record. You picked Central last year and we beat them. You said they would beat us in the playoffs. Slight problem there they did not make it that far. Saying the same thing this year. And I know for certain you said that Carter would beat us in the week zero game. Your exact words I belive were "i smell an upset". I said if before and i'll say it again. Just be glad your beloved roadrunners, who struggled with mighty scott county the other night does not have to play central or maryville either one.

Edited by mhs

It's ok. Let AE keep picking against maryville. I like it when he does. Before this central game he was all "i'm not gonna tell you who I picked until someone opens up a thread" acting like everybody really cared who he picked. This time, he didn't even allow us any suspense, he just jumped ahead a month and picked central if we meet. I guess some people will never learn. It's like the guy on the crankyankers - question 1, do you know a slow person? - no. question 2, do you know a slow person -no, question 3, do you know a slow person -no, question 4 do you know a slow person -no . . . i mean, after being wrong enough times you'd think AE would catch on and pick for maryville. Maybe they'd lose. But, then again, I guess it's never in a west graduate's/ i'm gonna cheer for a real team because I want to be a winner's heart to hope that a team like maryville wins.

So fine- so what i called him a ######. whatever happend happend it was posted in the lockeroom at Maryville and it fired the boys up. yes i gave "props" to Cassen and Zach they both deserved it. Actually shook Helton's hand after the game. seems likea nice guy doubt he said that bottom line someone said it from central thats all it took to fire up just about the entire school. great job both teams best game i've ever seen. Round 3 should be another classic battle.

aeroadrunners , your team you've adopted ( since west doesn't win enough for you ) may be a winner , but you sir , are a loser . you have zero credibility as far as football knowledge goes , you let your hatred and jealousy of MARYVILLE cloud your vision . to call MARYVILLE " weak " is absolutely the most ignorant thing i've ever read on the internet . i guess if MARYVILLE is "weak " , what does that make central , who btw spanked your mighty roadrunners very handily in that preseason scrimmage !! that's the difference between a winner and a loser aeroadrunners , a winner can give respect and acknowledge great heart in an opponent , someone like you has to resort to belittling and putting a great school down , right after they've shown the heart of a lion and a champion . i truly feel sorry for you , that you live in such a small world of envy and insecurity .

Edited by pepvol

NOTE TO ALL MARYVILLE FANS:

Yea I know Maryville has won 30 something straight games, but you better enjoy it while you have it. Maryville has got lucky so many times its unreal. Take a look at ohio state and notre dame, they lucked up all last year and now this year their luck ran out. Enjoy it while you have it because your luck is going to run out quicker then you think, most likely in the playoffs against Central!!!!!!

alcoa06 Posted on Oct 25 - 08:31 PM

Yea I know Maryville has won 30 something straight games, but you better enjoy it while you have it. Maryville has got lucky so many times its unreal. Take a look at ohio state and notre dame, they lucked up all last year and now this year their luck ran out. Enjoy it while you have it because your luck is going to run out quicker then you think, most likely in the playoffs against Central!!!!!! 

has someone got a fly swatter i could use to smack this pesky gnat that's come in here on this thread and landed on my rear ????

HOw was Maryville lucky last night? They made plays when they had to and won the game. I know you Alcoa folks cannot wait for us to lose. Lucky is how you beat Heritage this year. After they spent the first half shoving it down your throat they kept shooting themselves in the foot and you return a fumble for the touchdown. Your jealousy is showing! Us winning when you are praying for us to lose does not make us lucky.

luck=

starter who was involved with nearly every play of the game (alex rouse)

starter who was the heart of maryvilles defense (ryan headrick)

starter who had a sore throwing arm and was nicked up (cade thompson)

starter who was the best and only senior on the OL (chris large)

starter who was going to play in place of the injured ryan headrick (BJ)

all who didnt play during the game

so if this is luck i would hate to see what unlucky is

even with all those STARTERS out we sill manganged to come away with the Win....All heart

Edited by crkjon

luck=

starter who was involved with nearly every play of the game (alex rouse)

starter who was the heart of maryvilles defense (ryan headrick)

starter who had a sore throwing arm and was nicked up (cade thompson)

starter who was the best and only senior on the OL (chris large)

starter who was going to play in place of the injured ryan headrick (BJ)

all who didnt play during the game

so if this is luck i would hate to see what unlucky is

even with all those STARTERS out we sill manganged to come away with the Win....All heart

Great post crkjon. Them facts should shut a lot of critics up.