Best team in Tennessee

falconfan94

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last year DB took MBA to 3 overtimes and lost.  DB was up by 16 at one point in the third and made some mistakes and gave up big plays.  The year before DB won at MBA.  A few weeks before we played MBA last year, DB scrimmaged Maryville and they handed it to us like you could not imagine.  I know last year Maryville would have torched any Super 7 team. And I say, DB having taken your Super 7 champs to the wire could have played with any other Super 7 team as well.  But, having seen all teams discussed in this post, Maryville was far better than any team mentioned.

Real football is played everywhere in Tennessee blu.  Your Super 7 is from top to bottom the best league in Tennessee yes, but the top few in 4A, and 5A can always, compete with the Super 7 top few.

Great post bud.

There is no doubt in my mind that the Super7 is a great conference. Probably the best in the state. But. Like bud said, The top teams in 4A,5A and even a 3A team like AE or Fulton could give a Super7 team all they want.

Another thing to remember. Brentwood Academy was in 4A for 2 years in 93-94. They didn't win one State Title during that time frame.Cleveland beat BA in the 93 title game. Haywood County beat BA in the playoffs in 1994.

Edited by REBELRON

But in 2002 MBA was the Super 7 champs, best of the best and DB played them toe to toe with key players out and more put out by cramps in the 3rd and 4th.

I know what you are trying to say. I am saying that there are several teams like DB that can give you good competition every year.

I love D-B! Their coach is awesome (MBA interviewed him after RB left) and they embody the "we'll play anybody anytime" mentality of the truly fearless teams...I don't even care if we lose games like this; it's at least fun to play them...D-B had no reason to play us and they did anyways...I have tons of respect for you guys...

Maryville has nothing to defend themselves about. They are the top 4A team in the state and have been for a few years...but you wanna be the man, you gotta beat the man...

why would Maryville not want a piece of BA or MBA? I would if I were them...

I would love to see Maryville play MBA or Brentwood Academy.

And you think those high school polls are accurate? Trinity was 3 or 4 and did not belong anywhere near. Alot of those polls are, based around bigger media hubs, a blue chip player, and other factors that make them incorrect. I think we all know that #1 is correct though. I think that there are probably 100 teams between Texas, California, and Florida that could beat MBA or any team in TN for that matter.

I agree that those polls aren't accurate. Those polls are based on year to year consistency, media hubs, etc and not who's actually best on any particular year. There is no real way they could come up with a list of who's actually the best teams every year, so that is just mostly a formal thing. The private schools normally remain at the top of this list since it's easy for them to keep their talent pool up and self promote themselves through the media, etc into a better ranking over the period of a number of years.

MBAalumnus Posted on Nov 4 - 03:26 PM

I love D-B! Their coach is awesome (MBA interviewed him after RB left) and they embody the "we'll play anybody anytime" mentality of the truly fearless teams...I don't even care if we lose games like this; it's at least fun to play them...D-B had no reason to play us and they did anyways...I have tons of respect for you guys...

Maryville has nothing to defend themselves about. They are the top 4A team in the state and have been for a few years...but you wanna be the man, you gotta beat the man...

why would Maryville not want a piece of BA or MBA? I would if I were them... 

this is exactly what i'm talking about , how arrogant to think that MARYVILLE would be scared of you . not only arrogant , but stupid as well . i believe all this disrespecting of the public schools from you private guys stems from the lawsuits and the separation and all of that crap . well let me let you guys in on a little secret , MARYVILLE had nothing to do with all of that . i , and every MARYVILLE fan i know , would absolutely love to play anybody in the state of TENNESSEE ........... period !! as far as that goes any great high school in the nation we would love to play . we're playing by the rules given us by the governing body of high school football in TENNESSEE . i guess you guys will call us cowards unless we go renegade and just decide to schedule whoever we please . get a grip guys , it's not going to happen anytime soon . till then , all we all can do is try to win everything we can in the classification we're in . why is it so hard to accept that there's several really good teams out there in TENNESSEE . YOUR ALSO A NIMROD IF YOU THINK THAT ANY TRUE THOUGHT OR EVALUATION HAS WENT INTO THE USA TODAY NATIONAL RANKINGS !!! i could care less about what USA TODAY has to say , i'd much rather have a gold ball at the end of the year !!!

gawd almighty calm down, Francis...

you guys are all very good at the "straw man" technique: you invent your own arguments, and then just assign the position you want to knock down (like a straw man) to whoever is closest (in this case, me)...

now, as you should be able to see, I have tons of respect for D-B (public school last time I checked) for playing us...you guys are a fine program...D-B fans can claim to have beated MBA...Maryville cannot...why is it that you are all so defensive? jeez...

Edited by MBAalumnus

Maryville is not the best team in TN this year. This is a rebuilding year. They still managed a 10-0 regular season record. That's worth something. Last year Maryville could have beat any team in the state. Hillsboro as well. Maryville's 98 team was one of the best in state history. Only undefeated team that year, and set several records. They blew everyone off the ball except the close game against Elizabethton and Witten. LC sounds like that Maryville team. I guess what I'm getting at is that Maryville is one of those teams that for the last few years and a few more to come are capable of beating anybody in the state. Are we the best overall? We'll never know. Do we have the longest streak in the state? Yes.

if anyone on here can provide a compelling reason why Dobbyns-Bennett, Lincoln County, and Cleveland were able to schedule MBA and Maryville somehow is unable to, I will shut up

This has been discussed in earlier threads. Maryville has 10 regular season games. 6 are region. 3 are County games (tradition) and 1 open spot. Several years ago It was decided that Maryville would play MoWest in the one open spot. This has been a very smart move since it gives both teams experience against other good 4A teams. Maryville scrimmages DB and Oak Ridge. MoWest is on the schedule for a few more years I believe. If Maryville moves to 5A they will likely have 3 open spots instead of 1. You might see an effort to schedule a super 7 then. But, don't try to infer that Maryville is afraid. Coach Quarles would rather lose a game to gain experience than not play a tough team.

By the way, why do you think that Maryville has to play you to prove themselves? Do you think you are that good? Remember that you all have been world-beaters for about a season and a half. Maryville has been doing it since 97.

Remember that you all have been world-beaters for about a season and a half.  Maryville has been doing it since 97.

FWIW, MBA has won as many titles (4) in the past five years as Maryville has.

(I know, I know, shorter road to the title, but you can't dispute MBA's competition.)

Edited by rollredroll