Brentwood Academy 27, MBA 24 (OT)

WesVLT

Brentwood Academy and Montgomery Bell Academy each proved a few things tonight:

1)They are two of the best teams in Tennessee if not THE two best teams.

2)They possess great football ability but even more heart.

3)They refuse to play a game that doesn't leave us on the edge of our seats.

4)They are Nashville's best football rivalry.

5)Neither team will EVER forget this game!!

MBA: you have a fantastic football team who played a very good game. I commend you for your efforts and wish you the best of luck in the Semifinals. I want to see a rematch!

EAGLES: I could not be prouder!!!! I thought you would win the whole time, but decided to see if I could stir you guys up by picking against you!!!! YOU PROVED ME WRONG. Thanks!!!!

IMPARTIAL FANS: This game was one of the best all year between two of the best teams Tennessee has to offer. Both squads played hard, classy, passionate football, and both were champions! Obviously, the referees made a controversial call at the end of regulation regarding the field goal, and though I did not see it I'll trust the members of this site who all say the snap was not on time. Hence, it was a bad call. Still, you cannot ignore 47 minutes and 59.5 seconds of regulation and a round of Overtime and automatically say that BA was handed the game. The Eagles placed themselves inside the MBA 15 by their own merit, just as they scored 21 points and held MBA on their last possession. Furthermore, even after the bad call, the Eagles scored 3 points in OT and MBA scored 0.

THE BOTTOM LINE: Both teams played well enough to win this football game, and had MBA won I would've gladly said that they deserved it. But BA deserved to win as well, and they pulled it out in Overtime. Both teams played with heart and played awesome football, and it would be a SHAME to hear a bunch of you folks whining about one call and discounting the tenacity of both the Eagles and the Big Red during the other 50 minutes of football.

CONGRATULATIONS TO BA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love you guys, and wish I was there.

EAGLES 27, BIG RED 24...How sweet it is!

Edited by WesVols

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I will say this one time...

My comments in my first post in the thread and now in this post will be my only response to those who attempt to discount BA's win due to the final call. Let's give the BA kids credit for playing brilliantly and putting themselves in position for it to come down to one call. If you disagree with the call, that's fine. So do I (although I'm glad they made it!). But don't trash BA because of it, trash the refs. BA did not cheat. They played hard and got a break, then won the game in OT when MBA had the same odds BA did.

From now on if anyone wishes to talk about the GAME, let's talk about it right here. I for one only got to watch OT on TV, the rest of the time I was receiving phone updates. How did the teams look? Who were the best players? Let's have a little reasonable talk about what happened, not what might have been.

Rollredroll, you continue to be a positive example with your respect and dignity. I admire you for it, and congratulate your team on a fine game.

Edited by WesVols

Ok, I've calmed down. It was an absolutely fabulous game. I just hated to see the ending that it had. Congrats to BA. They played a great game, as did the Big Red. I hope to see a rematch in three weeks.

By the way, I'm not associated in any way with MBA, so I hope my snide comments tonight haven't reflected poorly on the Gentlemen, Scholars, and Athletes. I got a little carried away.

OK...I'm calmer now, and thank God for some reasonable MBA posters about this.

MBA is a really, really good High School football team. Fisher's poise and athleticism are unbelievable. Koban runs tougher than anyone I've seen this season. BA had a tough time tackling both Fisher and Koban. They are really strong. They are extermely well coached and make very few mistakes. On defense, I thought Pilkerton played great, as did Koban. Most of MBA's loner pass plays were catch after run. They didn't really throw the long ball much, or very effectively.

BA's offensive line was getting great push most of the game. The drives were classic smashmouth run it down your throat drives. The tight ends were put into motion on about half the plays, and that seemed to work well. Townsend and Ford ran the ball tough, and Holbert played his usual good game. BA's receivers had a tough time holding onto the ball tonight. Several long passes just flat out dropped. I was surprised they were able to get open so often.

Despite all the other "stuff", this was one of the best, most exciting football games I've ever seen, and a lot of credit goes to both teams. Hope we meet again.

The scoreboard on the field was not in sync with the official clock on the field. When the clock stopped at about 17 seconds it should have stopped at 20 seconds, the scoreboard keeper did not stop it in time but that is not the official clock. The official clock is on the field and according to it there was still time remaining when the ball was kicked. The field goal was not a bad call but was the correct call.

Edited by jobetec