5eagleball

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Joe's column in the Tennessean Sunday:

Time for instant replay

TV replays of the game-tying field goal by Brentwood Academy Friday night show that the game clock expired several seconds before the Eagles got the kick off. Brentwood Academy went on to upset MBA 24-21 in overtime.

Game officials blew that one. Despite all the chaos, someone should have seen the clock. It marred what was a wonderful high school game.

But with as few teams as they have playing in the MBA-Brentwood Academy classification, odds are good they will play in the state championship game again, as they did last year when MBA took the trophy home.

At least Joe Biddle gave some justice to the mba football team, telling the rest of the country the truth of how the game really ended, instead of letting people all over the country think that BA won the game. the refs in that game were awful and blew many calls for mba. MBA was definatly the better team and won the game fairly.

so mize, you're honestly telling me that you think that the field goal was good? just wanted to hear the opinion of a student not on the team. i found it a little amusing that even carlton flat quoted in the paper that he "thought the game was over". and Biddle has absolutely no ties to MBA at all, and i'm almost positive that that's the first article he has written about the Big Red this year, but i may be wrong. So i don't see the logic behind sayin that he's completely one sided, seemed to me that the article was written because of a heart felt belief that MBA got royaly screwed, and i'm pretty confident that everyone who saw the game deep down feels the same way as him, regardless of what school you were cheering for.

It will long be debated whether time had expired in regulation play at the BA vs. MBA game Friday evening which BA eventually won. What will not be debated is that the long-snapper for MBA simply did not get the job done when it counted the most. A good snap, a good punt and BA would most likely not have had an opportunity to score and MBA would not have had reason to whine about the officials.

It will long be debated whether time had expired in regulation play at the BA vs. MBA game Friday evening which BA eventually won. What will not be debated is that the long-snapper for MBA simply did not get the job done when it counted the most. A good snap, a good punt and BA would most likely not have had an opportunity to score and MBA would not have had reason to whine about the officials.

I agree the snap was bad, but you can count up other plays that could have made a difference. The Ref's non-call was Bad and I don't have a dog in the fight I just call'em like I see'em.

It will long be debated whether time had expired in regulation play at the BA vs. MBA game Friday evening which BA eventually won.  What will not be debated is that the long-snapper for MBA simply did not get the job done when it counted the most.  A good snap, a good punt and BA would most likely not have had an opportunity to score and MBA would not have had reason to whine about the officials.

rbtenn, you're exactly right. The referees may or may not have missed the call at regulation's end, but if MBA didn't miss that play or if they had won it in OT, we wouldn't be having this discussion. The bottom line is that this game did not consist of just one play, no matter what people on this board contend.

Edited by WesVols

the replay of the game is being shown tuesday night at 7 i think. anyone who doubts that mba was robbed will be able to see that the referees made one of the worst calls in the history of football. mba will bounce back though. hopefully both teams will play again in the clinic bowl with an officiating crew that is somewhat competent.

Wes, you honestly think that had MBA gone on to win in overtime we wouldn't be having this discussion? I beg to differ.

I'm over it, considering there is absolutely nothing that can be done about it. What keeps occasionally dragging me back, however, are the repeated attempts to justify the call and the refusal to admit that it was absolutely horrific, incompetent officiating.