Knoxville West @ Knoxville Central

medman

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both of these teams have gotten better since week 3. The defense that West played against then, is not the same D Central has now. Since these schools play each other every year, there are few surprises. But if a new wrinkle on a play can be added, it could be huge.

West will have to get the ball to Williford. He is probably the best reciever I've seen this year. I think Hootie will have to have a big game for West to stay in it.

Central just has to play smart. They can't have a bunch of penalties and turnovers to keep West in it. Shavar's ankle is also a concern. He has not been the same since.

I think this will be a close game, but I see Central winning by 2 tds.

One game at a time.

I agree Central has the advantage, but they must play mistake free and not give West any easy scores. West did beat Cleveland at home last week a task not done this year since last years defeat to Maryville in the playoffs. The crowd was really into the game in Cleveland from what I heard so I don't think Centrals home crown will be much of a factor. West will have plenty of fans there as well. The Halls and Cleveland were big games for the Improving West squad; Central has not won the Big Game this year. West should play tough and given some brakes could upset the bobcats. I think Central will win by 10 and get the ticket to visit Maryville again. Another thought.

I have watched and read up on this Knox West team. I think I have figured out what makes them successfull. If #5 Nate Martin has a good game and takes pressure off of Abdul, and Williford, the West team has success. When he does not make any difference in the game they lose. I do think that Williford makes some difference too, but When Nate gets the ball and is able to do a few small things with it. It makes the other two guys have success. Go back and look at all the ball games that they have had success in. Nate gives you a third man to try and stop. He is not the best player on the team he just has to do some things to help take pressure off of Williford and Abdul.

Edited by PLACALL

bad news for west. centrals defense is finaly figured out the scheme coach mac has been trying to get them to play. they are jelling at the right time (playoffs). congratulations on beating a good cleveland team, but this central team has finaly put it together. just like my boys use to say in 1999 "we ready".

This could potentially be a good game. West is high off of probably the biggest win of the year. Central seems to be getting close to hitting on all cyllinders. I think that West believes in their minds that they can beat Central. I do think that the statement from the coach of a 5-5 team that they should be undefeated is a little far fetched though. The truth remains that Central beat West 42-20 in their first meeting. Granted both teams have improved, I think that if Central gets rolling early and gets up a couple of scores, West will remember the beating from week 2 and admit defeat. The only problem with that is that Central has not been good starters in the past two weeks. Against Powell, the started with a 21-0 deficit. Last week they only scored 7 points in the opening quarter. I really think that the first half will set the tone in this one.

1footballfan,

The West coach didn't make the comment about they should be undefeated, it was when they were interviewing Abdul "Hootie" Henderson after the Cleveland game.

One thing to consider is that West was really banged up in the week 2 matchup. They were without 3 starting linebackers and couldn't tackle Cassen. I'm not saying it will lead to a West win but people didn't realize it because Coach Cummings didn't make excuses about getting beat. Tanner Hiles at middle LB makes a difference for them. They are as healthy right now as they have been all year.

I have watched and read up on this Knox West team. I think I have figured out what makes them successfull. If #5 Nate Martin has a good game and takes pressure off of Abdul, and Williford, the West team has success. When he does not make any difference in the game they lose. I do think that Williford makes some difference too, but When Nate gets the ball and is able to do a few small things with it. It makes the other two guys have success. Go back and look at all the ball games that they have had success in. Nate gives you a third man to try and stop. He is not the best player on the team he just has to do some things to help take pressure off of Williford and Abdul.

Placall

Good point. In addition, it wouldn't hurt if west ran the mid-line. We all know they got tha athletes to do it! McCallie ran it and Central aint stoped it yet. Yeah, yeah I know it was a different Central D then, but does that really matter? Any kind of option requires asignment football something that Central is not really schemed to do. I would sure love to see West get in the "I" or "flex"and run a little Midline at the boob cats. Now stoping the boobie cats is a horse of a different color.

bad news for west. centrals defense is finaly figured out the scheme coach mac has been trying to get them to play. they are jelling at the right time (playoffs). congratulations on beating a good cleveland team, but this central team has finaly put it together. just like my boys use to say in 1999 "we ready".

Is that what they said right before they laid an egg in the state championship game?