Giles County's Discipline (or lack thereof)

wneely

Today Giles County defeated Shelbyville by a substantial margin, but was not impressive at all. People are so caught up in the run and gun dunkfests Giles is known for, that they forget that DEFENSE wins championships. Giles County turned the ball over many times today, mostly just because they weren't really hustling.

Without being critical, someone needs to instill some discipline into the Giles County locker room, and someone, most likely a senior, needs to step up and take over as the leader of team. And thru the pre-season workouts and scrimmages, the player who has proven to me the most that he is ready to play this year is Shay Shannon.

Shay, you need to let everyone on the team know that it is the seniors LAST high school season, and anything less than a repeat as state champs will be considered a failure. Giles has enough raw talent and athleticism to make it back to Murfreesboro, but unless someone actually steps up and tells the team "hey get on my back and I'll carry this team", then some scrappy little team who plays tenacious defense (LIKE Shelbyville) will nip them when it matters most (tourney time).

Shelbyville played a great game today, but if Giles County would have came out focused and disciplined, I have no doubt in my mind the Bobcats would have embarressed Shelbyville.

Also, the student section, if we have one, is falling apart. There are only about 10 people who are cheering, even if it is a preseason scrimmage, people need to decide whether they want to be a part of this student section or not.

Whew. I'm done ranting. Critique this post as you may, I don't care. :ph34r:

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe just last year there were post on here about the lack of discipline that Giles Co. displayed. Whether the coach is lacking or the players it will show. It could have been that last year's State Championship team was so talented that the discipline matter was held in check.

wneely, being such a big Giles Co. fan what do you forsee and what do you think is the resolution.

I know you have posted numerous threads about Giles Co. and I have found them to be informative.

I am not a Giles Co. fan, although I think that have a talented (or have the makings of a talented team.) It is indeed going to take someone to step up and guide this team if they want to make it back to the boro.

Last year was last year and it is to be commended but, alot of people would love to knock off Giles Co. this season.

1 of 3 things will happen.

1) Things will continue like they are, the Bobcats will end up like 28-2 and will suddenly find themselves eliminated. Something which every fan will wonder why. Last year when Bolivar took the lead in the substate game with 1.1 seconds remaining, half of the crowd thought the game was over, but didn't know how the mighty Bobcats could lose. Simple. They were outhustled and outplayed. It took a fluke to send the Bobcats to the Boro.

2) The Giles players will clamp down and play HARD NOSED defense (remember, I'm a Michigan Wolverine fan, defense is my favorite thing) and will probably have the tools to go undefeated. I wouldn't mind a 36-10 game if the Bobcats could learn to play SWARMING defense. We can't have lazy straggelers snowbirding or not giving 110% to get a dunk opportunity at the other end of the court.

3) Or, the Bobcats will tighten down just enough on defense to eek out another State Title.

I agree that last year's heart and dedication of the 4 seniors was a major reason why Giles Co. won the state tournament. The Bolivar game was bad, but even though the State tourney games were close, the Bobcats were always within striking distance.

Agree with your last post wneely. Strength of last year's team was the willingness of the players to accept their role. Those four seniors will be missed because of their unselfish play. Each one in their own right could have sought more of the spotlight but always put the team first. The underclassmen bought into the concept and the rest is history. This year's team has more overall talent but to reach their potential they must learn that their strength comes from playing together as a unit on both ends of the court. I believe they will get their and the GOLD BALL will continue to reside in GC. Thanks to last year's seniors for demostrating how the blueprint works!!!!!!!!!!

Lack of discipline always reflects poor leadership. There are no exceptions. Giles county has tremendous talent and athleticism but are not disciplined. They try to block every shot, and would rather dunk than play good defense. They are only doing what any kid their age would do. If coaches encourage alley hoops, alley hoops will be thrown. If a kid snowbirds and dunks and is not pulled, then it will keep happening. Plus the younger bobcats on the bench see that and then they think that's okay. Coaches and seniors should lead by examples. But what if the examples being led are incorrect? Eric Howard played defense, was a good leader, and played with alot of heart last year. That's why they won the title. With the departure of Howard as a team leader this year, who will fill his shoes? Or can they be filled? Giles county will win alot of games this year on pure talent, but talent doesn't always win championships DEFENSE AND GOOD LEADERSHIP WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS!!!!!!

Now we are talking...After watching Giles County scrimmage Hickman County, I mentioned right then that there was a lot of nothing going on. Yesterday proved it. I saw nothing but pure laziness mixed with a little gleam of hope. There was so much snowbirding going on. Lest we forget, in order to get a break-away dunk, you have to play defense!!!!!!!!! There was no one on the Shelbyville team that could matchup on the floor, yet we couldn't block shots or steal the ball. I think Giles County fans and followers are quickly going to display their unacceptance for that style of play. However, Giles did have some bright spots in the game...Shay Shannon got on a role and hit 5 straight 3-balls. Zach Holt proved he could play point and he did it rather nicely. I also noticed yesterday that Shelbyville was driving the lane at will. Why is that...I know we have the speed to stay with them...oh I forgot....everyone wants to dunk, so the guards leave the lane open and break for the other end...real smart guys.

Coach Holt and the team has a very long way to go to get back to the 'BORO' and everyone knows it.

Also, did anyone see Tyler show his disapproval when Coach Holt decided to hold the ball at the end of the game. Tyler, if I was coaching you, you would need a padded seat, because your butt would be ridin the pine after that. Never disrespect your coach...

Wow, this is a shame to hear. But it doesn't suprise me. I believe it was me last year who said some players from Giles had sorry attitudes (Tyler Smith) when I first saw them in the state tournament. I hate to hear things have gotten worse. They have so much talent and it's a shame they are letting it go to waste. Oh well, keep it up GC. You are the only team in Middle Tn that has the talent to compete with Memphis and the top teams from Region 6 and 7 (West Tn) but appearently do not have the correct attitudes. If there is one thing most teams west of the Tennessee River like to do is play defense. See ya in sub-state, maybe.

Thanks for your insights wneeley. Keep in mind that these pre-season games really mean nothing and a lot of teams don't take them seriously and don't give it their all. Once the season starts, I believe your team will buckle down and play with more discipline. The same applies to your fan support - they'll show up once the season starts. Giles has a lot of talent and maybe you're right in that they need a team leader, like Shay Shannon, to step up and organize their talented yet ragged play. Don't get discouraged by these pre-season games. I'm sure Giles will get it all together in the regular season. Looking forward to seeing you and the rest of Giles students in the coming season.

here yall go again talking about lazy defense and poor attitudes but only if yall knew what yall were talking about then yall could comment . it was a scrimmage and the real season doesn't start until next tuesday when the mighty bobcats go to put a stone cold steve austin whoop !!! on lawrenceburg.

I've talked to a couple of the GC players and the laziness on defense comes from the refs not letting the player if they want them to get ready for the collegiate level the shouldn't call every little call they could get into the groove of the game without the whistle being blowed there were like a numerous of fouls that wouldn't be fouls at the next level and I've played at that level so i've been told if you come on here to say anything about the bobcats that you dont like go talk to the bobcats after they make yall eat the same words that yall had to eat last year by the way I've been told to holla back at the bobcats when they get that gold ball in M-town

Edited by 5footer