Melrose at Hillsboro

WesVLT

Region 4AA Tournament  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Region 4AA Tournament

I wish they would both lose, but we know that is silly. I feel like Melrose should win but Hillsboro has all the experienced tools to move to the next game vs. Maryville I hope. Besides Quarrles has still got some game film on those borros!

Good luck to both teams.

MHS isn't even in the final yet..........and they are playing a good MoWest team. I am not saying there going to lose, just ppl are expecting too much out of them.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have pulled and will continue to pull for Melrose. This stems largely from respect for the character and talent of the Melrose football team. However, I am going to have to disagree with some of you guys on this one. I think, if Hillsboro is going to have chance, it will have to be a high scoring game. Melrose's offense is incredible and they will put points on the board. Hillsboro will have to answer or be routed. My pick: Melrose 35 Hillsboro 21

well...i think melrose it gonna take it all this year..they are to fast to lose....lol-JCM did a great job at limiting the high powered offense of the wildcats...but they are very tough...and for JCM'S running back getting a 100 yrds on them...who couldnt get a 100 on 36 carries.....granted he was top notch against other opponents..but him getting 100 on them is decieving.....they will shut down anyone they play- and since they put us out convincingly....im pulling for them...wildcats by 7

I have pulled and will continue to pull for Melrose. This stems largely from respect for the character and talent of the Melrose football team. However, I am going to have to disagree with some of you guys on this one. I think, if Hillsboro is going to have chance, it will have to be a high scoring game. Melrose's offense is incredible and they will put points on the board. Hillsboro will have to answer or be routed. My pick: Melrose 35 Hillsboro 21

You could have said the same thing about both Hillsboro and Melrose last year, and looked at what happened. In some ways, these teams mirror each other. It should be close, but who knows.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I really hope Melrose wins. I think they would have a better chance of ending Maryville's reign as 4A champs than Hillsboro. Hillsboro has played and lost to Maryville the last 2 years by being outcoached and by running a one-dimensional offense that can't pass. If they get behind in a game, they're done. It would be the same old crap this year. Hillsboro can't beat Maryville.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I really hope Melrose wins. I think they would have a better chance of ending Maryville's reign as 4A champs than Hillsboro. Hillsboro has played and lost to Maryville the last 2 years by being outcoached and by running a one-dimensional offense that can't pass. If they get behind in a game, they're done. It would be the same old crap this year. Hillsboro can't beat Maryville.

gator,

Thanks for chomping in and taking time away from your sportswriting profession to give us your gifted insight. Maybe you should pick up the Mt. Juilet paper and see if there is a basketball game you can go cover.

gator

Hillsboro led Maryville practically all game last year. Were it not for three trick plays going 100% right for Maryville and their deeper bench (which we can't help), then Hillsboro would have won.

As for Hillsboro being outcoached, you don't know what you're talking about. Both staffs are exceptional in their own right. Fans for either team will attest to that much.

Hillsboro will not be out coached. I think one key will be whether or not Melrose can slow down Hillsboro's running game. If they can Hillsboro could have problems especially if Melrose can slow it down without putting 10 or 11 in the box. Hillsboro has an awesome running game and probably 99% of the time that is enough. Their lack of passing did hurt them against us last year in the title game though. I have of course seen Hillsboro play twice the past two years in the title game but I have not seen Melrose. However i hear about their running backs, receivers and their quarterback which indicates to me they may have more balance on offense than Hillsboro which could become a factor. It becomes tiring for many of us Maryville people to hear "trick plays" used as the reason we won. These types of plays are often used against a fast aggressive defense in an attempt to catch them in over pursuit. I assume the third "trick play" mentioned was the onsides kick which was executed to perfection at a time when Hillsboro was looking for it. Another way of saying they went "100% right" is to say they were well executed.

Edited by mhs

It becomes tiring for many of us Maryville people to hear "trick plays" used as the reason we won. These types of plays are often used against a fast aggressive defense in an attempt to catch them in over pursuit. I assume the third "trick play" mentioned was the onsides kick which was executed to perfection at a time when Hillsboro was looking for it. Another way of saying they went "100% right" is to say they were well executed.

Great post MHS. Call it what you want, but its legal and smart to run that type of play. To hear some Hillsboro fans, they would have wanted Maryville to run it up the middle every play for nothing, because then the defense can stop them. Come on!!! If something isn't working, try something else. I prefer the word "unconventional" for our plays because that's what they are. Every single play in theory should try to trick a defense, otherwise you wouldn't gain anything. They are only trick plays for a defense that isn't looking for it.

kwc:

Good post.  Do you know why Melrose didn't kick the PAT last year?  I don't think they will go for two this year if they score, do you?

I agree with you about the low score.  This year could be a replay of last year's war.  The Melrose crowd was great, and I'm afraid you will not see a huge fan base for Hillsboro this Friday night.  Hope I'm wrong, but Hillsboro has learned to play for themselves.

I do think Melrose will have benefited from playing in last year's game. Some of the leadership on Hillsboro's team pulled them through last year's game. 

How is Melrose's line this year?  I hear that is where they have had the most turnover.

Thanks Stan,

To answer your questions, I'd have to reply as follows:

1.) I haven't asked the coach why they went for 2 points, so whatever I say here is just speculation on my part. Counting last years semi final game, I have only witnessed one other time, in the five games I attended this year, that the coach decided to go for 2 points. That was in the CBHS game at the beginning of the season, and that attempt was successful in giving them the lead, late in the game. I don't know if they went for 2 points on any other occasions this year or not. Upon my observations, It appears that the coach will go for two in close games to put pressure on the other team. He has confidence in his teams ability to get the conversion in these situations. Will he decide to do it again this year? I don't know the answer to that one either.

2.) Yes, Melrose lost most of their starting DL and OL from last years team. However, those two elements of this years team are exceptionally good. They reloaded and are as good, if not better then last years lines. Three words. Size, Speed, and Tenacity.

Your observation about the Melrose fans is correct. I have been following Melrose football since the 96 campaign, when they won the state tittle in 3A in 96. The Melrose Alumn as well as people like myself, follow this schools football team. I have a coworker who is a Melrose alum and we went up to Jackson this past Friday and he commented to me ... "I knew there would be some fans, but my goodness, I didn't dream it would be this many!" I just smiled when he said that because I knew that Orange Mound would make it's presence known. I know that JCM had heard about the fan following, but it didn't believe until they saw the masses. Melrose may have to travel, but they NEVER play an AWAY GAME. by this I mean, They will bring more then the home crowd in most cases, and it will be the same in this case as well. Expect the visiting stands to be FULL to capacity, and overflow milling around on the edges of the stands. Melrose will fill the stands with people as if they were playing in Melrose stadium. A sea of maroon and gold chanting "Meeeeeelllllllllllllllllrrrrrrrrrrroooooooooooosssssssssseeeeee" sounding like the FSU war chant. I think the fans consider Melrose a baby FSU, lol! Colors and all!

I won't be at the game this Friday ... but if they win, you better belive I will be at the championship game along with my co-worker. I didn't attend any of the three championship games they played in when they were in 3A, and I regret it now.

Melrose will bring at least 2,000 to the tittle game if they win, if not more. I'll estimate that they will bring at least 800-1000, if not more, to Hillsboro. The team has a great following, to say the least.