TSSAA

pujo

In Collinwood's defense their one non-region game last year I think was Loretto - a 2A team. Plus region 6 is the toughest 1A region in the state outside of Nashville's region 5. The reason region 6 gets little respect on a statewide basis is that the region 5 privates knock them out pretty quick. Region 6 has consistantly had 5th, 6th, and 7th place teams that can and have beaten schools in other regions that qaulify for the playoffs. So please don't call Collinwood's schedule weak. It is simply not the case.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This has been going on for years and will never be settled for everyones liking. I am from a real small school in West TN. I play the private schools every year and have good friends that coach those teams, yet when I have and yes I said" have" to take the kids that are zoned for my school and only those kids I can not compete with the schools that are bringing in kids from a 150 mile circle. Maybe going to 5 classes would help in all sports. Maybe not. I think the majority of the coaches in A ball around here want a change. (public that is). If the big AAA schools want to know how it feels to be in our shoes jump up and play the Brentwood Acds, BGAs, CBHS. Its not that we don't want to play better teams just want a fair playing field. Getting a kid from 60 miles away is a form of recruiting whether money is involved or not. Let a public school get a kid from across the line and red flags are waved from the get go.

Who in Westtn has a kid that lives 60 miles away?

Hey we face similar problems at JCM. We have our own school zone. Yet Liberty can get kids from anywhere in Madison County. In fact they just got several very good baseball players that should be zoned for JCM. To date JCM does not have 1 freshman out for the baseball team. If you have a complaint about private schools then how come you don`t mention public schools that can get kids from all over?

Here's an example of "recruiting" in 1A basketball in West TN: A certain private 1A basketball coach in Jackson has an AAU program for boys. He focuses his efforts on middle school aged AAU participants and invites good basketball players from all surrounding counities to participate on his teams. You cannot honestly tell me he is doing this because he loves basketball and helping out kids. That might be true to a certain extent but don't be so naive to think that he does not tell these kids "Hey, Johnny, you ought to enroll in our school. We have great facilities, great teachers, and you can get a Christian-based education". What parent with the resources would not like to have their child "recruited" like this? It is very flattering to them. But, it is destroying amatuer athletics. We are treating these kids like they are Blue-Chip All-Americans when they are no where close. This is an absolute joke. No public school coach would be allowed to get away with such a scenario. And honeslty, most public school coaches would not want too.

Edited by WashedUp

"Judges...can we accept that answer......Ohhh, I'm sooo sorry Bill73. but that's not an answer that added anything to the board...We have some lovely parting gifts for you on your way back to the middle school playground..."

Guys, TSSAA voted for the logical decision.  I know some of you guys from smaller schools want a title so badly that you are willing to do anything for it...but would you sacrifice competition to win a title?  Would you be willing to remove all the good teams that are out there so that you win a "championship?"  By your posts on here, it looks as if that is exactly what you are doing...you want the road to Murfreesboro paved with patsies, not good competitive teams.  Right now the road is a tough one to travel, and all these streetlights emitting green light of envy don't help things much...Play teams and play them the best you can...if you lose, then you know you gave your all- and that, my friends, is what sports and more importantly competing are all about.

So why are the privates complaning, move up and give your kids this valuble lesson, I feel the privates are the ones who are afraid of having to face equal competition. Why do you think they are the ones dominating this whole debate. They don't want to face comparable compitition. Is it not so funny how they are so concerned about the small publics learning a valuble lesson.

I agree with at least a part of your post...I have never liked classifications at all...we should only have THREE in Tennessee anyway...A, AA, AAA...I think you were successful in one area- perverting my logic.

Look people, the whole reason we are in this mess is same reason that American society is in shambles...everyone want a totally equal playing field...TOTALLY equal, and everyone wants laws, legislation, etc. to take away advantages that other people have sacrificed and worked hard for...

Then maybe your coaches should quite scheduling the easiest teams around and start playing some tougher teams. Boyd has lost 9 or 10 games in the last 3 years because they play tougher teams outside of their region games. If your team only lost 5 games in 4 years, they were intentionally playing patsies. Maybe if you would play some of those private schools during the regular season, you would be better prepared in the playoffs.

There are 10 teams in their region. They must play the other nine. Their 10th game is against a 2A team, Loretto, which is a rivalry.

if there was such a person/family that is so warped that they base educational decisions strictly on high school football (as laughable as that sounds, given that it leads to something more for about 1 and 50,000 players), why would they NOT go to Oakland or Riverdale?  They have some of the best coaching in the state (in Riverdale's case, maybe the best coach in the state).  They churn out D-1 prospects and NFL players, and always compete for championships. That argument makes no sense.  What competitive advantage would a private HS in Rutheford County have (in sports)?

What is it about my posts that get you MBA boys so fired up? To answer your questions / respond to your response...Why would someone who is attending MBA not attend Hillsboro? Who is saying that this phantom school would be known primarily as a football factory and not cherish and promote a higher standard of learning? Seems to me that there's already two too many privates in the Nashville Metro area who have that "football factory" label sewn up. All I was saying was that if the best players from Smyrna, Laverne, Oakland, Riverdale, Blackman, and Siegel were to decide to attend Rutherford Acadamy (has a nice ring, doesn't it?), a medium sized private school with an enrollment of around 450 young men and women, they would be a formiddable force in all athletic arenas. Even more so than the Rutherford county teams already are. Plus, they would be competing with, and most likely, beating the likes of MBA and BA. That's the competitive advantage. But you already knew that. You just didn't know you knew it until just now. A D-1 prospect is going to be found whether he or she is playing on an undefeated juggernaut or a dismal winless team.

Oh, I'm sure no one has ever chosen one private over another based solely on the strength of their football team. Forgive me for ever levying such an accusation.:lol::lol::lol:

Robjim, I know you'll read this, so I'll respond to your question. The logistics of Wayne county would make it very very difficult to have only one high school. Wayne county is surpassed only by Shelby county in square mileage, and they aren't known for having the greatest secondary roads (read as miles and miles of curvy, hilly, narrow, and rarely maintained). The only logical answer would be to start school at 9 A.M., have pick-up points at the ends of the lesser roads to keep the bus drivers from having to drive 6 miles just to pick up 3 students, and tack on an extra month to the school year. Same goes for Lawrence county except LC has better roads with fewer hills.