Vote

nolesfan

Keep this in mind while debating. The October vote was 62% to 38% in favor of making a change in the current system. In a Presidential election this margin would be considered a landslide.

The TSSAA consistently argues that it is only representative of its members. That it simply follows the wishes of the member schools. It will be interesting to see if the multiplier plan is voted down and the TSSAA chooses to keep the status quo.

In this scenario, the wishes of 62% will be ignored. In which case, the TSSAA will need a new explanation for not following the wishes of the majority.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep this in mind while debating. The October vote was 62% to 38% in favor of making a change in the current system. In a Presidential election this margin would be considered a landslide.

The TSSAA consistently argues that it is only representative of its members. That it simply follows the wishes of the member schools. It will be interesting to see if the multiplier plan is voted down and the TSSAA chooses to keep the status quo.

In this scenario, the wishes of 62% will be ignored. In which case, the TSSAA will need a new explanation for not following the wishes of the majority.

You are so very right! This thing is a scam!

Maybe the coaches of public schools in TN should work harder and get their kids in the weight room and a speed program. I do not have a problem playing the private schools. As a player at Dickson County, I was on a team that beat MBA twice and Brentwood Academy once. As a coach, I have been a part of a team at Clarksville Northeast that beat a very good MBA team and lost to a very good Brentwood Academy team in the quarters 7-3. The only advantage that I see a private school may have over public schools is that they do not have to worry about trying to fill a teaching position with a coach like public schools do. Public schools have a hard time filling coaching slots if teaching positions are not available. A lot of public schools have better facilities than private schools. In division I, there are only a handful of private schools that are good year in and year out (DCA, CPA, Boyd-Buchanon, USJ). There might be a couple of more. Ezell had been down for a long time, and I do not see them staying the way they are now in the future. USJ did not dominate everyone this year, etc. I saw a DCA team a couple of years ago get blasted by Collinwood. There are many more examples I can give, but may hands are tired now. We as coaches just need to rededicate ourselves and committ to trying to improve our own programs.

Maybe the coaches of public schools in TN should work harder and get their kids in the weight room and a speed program. I do not have a problem playing the private schools. As a player at Dickson County, I was on a team that beat MBA twice and Brentwood Academy once. As a coach, I have been a part of a team at Clarksville Northeast that beat a very good MBA team and lost to a very good Brentwood Academy team in the quarters 7-3. The only advantage that I see a private school may have over public schools is that they do not have to worry about trying to fill a teaching position with a coach like public schools do. Public schools have a hard time filling coaching slots if teaching positions are not available. A lot of public schools have better facilities than private schools. In division I, there are only a handful of private schools that are good year in and year out (DCA, CPA, Boyd-Buchanon, USJ). There might be a couple of more. Ezell had been down for a long time, and I do not see them staying the way they are now in the future. USJ did not dominate everyone this year, etc. I saw a DCA team a couple of years ago get blasted by Collinwood. There are many more examples I can give, but may hands are tired now. We as coaches just need to rededicate ourselves and committ to trying to improve our own programs.

That makes too much sense to ever work in TN. :D

Bird is the Word!!! :D

OK...public school coaches will rededicate if CPA, USJ, DCA, and BB will rededicate and move up to 5a. They should be able to get better and compete at that level.

As a coach, I have been a part of a team at Clarksville Northeast that beat a very good MBA team

"Beat?" you are very generous, as there are a lot more colorful words to describe what NE did to MBA. That NE team did a number on MBA that night. I was there. It was Labor Day weekend and if I'm not mistaken, Travis Stephens ran for more than 300 yards. And that was a very good MBA team.

NE was robbed in that game vs. BA. Even as a homer, I'll admit that BA and NE were the two best teams in the state that year...

Edited by MBAalumnus

"Beat?" you are very generous, as there are a lot more colorful words to describe what NE did to MBA. That NE team did a number on MBA that night. I was there. It was Labor Day weekend and if I'm not mistaken, Travis Stephens ran for more than 300 yards. And that was a very good MBA team.

NE was robbed in that game vs. BA. Even as a homer, I'll admit that BA and NE were the two best teams in the state that year...

Dang...how did MBA and BA both miss Travis Stephens? hehehe :D

Keep this in mind while debating.  The October vote was 62% to 38% in favor of making a change in the current system.  In a Presidential election this margin would be considered a landslide.

The TSSAA consistently argues that it is only representative of its members.  That it simply follows the wishes of the member schools.  It will be interesting to see if the multiplier plan is voted down and the TSSAA chooses to keep the status quo.

In this scenario, the wishes of 62% will be ignored.  In which case, the TSSAA will need a new explanation for not following the wishes of the majority.

You are so very right! This thing is a scam!

Who is to say that there won't be a change in the system? I expect a multiplier will be put in place by the board of control.

While it was 62% who favored a "change", 48% wanted a split, 42% wanted a multiplier and 10% wanted some other option. When you consider that most (if not all) of the D2 schools voted for a split, was there really an overwhelming mandate for a total split? I wish I knew what the other 10% wanted, but they didn't seem to want a split.

This can (and probably will) be discussed on this board until the cows come home, but it is now up to the Board to decide what action to actually take. I can appreciate the plight of the rural 1A schools. I think there will be some sort of change.

Someone has already mentioned the 2 West Tennessee members. Dan and Phil are both good men. They seem to have gone to a great deal of effort to gather information from the schools in their area and their votes reflected that total vision.