did the 2a title change any minds?

blueandgoldfan

So the envy-mongers are still going at it? Baldcoach, congratulations on a well-played championship. Again, why is this a Tennessee thing? Show me any state where there is the attitude that privates have such an overwhelming advantage that they shouldn't play public schools? Why should Tennessee have this unique distinction of seperating publics and privates solely on the basis on a perceived compet advantage. I still see this as a poor old-country boy envying the rich kid in the big city. Of course, in this case, there are more poor old-country boys than rich city kids.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the envy-mongers are still going at it? Baldcoach, congratulations on a well-played championship. Again, why is this a Tennessee thing? Show me any state where there is the attitude that privates have such an overwhelming advantage that they shouldn't play public schools? Why should Tennessee have this unique distinction of seperating publics and privates solely on the basis on a perceived compet advantage. I still see this as a poor old-country boy envying the rich kid in the big city. Of course, in this case, there are more poor old-country boys than rich city kids.

There are several states with split systems.

Sequatchie,

I played for Knox Fulton in the late 80s thru early 90s and every summer we would scrimmage Sequatchie, either at our place, at yours or at camp at Chatt Baylor.  Our head coach, Steve Brewer, I think played ball with the head coach from Sequatchie at Austin Peay, and thus the relationship.  Is he still with you guys?  If not, who is handling the head coaching duties?

Sid Fritts was the coach from 88-93. He did an outstanding job, 54-17 if I remember right with 4 quarterfinal finishes. He did have a lot of good talent with a few signing with colleges, some not signing to concentrate on academics in college (with a doctor and other professionals in that group) and some not signing because of bad grades only. He went to Spring Hill for one season, and Warren County for two, 0-10 his first year but 4-6 his second and I thought he was going to turn things around. Then he left for Grundy for one season, was 2-8 or 3-7, something similar to that, still don't understand that. Then he went to Vidalia Georgia as an assistant for a couple of seasons before becoming the head coach. His team went at least to the 2A semifinals being played tonight. He had one of the best players in the country on his team this year, a big defensive lineman that people who saw Vidalia and Tyner say is better than Demonte Bouldin or Greg Smith. John Mackersie is the coach now, I think he is doing a good job with the talent he has and a young coaching staff. No college signees since he has been here but that should change this year. His teams have made the playoffs 3 of 5 years. He had to clean house of some bad apples when he got here and has had to some since but in the long run the program was better for it.

Edited by Indian

How on God's earth did a little old 1A public with an enrollment of 194 beat all those advantaged privates. Hard work and coaching I expect. Probably had a once in a lifetime flame thrower that helped a little.

Privates have won the last 5 years. With the present system (even though there are only 15 privates of about 50 schools in 1a) there is no chance publics will win 5 in a row. I am sure you agree.

From this football fans perspective I would rather see this state imitate FL or GA, than the states who have the split. Yes, I know TX is split, but how many TX privates are football powerhouses compared to their public schools which are known powerhouses. I have lived in FL and GA and I have seen privates and publics compete on a pretty even basis. Again, I think TN is unique in that we have VERY small public high schools that most of our neighbors don't have anymore. The problem is not privates here. I say let's see up a 1a class of small public high schools and throw the rest into the mix and divide them evenly. This throws the privates into classes with larger schools and evens out the competition some.

How on God's earth did a little old 1A public with an enrollment of 194 beat all those advantaged privates.  Hard work and coaching I expect.  Probably had a once in a lifetime flame thrower that helped a little.

His name was Ricky Sexton, pitched 11 innings with a slight tornadon delay. He never quit. State Championship tophies look good in the case. Problem is in the late 80's through the 1990/s Coalfield was at the state at least four times winning only one. Guess who beat'em out in the double elimination tournaments? Privates.

Football is the same except for a couple of big wins over Webb of Knoxville and Franklin Road Academy in the late 80'/early 90's. Again, who were the final four in 1a football? Privates.

Edited by CYJacket