Passing Attack

jcm

The one common problem I noticed on the great teams that lost in the championship games or semi finals was that they were unable to sustain a passing game. Several great teams that have a super offense seem to depend on the ground game and when the run into a great defence like Hillsboro or HUNTINGDON they are unable to counter with the passing game. Their ground game is so good in the regular reason against weaker opponents they don't practice passing in game situations to any great extent so it never gets properly developed for the aggressive deffensive fronts they meet in the playoffs. I suspect the train of thought by many coaches is "why pass if I can run" in the regular season - being the conservative bunch they are - and not wanting to appear to run up the score on teams in the regular season.

Passing games take lots of time to develop and more than a good athelete at the QB position. My thought for next years team development would be to try as much as possible to have a balanced offense. It may make the difference in the long run.

Am I way off?

Edited by jcm

I think your right on the money jcm. I do believe a lot of coaches are starting to come around to the ideal though. I've seen a little more passing this year than in the past. At Dobyns-Bennett this year we had a good balanced offense. Our junior QB thru for 2,227 yrds. & 21 td's. using 7 different receivers. Turnovers prevented us from moving past the quarterfinals.

The one thing I noticed was other teams pass defense had a hard time defending the pass. It seems a lot of coaches use offensive starters at the defensive back position. By mid- 3rd. qtr. these guys have run themselves to death covering pass routs.

#1. i agree. fulton met way too many one dimensional teams throughout the season. and they werent gonna get much on our defense

#2. fulton isnt one dimensional at all, justin long hit 2000 yards passing and had plenty of td passes. plus he could do it with his feet as well. and we still had a great running game.

good point though

The one common problem I noticed on the great teams that lost in the championship games or semi finals was that they were unable to sustain a passing game. Several great teams that have a super offense seem to depend on the ground game and when the run into a great defence like Hillsboro or HUNTINGDON they are unable to counter with the passing game. Their ground game is so good in the regular reason against weaker opponents they don't practice passing in game situations to any great extent so it never gets properly developed for the aggressive deffensive fronts they meet in the playoffs. I suspect the train of thought by many coaches is "why pass if I can run" in the regular season - being the conservative bunch they are - and not wanting to appear to run up the score on teams in the regular season.

Passing games take lots of time to develop and more than a good athelete at the QB position.  My thought for next years team development would be to try as much as possible to have a balanced offense. It may make the difference in the long run.

Am I way off?

If you are one-dimensional...you had better be very good at it. Hillsboro and Germantown were both one-dimensional and they still won.

Huntingdon didn't throw much either.

Edited by Antwan

I agree with the idea that if you run into a team that you can't run on you need to be able to pass. With that said, sometimes you just can't do either against a very good defense. Huntingdon's defense picked off 6 passes while Lipscomb only completed 7.

Huntingdon's offense is not one dimensional if the need arises, but if you can run the ball at will why pass? Huntingdon attempted 2 passes in the championship game and completed one of those.

If you're going to win in high school football you've got to be able to run, while passing when you want to, not when the other team expects it. This isn't the pro's and its got to be hard to be good at both running and passing, thus you run. Most teams wr's aren't really that great, especially at the 1 and 2A levels so your best bet is run, run, run. I heard a great quote about Huntingdon just yesterday whilst drinking coffee at the local cafe. "Huntingdon runs to set up the run." I love that.

If you are going to throw the ball, you must protect the QB. Most offensive lineman in high school struggle with the footwork necessary to pick up speed rushers and blitzes. This is why most teams run the ball. Plus, if you have to play in inclement weather, the officials do not do a very good job of keeping a dry ball in the game.