Scooter Houston

fhsd

Good response BEAR. He might make a great kicker. I just know that there are a lot of young men who have had that same response at other tournaments when they lost a match to a bad call. Scooter just did it at the state tournament, so does that make him worse than the others - NO. All I'm saying is that I've watched him come up through the ranks and he is a good athlete regardless if he was on the mat or not.

To the best of my memory UTC has a coach (Brands) that was very intense when he wrestled. Did any of you ever seem him after a loss, not a pretty sight. It could be that Gable had enough sense to get him out of the publics view where only a select few would view the incident. If the kid decides to wrestle again this year, we should all give him another opportunity to compete without us acting like fools.

Tex,

The official called him for a slam. At the state tournament in Tennessee some of the officials felt that it was a slam and some felt that the move was ok. If it had been the NCAA tournament there is no question that it would not have been called a slam. The bottom line is the official made what he felt was the correct call and the wrestler acted like a fool and instead of taking control of the situation the wrestlers coach did nothing. In this instance the coach was as much to blame as the wrestler because he failed to control his student/athlete. If you wish to not wrestle against Scooter or have your son wrestle against him that is fine but you yourself need to act like an adult and allow last season to stay last season. This is now the 2003-04 season.

I see now that you are very emotional on this. Sorry to work you up to a lather, but it was just my opinion ,like yours about refs in the NCAA. You can't know what the call would be. Just like people can not know how this particular wrestler will act again. But like history, you look back at the track record and make your bets.

No matter what you say here Scooter is a good Kid!!

MAde some bad choices and mistakes in his life and WHO HAS NOT!!!!!!!

The kid is a good wrestler and an outstanding football player. He now is looking forward to bigger and better things.

Some people just need to shut up and get on with this season and worry who will beat who!!!

End of story and I'm sticking to it......

Coach,

I don't think that incident had any effect on Jeff Co. attending the Bradley Tournament this year. From what I hear Jeff Co. numbers are way down from years past. I don't think Jeff Co. will be traveling alot this season due to the low numbers. Although it is a thought provoking question, but I think the coach could look past the incident from last season. I did see the end of the whole thing I think I was in the hospitality room at the time. The call was made and there is nothing anyone can do about it now or then. We have to trust the officals to make the correct call at the time. We can always second guess the refs, but where would that get us?

Coach Delgado,

Coach Turley contacted me at the beginning of this school year regarding Scooter and the State Tournament incident. I assured him that I still consider him and his program to be friends of Bradley wrestling. This incident, while unfortunate, doesn't overshadow the many years of good relationships between our programs.

As for our tournament, I told Coach Turley that he and his team were welcome to come back either with or without Scooter. That's between their program and the TSSAA. He elected to not return this year and maybe let things "cool off" for a while longer. While I respect his decision, he and his team have an open invitation to return to the Bradley Invitational as soon as they'd like.

Coach Logsdon, BCHS

That is good to hear. They have had strong programs in the past and I look forward to them rebounding. I'm glad to hear that although such isolated incidents aren't in the spirit of our great sport, the adults in the organization can keep things in perspective and look past them. Coach, I have enjoyed your tournament the last two years. Here's looking to the rest of the season and next year's event.

Edited by CoachDelgado

• 8 years later...

Tex,

The official called him for a slam. At the state tournament in Tennessee some of the officials felt that it was a slam and some felt that the move was ok. If it had been the NCAA tournament there is no question that it would not have been called a slam. The bottom line is the official made what he felt was the correct call and the wrestler acted like a fool and instead of taking control of the situation the wrestlers coach did nothing. In this instance the coach was as much to blame as the wrestler because he failed to control his student/athlete. If you wish to not wrestle against Scooter or have your son wrestle against him that is fine but you yourself need to act like an adult and allow last season to stay last season. This is now the 2003-04 season.

this slamming debate is not a first. Anyone remember this controversy 10 years ago? I was at mat side by the click and felt a past history had to come into play when a top notch NCAA official made the call...