Dead-o-Winter 2004 Region 4-5A Picks

TDCman

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest region4fan

Lavergne, at one time, split Smyrna Middle School with Smyrna High as their feeder school. Before that they had Roy Waldron before it dropped football. Their enrollment , along with Smyrna High , will be over 2000 this fall. It will be interesting to see what they can do with the biggest enrollments in our county and in Region 4.

Is anyone in Region 4 doing spring practice right now?

Edited by region4fan

Sounds like everyone is doing spring practice late. Riverdale begins on 4/26.

Lebanon won the power lifting meet at Riverdale this last Saturday. They were very strong in the upper weight classes and had a lot of players place. They must be having a pretty good off-season and they look like they will be a big, strong team.

This may be a good omen for Oakland. The last time Riverdale failed to win their weight meet (1998) Oakland won the state championship.

Keep us posted on any news you hear....

Guest region4fan

So Lebanon rolled in to Warrior Country?? I hope that Gary had full security in force via cameras and security cops......cause we all know how much Lebanon loves Rutherford County Schools and respects all of their facilites, don't we?? Wonder if any of them were wearing any of Blackman or Lavergnes's stolen clothes. I have no respect whatsoever for that school after their stunts in the fall , or their coaches. all of them should have lost their jobs over the lack of supervision.

Is Lebanon strong or is Riverdale not as strong as they usually are?? seems like Lebanon took 2nd place last year at Riverdale, but it didn;t seem to help them too much. Don't count on Oakland making any serious noise this year. I will be happy if we win at least 4 games. With Lincoln County, Franklin, and Brentwood Academy on the schedule.........well I shudder to think!

Smyrna has finally updated their weight lift board as well as their personal best all time records.I checked their posted results against Riverdales web site and I was suprised how well Smyrna stacks up against Riverdale it was pretty much a toss up overall with both teams having a few of those small freak like players tha lift like twice their weiight!

I can tell you that some of the lineman at Smyrna have matured very well and we have some good size and height combined.

Thera also is a rumor that maybe that 2000 attendance limit may have played its first dividend with a QB transferring in this summer from out of state.

ITS STILL ALL RIVERDALES TO LOSE THEY REMAIN THE 100% LOCK NOT TO BE EVEN PLAYED CLOSE IN A GAME ALL YEAR THEY ARE LOADED AND THE EXPECTATION IS OFF THE CHARTS!

Guest region4fan

Where is your new QB transferring from, Cat? What year is he? Will he have a shot at that starting spot? Who was the QB of your frosh team? They were pretty good!

QB is the one place that we are set at Oakland. Most of the others are up for grabs, with a lot of sophs vying for the starting spots. Not by choice HAHA!

I,ve heard from Kentucky where he started at a school last year. I have no idea what size school or where yet. He has been to some football camps in the Tennessee area from what I have heard he is supposed to be pretty good.

Once again all this is just what I have heard once he arrives and puts on the pads is when it will be official for me!

I am pretty excited about Orona running the veer regardless his ellusiveness combined with Marsalous speed would put some pressure on the defenses we will face this year.

Just to comment on the weight competition we all know strenght is so important in football as well as size and speed but overall strength does not equal a good football player we can all name many who were very strong but did not have the football skill,knowledge or desire to put it to use. Being strong is only part of being a good player important but not the defining characteristic of a football player.

It is absolutely amazing how strong these young men are it is definetly a mans game.

Ready for spring to see how our young freshman react to playing with the big boys.

Many times this is the first time they are on equal terms and not the biggest or the fastest on the field every time. Some thrive on the competition others wilt!

Guest Oakland

well we already have the 1st casualty of the lebron ferguson era..... deadrick morris. although deadrick was thrown off before euverard resigned, he will not be comin back, which will hurt oakland at DE and TE. but after talkin with my sources and few current and former players, i think euverard leaving is gonna be a blessing in disguise, i think ferguson is gonna spark this team and while they may not be great, i think this can definatly be a playoff bound team. i think with ferguson you will see more of a pro type of offense as far as balance goes. ferguson will use his best players to the fullest(literally). theres some talk that luter will play some te when oakland is in one back set or in a spread(i pray). i am ready for spring to start, this patriot team has a bright present and future ahead of it!!!!!!! GO PATS!!!!!!!!

Guest region4fan

Morris quit last year too, but was lured back. So it is in his nature to quit , I think. He is good, but not with an attitude! I really think that Ferg will hang in there and do a great job at Oakland. Everyone has to be patient and realize that you have to season those young kids. It is rare for a team laden with Soph can make some noise. I am worried about leadership with so few seniors. I know that my boy , Luter will do his part and more....but who else?? I am anxious to see what changes may be made. Ferg is enthusiastic and will infuse that to the boys. I heard there was a freshman who has the ability to be a MAN-CHILD. I hear he is tearing it up in the weight room. I think he is a TB?? I also heard that big Lucas was stepping it up!

Any changes at any of the other schools coaching wise???? TDC, has Riverdale lost anyone this year? How is Biscuit in GA??

Hopefully, Oakland can keep their returnees intact and give Coach Ferguson a good nucleous to build around.

From what I can tell, Riverdale has one returning starter that may be missing. Haven't seen his name in any of the off-season workouts or weight tests. I won't jump to conclusions since he may just be participating in other spring sports. There was also another player that I hoped to see working out that missed all of last year but haven't seen anything on him either.

On the plus side, there seem to be some good looking up-coming sophomores and it looks like a couple other players are making some big gains. I feel very good that some of these guys will fill the 2 holes on the OL. I'm still trying to figure out who is going to repalce Gadie and Mcdaniel in the LB positions. Looks like there may be a couple new faces so we'll have to wait for spring to see if they will contribute.

One of last years early season DL starters that missed most of the year with an injury has been very impressive in off-season workouts. That is good news since the potential MIA is a DL as well.

We will know more after spring but it looks like Riverdale will be a lot like last year: a little undersized but with lots of skill people, lots of depth in most spots, very fast, and pretty strong.

Biggest questions going into spring: Finding DL depth, finding some linebackers, and finding places for some of the talented younger players.

Keep us posted.....where are all the Siegel, Blackman, Lebanon, Lavergne and WC folks? We want to hear from those guys too....

Guest region4fan

Well the Blackman folk online are mostly kids so they are probably broke. (I wish Slim would get on as he promised us the scoop about Alsup after the season was over.) Lavergne folk are VERY few in number so that explains it. The Siegel folk are still embarrassed about last season to get on. And the Lebanon people couldn't STEAL a Plus Membership so..................now you know!

Any new coaches your way, TDC??