True State Champion Tournament

coachmasters

Johnny,

I admire the idea and fully understand why everyone would want to see something of this magnitude, but there are some things to consider.

1. To address the hopes of starting the finals @2:00 and having a Dual @ 4:00.

DI Wrestlers would have just completed 3 days of competition along with the DII Wrestlers competing for 2. From a physical and emotional perspective it is not practicle and we all know it is not going to happen.

2. Coaches and Athletes are working to PEAK at the right time just for this tournament and to go again the next weekend is going to be tough. Remember how exhausting this tournament really is and how it takes days to just recover and heal up. The Wrestlers will be battered and physically exhausted after this tournament and to try and prepare for even a more intense situation the following weekend is asking a little much. Imagine an NCAA DI Champion having to prepare the very next week for a tournament w/ the other Divisional Champions. Do you honestly think they would be ready for that? I feel for this event to even have a chance, it would need to be held at a later date.

3. I am all for ONE Tournament, but it's not going to happen! This is a "Dead Dog" topic going no where.

4. This is a great idea, I just don't know where it can fit in.

You really are impressive! I love the way you are constantly working to develope our sport. Not by draining it, but always trying to find a way to give something back. Good for You!

Steve Henry

Who's Johnny?

Soms

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is not an attempt to knock DII wrestling (so no personal attacks please), but one other thing to consider is the overall, top to bottom difficulty of the road to the championship. DI wrestlers compete in regionals the week before. That's usually four or more matches for most to qualify for the state. Once at the state, it is five rounds to win the tournament against tournament proven competition. Last year in DI, three high profile, state ranked region champs lost to 4th place wrestlers on Thursday. The prelim rounds at DII could possibly be against a wrestler that hasn't won a match all year other than his wrestle off. DI wrestlers have to make weight 3 days while DII only twice at the state tourney.

There is no doubt in my mind that such an event would be a fun one to watch whether immediately after the finals or the next week. Heck, TSSAA could empty the arena and charge admission again. What a money maker. It could ultimately answer questions of which division's champions are better. Long term we would likely find out that it fluctuates from year to year.

Edited by CoachDelgado

Another question to ask is this...

The top 4 in Division II, would all of them have made it through the 32 man bracket of Division I? Or would some of the top 4 in Division I made it through the Division II Bracket? There could be 5-6 really good guys stacked in one division and only 4 would get to represent that Division.... When in reality, maybe all 5-6 could have made it through the other....

Johnny,

This is a great idea though...hope it comes together for you, the state and most of all wrestling.

Gonyea

Great idea. I just don't think it will fly. I am a wrestling purist through and through. I am not crazy about split divisions, but I have learned to live with them. My question is why do we feel we have to figure out who the true champion is? Why can't division champions be left in peace without having to justify their championship to everyone else? In Basketball, Football, Baseball, Soccer, Volleyball, Softball, Tennis. etc. they don't match up champions and have no desire to. In Golf, Cross Country and Track and Field I guess there are some who compare scores and times. So what.

Coach Delgado,

I am not trying to call you out, but just your last two post on here seem to conflict each other. In the first, (which I carried forward in the quote) you seem to say so what about the potential tournament and the questions it might answer of who is the best.

Then in you most recent post you seem to turn around on your comments and say the tourney should go ahead and answer the questions.

Am I confused and reading you incorrectly?

It appears to me that CoachDelgado is looking at the situation from two vantage points. His practical view is based on an upclose dedication to and involvement in the sport. What may seem to be an opposing view is just a sentiment expressing his personal ideal. He seems to have a good grasp of the big picture.

Silverpie,

The problem is that the individuals allowed to compete have to place in the top 4 of d1 or d2. The only way for this to work and be ok with the TSSAA is for all wrestlers, regardless of ability to be allowed to enter. Now you could have a tournament and take the top 4 SENIORS in d1 or d2 and you would be ok. The current proposal would make the underclassmen ineligible for the 2004-05 season.

I don't agree with your reading of the handbook. The all-star game rule specifically describes all-star games as having "one or both teams" chosen from multiple teams. No teams, no all-star game.

It appears to me that CoachDelgado is looking at the situation from two vantage points. His practical view is based on an upclose dedication to and involvement in the sport. What may seem to be an opposing view is just a sentiment expressing his personal ideal. He seems to have a good grasp of the big picture.

delaWarr,

thanks for your post and decipher of his thoughts, but I was interested in his explanation of what he meant.

I am not calling him out, but it still seems like two different things to me. Your explanation seems like you would have to talk to him to get the "seems like an opposing view" but is really only expressing a personal ideal. Dr. Phil can come up with that kind of analysis, but not on here.