Kentucky's Proposition 13

TheBigRedDog

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the proposal is a different animal than here. They are proposing exclusion of students that receive financial aid from playing sports in the khsaa. Schools that award such aid would not be eligible to compete for state titles. I may be off base...but that is what I get out of it.

I could be completely wrong...but one of my old girl friends is from South Point Ohio (Was up for Ms. Ohio actually after winning homecoming queen :justwrestle: )

anyway, I believe she had to baby sit A.J. Mayo who is a superb basketball player and plays for a private school in KY. There is of course one state championship for basketball in KY and his school (which gave him financial aide and has very few students) beat some very large public schools and won the state championship (if they didn't win, they got darn close).

Last year, ESPN did "The Season" on Bluegrass Basketball and I believe the state champions were from his team. I don't know the recruiting rules in KY, but I have seen that Mayo kid play in AAU 13 and Under Nationals (always held in Memphis) and he is phenomenal. He was held back a grade and so he played the 13 and Under twice and the second time they won the national title (I guess that was two summers ago which puts him as a 16 year old sophomore).

I could be completely wrong...but one of my old girl friends is from South Point Ohio (Was up for Ms. Ohio actually after winning homecoming queen :justwrestle: )

anyway, I believe she had to baby sit A.J. Mayo who is a superb basketball player and plays for a private school in KY. There is of course one state championship for basketball in KY and his school (which gave him financial aide and has very few students) beat some very large public schools and won the state championship (if they didn't win, they got darn close).

Last year, ESPN did "The Season" on Bluegrass Basketball and I believe the state champions were from his team. I don't know the recruiting rules in KY, but I have seen that Mayo kid play in AAU 13 and Under Nationals (always held in Memphis) and he is phenomenal. He was held back a grade and so he played the 13 and Under twice and the second time they won the national title (I guess that was two summers ago which puts him as a 16 year old sophomore).

"but I have seen that Mayo kid play in AAU 13 and Under Nationals (always held in Memphis) and he is phenomenal. "

I didn't think you could tell how good an athlete is when he is only 13?

Does this bring back memories of previous threads and posts about recruiting?

Kentucky actually has a small class state tournament held in the middle of the season for small schools. The small schools can play in both tournaments.

That point has been brought up.

Most supporters of this think it's not discriminatory, and will hold up in court.

Some think this will not pass, but is the springboard of future proposals.

Some think that a Public/Private split is needed, and that Privates will have their own championships, classes, etc. Interesting thought, as there are only about 13 schools that will be affected, and most fall in the current 1a-3a classes. Only 2 schools would even qualify for the 4a class. In basketball, the state doesn't currently even have a class system, so Lord knows what that entails. Some private schools in KY do not even field football teams.

KY's Prop 13 would allow the private schools who offer financial aid to compete until playoffs, and not compete for championships.

If the private schools want to compete for championships, they have to stop offering financial aid.

rockmom,

How would this proposal affect parochial schools like Trinity, St. X etc.?