The Mav

baseline2baseline

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Baseline,

Powell are so deep. The freshman Hollifield has helped this team so much, she is so fundamentally sound. I think she was such an impact early on that Ogan took her game to another level just to regain the mantle of top dog, and now she is playing unbelievable basketball. To see an over 6 foot girl run the floor, handle the ball and shoot from the outside the way she can is really impressive. Williams, who just signed with Cumerland, is so strong underneath, she is the most physical player I've seen all year (outside of Tevah Morris). Their guard play is exceptional with Micheal, Cox and Haas the can go three deep and play with anybody. I know I'm leaving somebody out but, yeah they are tough. They played down against us and still won by 45. The only question I have about this team is the dreaded "never been there before" beast, and they will have to overcome that when the time comes. With the talent they have, I think they will.

I'll keep my eye on your teams there in East TN., arnwine, as tournament time grows nearer. I am well as long as Page keeps winning, otherwise, I can get in a foul mood. I hate losing and it really raises my blood pressure to lose a close game - just ask the parents who sit next to me. Coaching is a tough job that a lot of fans critisize constantly. Making the right substitution at the right time is hard. Sometimes a player off the bench is a hero - sometimes not. Resting a starter can be good, or sometimes they lose their momentum or rhythm when returning to the game. Sometimes, trying to satisfy parents by playing their sons or daughters can be detrimental to overall team play. It's a hard decision for coaches - I'm glad I don't have to do it and applaud those of you who do it.

Thanks for the honest reply guys. I hope Powell can do well this year in the tournaments. I was at the game last night vs, Tenn High. It was avery physical game, and in the 1st half Powell didn't match that but after halftime they proceeded to play very physical which is good heading into their schedule next week. Hollifield is the missing piece to that team, she just plays at a different level.

Powell is a fundamentally sound team that is very adept at executing their half court offense or playing the transistion game. They have some of the stronger players in East TN and have proven they are one of the teams to beat this year. I do think they could sub a little more when they have a 40 point lead. It's none of my business, but does your best player have to be in the game until the buzzer when she's already got her stats. They did clear the bench, but they never had a starterless lineup as far as I could see. I know I'm whining, but it's my only observation that was a little negative. They are definitely an impressive team that could make a run for the Boro this season. Did the Hollifield girl go to Powell Middle or did she come from another school? She is a going to be special, as if they need more special players. I was just curious since she played AAU for the assistant coach last season. I also think that Kallenberg is one of the top assistants in the state, and he will have his own program soon......

Hollifield has never played organized basketball with the exception of a home school team and AAU. She has played with Shelbyville Sport Shop over the past couple of summers. The asst coach at Powell doesn't coach this team, he did coach Ogan with Coach Burkey (Greeneville) on the TN Stars. Best of luck Powell and hope to see you soon.