State Duals format

BayouBear

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I understand it, this is in the general neighborhood of how it works.

If the DI coaches association passes a proposal for a TSSAA body to consider, that proposal is forwarded to the TSSAA office by a member school, signed by that school's principal to be included in one of the up-coming meetings, Spring or Summer. At whichever meeting the proposal is considered, discussion may be held among the voting body to gain greater understanding and clarity on the proposal's merits and implications. It is possible for interested persons to be present at these meetings to witness the disposition of the proposal. If procedure in the not too distant past is still in place, it is possible for interested persons (as far as I am aware, who are connected to a member school, i. e. coach, principal, athletic director) to address the body to present their views in favor of or opposed to the proposal.

The action taken by the body can be to pass the proposal, to turn it down by vote, or to take "no action", which in effect is a "no" vote. At some point after the proposal is considered, the TSSAA office sends a letter stating the action of the board to the member school that submitted the proposal, and most probably to the coach of that school who would have initiated the member request on behalf the coaches association. The TSSAA also posts and makes available information regarding the action of the voting bodies on their own website and to newspaper reporters who are interested. So feedback on the action can reach coaches via the TSSAA website, newspapers that cover the story, contact with the member school (or more directly with the coach of that school) that submitted the proposal, or, the best and surest method, by being present while the voting body is considering the proposal.

As far as feedback on logic behind the action, I have never seen it posted or included per se in a release. However, the TSSAA staff has always been very helpful in providing information to member-related requests and as far as I know to news organizations who seek information.

So, it would appear to me that the surest way to have the most exact information on the status of a proposal would be to physically follow it through the process.

delaWarr,

Excellent information.

Here is what I know about those meetings at the TSSAA. The meetings are typically not attended very well at all by those that should have the most interest in the outcome of a proposal that they may have voted on. (I said typically, not all, so you guys save your posts of I was there once).

I knew the answer that at the end of your post summed it up, you must follow up on the things that matter to your program. It is no different that the business world or the court system. Sending in a brief to the judge is not better than getting a hearing along with the motion. Questions and clarifacations can happen and issues can be influenced by those what are present.

Again, Thanks for that well worded and informative post.

bkpres, I wasn't addressing my post to you.  I was just posting my thoughts on THIS topic of State Duals format.  You're talking about the regular season and that has nothing to do with this topic.  You shouldn't take my post so personally.  What I posted was just the truth not meant to be inflamatory.  As far as your reference to remove any more private schools from DI only displays your negative attitude towards DI.  What part of my post was not true?  Your response to my post didn't refute anything I said.  My feelings are that your reaction to my post is a clear indicator as to the current climate in DII.  Touche!

PS  When I'm addressing you personally I will start my post with your screen name. Just like i did with this post.

bkpres writes:

"One thing Coach Carter did say to me is that wrestling is the one sport that they would combine DI and DII together for the individual championships if the coaches voted and agreed. Not sure that could happen given the climate in DI, but it sure would be nice."

sly writes:

"Currently, there are private schools wrestling in DI like Boyd Buchanan. So if a DII school wanted to wrestle with the DI schools they actually could. You see if I remember correctly the private schools did have an opinion to the split....they could have argeed to stay in DI just like Boyd Buchanan did if they wanted too."

Sorry sly, it seemed you were addressing your post to my statement. I don't see how this relates to the duals format either as it seems to address the split. And don't worry, I wouldn't take anything you post personally. Also, I don't feel that I have a negative attitude towards DI. I'm more of a DII fan though and think I'm in the majority of both DI and DII when I express a desire to see them all back together for the individuals. Good luck to whatever team you follow at state.

bkpres, I wasn't addressing my post to you. I was just posting my thoughts on THIS topic of State Duals format. You're talking about the regular season and that has nothing to do with this topic. You shouldn't take my post so personally. What I posted was just the truth not meant to be inflamatory. As far as your reference to remove any more private schools from DI only displays your negative attitude towards DI. What part of my post was not true? Your response to my post didn't refute anything I said. My feelings are that your reaction to my post is a clear indicator as to the current climate in DII. Touche!

PS When I'm addressing you personally I will start my post with your screen name. Just like i did with this post.

sly,

Will I not see you tonight in Clarksville?

soms

bkpres, I hesitate to enter this discussion, but since we all are limited by the information that comes our way, maybe we can help to balance one anothers information. I am principally a DI fan, with interests in following DII individuals that I know. I am surrounded mostly by DI fans. The overwhelming majority of these fans that I hear express a preference support the divided system.

bkpres, I hesitate to enter this discussion, but since we all are limited by the information that comes our way, maybe we can help to balance one anothers information. I am principally a DI fan, with interests in following DII individuals that I know. I am surrounded mostly by DI fans. The overwhelming majority of these fans that I hear express a preference support the divided system.

How many divisions? Just for duals? I like adding the runner up in each region.

soms

delaWarr, yeah, you're probably right. Each of us is influenced by the crowd we hang with. I rarely hear anyone supporting the split, but then I hang with mainly a DII crowd. No worries. Wrestle well tonight.

In 1991, Karns went to the large school dual tournament for the first time. At th at time there were only four schools there one each from Upper East Tenn., Chattanooga, Nashville, and Memphis. At that tournament during a converstion with GP West and me, Ronnie asked what we thought about bringing the second place team to the tournament the next year. I am sure he had already made up his mind, but we agreed that it was a good idea. The next year 1992 both small school and large school had the winner and runner-up from each division at their respective location.

That continued until the split into Div I & II. Bradley was in the large school and Cleveland was in the small school. Other powerful schools were split along the same lines. Basically this assured that all areas of the state were fairly represented.

I think that it would greatly help wrestling if we could go back to large school and small school classifications. I have followed Greenback this year and they have developed into a team that can compete as a dual meet team, not necessarily against the Bradleys of this world but against teams from schools of their size. Coach Ridge has done an outstanding job of developing this team and if there had been a small school dual tournament this year they surely would have gone. Without selling any coach or school short, it is hard to make it to the "Big Dance" with limited funds and support. By limited support I don't mean that the parents of small schools don't support their wrestlers, but that with numbers out for wrestling it means more people to help, both physically and financially. The incentive of being able to participate in a state dual tournament could certainly add to the numbers who come out for wrestling in the smaller schools.

If the choices are, runners-up to the dual meet tournament or a small school tournament, then I would vote for a small school tournament. Bottom line on any tournament is money. It would seem that the more excitment that can be created for wrestling would result in more money for TSSAA.

Dan Dugger

Edited by duggerd1