State Duals format

BayouBear

Coach Masters - it appears that the majority would prefer to expand the D1 div to 16 teams and possibly return the small school div also. I understand that at the traditional tourney each year, rule changes are presented to the coaches for a vote. If this is accurate, has the expantion of the duals tourney been voted down in the past? Is there a proposal on the table for this season's vote?

We vote on it every year and some times it passes and sometimes not. Some coaches vote against it just because they know they have no chance even if it is made a 16 team tourney. I even remember 1 year a coach from a team who always finishes 2nd in his region voted against the proposal. Explain that one! Anyway, when it passes the TSSAA never takes action on it.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coach Masters - it appears that the majority would prefer to expand the D1 div to 16 teams and possibly return the small school div also. I understand that at the traditional tourney each year, rule changes are presented to the coaches for a vote. If this is accurate, has the expantion of the duals tourney been voted down in the past? Is there a proposal on the table for this season's vote?

We vote on it every year and some times it passes and sometimes not. Some coaches vote against it just because they know they have no chance even if it is made a 16 team tourney. I even remember 1 year a coach from a team who always finishes 2nd in his region voted against the proposal. Explain that one! Anyway, when it passes the TSSAA never takes action on it.

JM,

I do remember it being voted down one year because it involved a sub-state situation in the proposal. You are right in that it is an honor to qualify for the state duals. Coaches were not willing to give that up by wrestling sub-state matches on the Tuesday prior to the duals and potentially get left out of the mix. Although sub-state is technically qualifying for the next level, at the state duals you are guaranteed two matches under the current format. Lose in sub-state and you only have one match. It has to be frustrating being Cleveland, Kenwood or Red Bank with such great competition in their own regions.

Papabear got it right. The TSSAA is a nonprofit organization that is run for a profit. If your goal is to change the format in any way, then you had better have a plan that will translate into dollars for the TSSAA. The TSSAA is also sensitive to the workload for the dollars that are 'earned' via the tournaments. It is the way the creature works. Maximum output(dollars) for minium input(work).

Talk about it all you want, but change will revolve around the dollar. Bank on it.

Stay slick stay quick!!

Show me a really good D1 team that is not in the state tourney and maybe you'll convince me. 

OK...How about Kenwood? We beat Collierville, split with Clarksville, split with Christian Brothers, finished way ahead of Maryville in the Bradley Central Invitational, and ahead of Brentwood Academy at Father Ryan. We also beat Cleveland this year, a team that many keep making a case for to be at the duals. I have been the only head coach at Kenwood (7 years). For the last 6 years we have finished 2nd in our region duals to Clarksville and have beaten many teams that were able to represent their schools and communities at the state duals. In 2000 we finished 4th at the traditional state tournament, but we were not able to compete in the state duals because we finished 2nd in our region duals to the 2000 state champions, Clarksville. As a coach, I would like nothing more than for our team to be wrestling this weekend. By no means do I think that we would win the duals, but it would be nice for my kids to be able to say they competed with the "best."

Johnny Masters

KKW

This coach has a beef!!

soms

the argument about the best 8 teams being their is absurd. I believe Kenwood and Rossview could beat at least one or two of the participants in this weekends tourny. What about last year. I have no doubt that Clevelan was the second best DI school in the state, but were not able to wrestle in the state duals. It does us no good to complain unless there is something we, as coaches, can change about the state duals. Personally, I see nothing wrong with letting one winner from each region to the duals, but if you are going to place the top four, then the top four teams in the state should be in attendance.

I believe that they are this year, but last year they were not. Even this year, if we go by TN USA rankings, then the fourth ranked team in D1 is not particpating in the duals.

KKW

I brought this quote into this because JCU says that "we,as coaches, can change the state duals"

If I just take what you posted and what this post says, I would be very frustrated with the lack of process that the TSSAA has in this particular subject. If it had been voted on before and the vote was in favor of change and no action was ever taken by the TSSAA. What kind of follow up is there from the coaches or their administrators (or AD's) to get some kind of read on the inaction of a motion that has passed?

Just wondering.

Here is an idea. Do away with the TSSAA State Duals.

In its place, have a dual tournament involving the 8 to 10 top ranked teams in the state.

To appease the Public and Private people, have 2 sets of rankings and run it like 2 seperate events at the same site.

Call it what ever you want to: "Tennesse's Brawl for It All"

Clarksville does a great job with the current state duals, so they should host this event.

Just an idea.