TSSAA REFEREES

Buki4life80

Is it just here or is it everywhere? This has to be a sorriest excuse for referees the TSSAA has ever sent to basketball games. I just hope they are required to practice safe sex. If there has ever been a more royal scr___ing than the Unicoi County boys team got last night at Happy Valley I'd to to know where it is. It is a down right disgrace that as good a good as it was was destroyed by such imcompetent refs.Right down to takjing a win away and giving it to Happy Valley. I just hope the TSSAA has the balls to watch the game films and have the guts to make sure those refs never call another game.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to agree with you. We won tonite but it was so obvious that the refs were for the other team. The one ref never called a foul for us. And then the ones that are out of shape and can't get down the court to make the call so they either don't call it or they guess. I really think they need to be evaluated more. The head ref should have to look at tapes. There is a saying "A ref should never be the deciding factor in a game" they should call what they see not what they want to see. But we know they have their favorites. :justwrestle:

If you don't like the way the refs call the games, go find your area official coordinator, take the open book test, learn the signals, start calling some junior high games, and kazaam you will be a ref. Otherwise stop complaining and hiding behind a keyboard. The refs attempt to a good job and that is the bottom line. ;)

If you don't like the way the refs call the games, go find your area official coordinator, take the open book test, learn the signals, start calling some junior high games, and kazaam you will be a ref. Otherwise stop complaining and hiding behind a keyboard. The refs attempt to a good job and that is the bottom line. ;)

Amen brother. I don't call TSSAA basketball, but I do officiate football and baseball. The guys that are out there are usually there for one of two reasons:

1) The assigning officer believes they are capable of calling a good, fair and unbiased game and that their rules knowledge and mechanics are what they should be at the high school level.

2) There is a "good ol' boy network" in the particular association (sadly, this happens).

Most of the officials are out there because they love being part of the game. They know the rules and the mechanics, but some games are just tough to call. And basketball is the toughest sport to officiate, in my opinion. Also keep in mind that sometimes people in the stands have a better angle on plays than the officials do, simply because the spectators can see the whole floor while an official might be blocked out from something.

And I say to those who get on here and bash officials: If you think you can do better, please sign up to officiate. Associations are always looking for people with your superior knowledge of the rules and mechanics. If you don't want to sign up, then quit complaining about those that do!

The key word there is ATTEMPT to do a good. If everyone that was employed ATTEMPTED, but didn't do a good job, then no-one would be employed. There's no excuse for out of shape refs who blatantly look the other way when someone is fouled. This thread is just the second verse of many posts that have been on here. I agree the refs stink and they will continue to stink until their held accountable. You know, the refs that Unaka had at East the other night were supposed to be better than most of the refs that we get. Guess what, they stunk it up too. Their either too fat, too lazy or just dont give a poop about making good calls. It's no skin off their nose if they make a crappy call, they take off their stripped shirts, pull their little black case to the car and go home.

They could care less that perhaps one of their cross-eyed calls cost a team the game. I know, a good team should be able to over come that and in most cases they can. But there's not one person on this board that can say that you haven't played at leaset one game where the refs were biased. It's not fair to the kids that work their tails off just to let some out of shape, half-blind ref take it away. Ok I've whined enough. nite nite. P.S GOOD GAME LADY RANGERS

Edited by keepinscore

The refs need to be more consistent. I saw a game tonight that was called well in the 1st half, letting the small things go and just letting the boys play some ball. In the 2nd half the refs just decided to call everything. One team could play as agressive as they did in the first half. If they let the small things go in the first half, they shouldn't be called for fouls at the end of the game.

If you got rid of all the overweight, out-of-shape refs, there wouldn't be enough left to cover all the games on a given night. The reason for this is that fewer new officials are joining up and assigning officers are forced to put older, more grizzled officials on the floor whom they know are going to do a bad job; they just don't have anyone else to do it! And if you didn't have officials, you wouldn't have a game.

Why don't we let some of you ref-bashers get out there and call a game and see how you like it? I'd like to see the tables turned, have you get out there and call a game and then have people get on a message board and talk about what a terrible job you did. A phrase you often hear about officiating is that it's the only job where you're expected to be perfect your first day and improve each day after that. The expectations people put on officials are sometimes unreasonable. It is humanly impossible for them to get every single call 100% right.

Kind of a double standard. If an official gets 95% of his calls right, but misses the other 5%, he's perceived by the fans to be a bad official. But if a baseball player bats .300, which means he FAILS 70% of the time, he's having a good season!

It's true that some officials are clearly biased, and those are the ones that need to be gotten rid of. But other officials are hustling and doing their best.

I work intramural basketball at UT and had two games tonight. First game I was working with a guy that clearly had absolutely no clue what he was doing. I don't think he blew his whistle the whole night, ended up on the same side of the court as me several times, and signaled a three-pointer when the shooter was about 5 feet inside the line. Now, THAT's a bad official. But it's all we've got! Very few qualified people want to subject themselves to the ridicule that officials receive, so they don't join up to officiate and you are left with what you have. So until YOU get out there and try to make a difference yourself, give them a break! You just don't understand what goes into officiating until you do it yourself.

Edited by bigwes68