TSSAA REFEREES

Buki4life80

libertyfan

I do not understand the thought process to get rid of all "different official organizations." And bring it under one roof? They already are - the TSSAA. as stated in a previous post, local organizations serve as the training ground for all officials, especially the young ones. I know the Nashville group meets every Monday night. These meetings usually last about 1-1/2 hours. Rules, mechanics and different situations that occurred at games from the previous week are all discuussed. It is a continual learning process for both young and old.

I do however agree with you about going back to two man crews. Sometimes I think with the extra official their is a tendency to wait on your partner to make the call. I'll take two good officials any day for a big game.

Your comment about same crews year cround is not practical at all and will never work. Did you ever stop to think that some officials work a college schedule and are not available for all high school games? There could be many reasons why someone might not be available on any given night.

One last thing. I'm not sure how other areas of the state work, but I do know Nashville ( unless they have changed this the last couple of years ) has a rating system for assigning games. Each coach prior to the season is asked to rate 40 officials. They are to list 5# ones, 5# twos', 5# threes, etc. Each coach is also allowed two scratch up to five officials. The assigner then schedules officials based on the highest rated official of each coach for each game. Also an official can not have the same team more than 5 times a season or 3 times at home. It may not be perfect but 90% of the time each coach will have the two officials that they have rated. It also weeds out the weak ones. There may be some that will have as many as 30+ games a year. Others no more than 4 or 5.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heyitsme, GREAT POST!! As I have stated in other posts, I love to go high school games across the area. I have several acquaintances which referee as well. Granted, I have seen many new and young officials over the last 3-5 years, mostly due to all games having to have 3 officials. This basically means that in most every "crew", you will have one very experienced official, one decent one, and one fairly inexperienced one. Sometimes you may have 2 or 3 very experienced ones.

It is always interesting when people in the stands, including some coaches, don't know the rules. If it looks ugly, it MUST be a walk right? Not necessarily! If there is contact of any kind on a shot, it must be a four right? Not necessarily! Most all of the referees will not miss a rule, but they may get an occasional call (out of bounds, block - charge, etc,) wrong. They are human.

Keep in mind, fans are usually one sided in their eyesight on plays while referees have a black and a white stripe!

Sportsfanman we do have biased officials in our area. Never the less it's evident that there is nothing that can be done about it. When you said they know most of the rules, I have seen that to be just the opposite this year. Last night we had an experienced official give a time out to the opposing team after they made a shot with a running clock not a free throw. We got the ball in and started down court about 20 feet and then the ref gave the team a time out. The only way that should happen is if they called it at the moment the ball fell thru the net, not after we are already moving down court. Letting then stop the clock and not have to foul.

I am a parent and I do know the rules and have studied them. The only thing I really have a problem with is not being consistent. If you let one team play physical then both teams should be allowed to play that way.

We have more fouls called on our girls team in the first quarter than both boys team will have combined in the first half. Everyone knows boys are more physical so if you won't let the girls play that way then why can the boys?

Yes it is a high school sport and a lot of people say not to be upset when the officials mess up. I agree to a certain point and never approve of cursing or physically harming a ref. But when your team is setting at home while others are playing in regional and sub-state and your child does not get the exposure for colleges that they could get by making farther in the season then it's a little more than a high school sport. If that was the case then why play for a championship or give a golden ball to the school. If it's just a game.

Again there are a lot of good refs, but there are a lot of bad ones as well. I just ask for a level playing field and let the players and coaches decide the game.

My papa always told me. if you don't like the game with the referees ya got, try playing the game without them.

Officiating, at any level, is a thankless task.

And yes, I wish some folks would put on the whistle or get behind the plate or grab a flag and go at it. Why? Because experience is a great teacher....

Another thing my late papa told me. In that rare game where you think an official costs you a game, there were probably a dozen things over the course of the game that was in your control, that could have affected the outcome of the game. Perhaps, if you had been succesful in a 1/3 of those situations, that

one call would not have been that detrimental...

People make mistakes and errors of omission and comission in every line of work. Heck, Johnny Unitas was cut from his first pro team and Michael Jordan was cut from his freshman high school team. My Redskins hired Steve Spurrier. My granddaughter's french fries were left out of the bag at the drive thru tonight.

The good calls far outweight the bad calls. And think of the bad calls in much the way the divit bites you on the fairway or the pebble makes that ground ball suddenly bounce over your head or that wet spot on the court makes you slip. As part of the game. Not for better. Not for worse. Just for the game. After all, isn't that what sports is supposed to be all about, a game????

Sportie at what level did you ref for free and where do you work so we can raise a little on you. Nice the way your kids were calling Erwin Kids faggotts and the way the guy thrown out was acting. I bet Charlie Bayless who is a tremendous coach and first class individual would be real proud of how his fans are acting

It must not have bothered Bayless how his fans was acting. They was sitting right beside him and he made no effort to quite them. He is a teacher also I presume.

It wasn't only the last call. I was peferring to. Thw whole game was the sorriest officiating possible.

Sit back and watch how different the refs are when they are being graded. They look around in the stands before games ever start and know if Ralph or Charlie are their watching them. Most people wouldn't know them from Adam but the refs do and are their best then.

First of all I am not from Happy Valley so you need to get off that. I have been to Unicoi games and you have a parent that is loud mouthed and needs to be thrown out of every game but I do not sit here and down Unicoi for him. So you need to quit blaming everyone that you think is from Happy Valley

Second of all I am a parent that happens to know the rules of the game. I have played, coached and ref'ed the game of basketball. So the sorry excuse about the parents yelling and not knowing the rules don't fly. I have seen more refs that don't know the rules then parents.

Third of all Johnny makes good grades and is a model student so I don't have to go to school and jump the teacher. And as for my kids I assure you the blame goes where it lies.

Again ~ If you will read all the post even the ones that te refs posted. The other Ref's are saying that we have Ref's that stink that they just don't have enough to go around. So does that mean as a spectator that we have to put up with incompitance because you cannot take the time to train or recruit.

I wish that you all could have went to the game I went to last night ~ I really and truly think they picked this guy up on the street the last minute and put stripes on him. He couldn't call a dog if he had a t-bone in his mouth. And no we didn't loose we won.

To all you good Refs out there I am sorry that you are having to take the heat but I think you need to step up and take charge of the ones that are making you look bad. There is nothing wrong with you going over and telling him you saw it different. You should be out there to do what is right not make the other Ref look good.

Sorry Sportie. I was replying to hvwarrior80 post. Not yours.And btw hvwarrior on that last drive you are referring to how many UC players did Whitehead charge into that was called blocks. You drive like you say the length of the floor and run over 2 players and they get called for the block. Get real. Charlie called that play because he knew how it would be called because the refs had called blocking all night not one charge. Take your ref given gift and enjoy it. After the tournament you won't have these Wat. refs that kiss his butt.

Sorry Sportie. I was replying to hvwarrior80 post. Not yours.And btw hvwarrior on that last drive you are referring to how many UC players did Whitehead charge into that was called blocks. You drive like you say the length of the floor and run over 2 players and they get called for the block. Get real. Charlie called that play because he knew how it would be called because the refs had called blocking all night not one charge. Take your ref given gift and enjoy it. After the tournament you won't have these Wat. refs that kiss his butt.

hey bud,whitehead was the fan that was bein called the fagget,the player u were referrin to was Rutledge.he received no contact nor gave any contact until he was under the basket,and i dont agree with callin a charge when a player is under the basket anyways.be a man and take the charge before he is under the hoop.as for it bein the sorriest game ud ever seen,what about the fact that uc shot 22 free throws while we shot 15.

MAYBE YOU SHOULD LOOK AT THE FACT THAT UR BOYS MISSED 9 OF 22 FREE THROWS AND NOT THE REFS.GET UR BOYS IN THE GYM AND GET OFF OF COACHT.

as for us callin them faggets,i was sittin in the middle of our student section and didnt hear anyone call a unicoi person a fagget.nor did i hear anyone talkin about the black referee,except for the fact that he wasnt the ref that looks like dave chappelle.quit makin excuses for ur teams loss.maybe u would have gotten more charges called on us if u would have taken as many as we did,o and u need to practice takin charges cuz ur team is horrible at it.bad calls?what about the out of bounds at the end that was at least 6 inches out of bounds and the ref said it was in.that could have been disastrous if one of our boys wouldnt have grabbed the ball.yeah,im not goin to lie,the refs did lean to our side part of the time.but thats called home cookin and every team gets it,but u blow it way out of proportion.i have seen those refs,except for the black ref,an all of 2 times this year,so i wont be surprised if we have different refs durin the tourney.we have won 12 other games this year,so unlike erwin,we dont need the refs to win.

hvwarrior58

You are right about charge call. all refs are instructed by the state not to call charging if the defensive player is within a 3 foot radius of the basket. The reasdoning is you don't play defense under the basket. It was designed to keep from having cheap calls.

Hew Warrior who is Dave Chappelle and which one looked like him. As for Charlie setting beside the fans It looked to me he was under the basket. As for 2 of those guys you only saw twice I know one of them works in about 3 or 4 College conferences so maybe thats why. I have saw him ref at Milligan

Hew Warrior who is Dave Chappelle and which one looked like him. As for Charlie setting beside the fans It looked to me he was under the basket. As for 2 of those guys you only saw twice I know one of them works in about 3 or 4 College conferences so maybe thats why. I have saw him ref at Milligan

dave chappelle is a black comedian,hes got his own show on comedy central called chappelles show,really funny guy.theres a younger,at least he looks younger,black ref that has reffed some of our games that looks like him

TDJ85 I'm not sure where you get your info on the state telling the refs not to call a charge under the goal but that is wrong. We are not told that by anyone and the rule book has nothing about a 3 foot radius of the basket. A charge can happen anywhere on the court.

Edited by volnutt