TSSAA REFEREES

Buki4life80

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

volnut- It has been a few years since I have officiated, but that was what we were told in the nashville association which was relayed to us from the state supervisors. If it has changed since then I apologize, or it could be different associations choose to interpret it another way.

Everyone that has been on here bashing officials should try to officiate themselves. Anyone can set in the stands or on the bench and yell what they think is the right call, and that will never change as long as sports are played. As far as everyone who thinks that their team lost the game because of the officials should take another look at the team and the coaching staff. Officials DO NOT decide the outcome of a game nor do they want to decide the putcome of a game. Officiating is one of the hardest things to do, and if anyone things the only reason anyone officiates for is money then they have lost their mind. For most officials it brings them back to the sports they love some much. I think the people who are on here crying about the officials are using it as an excuse. And as far as the fans thinking they know the rules, well they should think again. All they know is the rules the watch on espn or some other sports show on sunday. Everyone who gets on here and says that they could do such a supper job officiating should put on the whistle and walk out on the court or field. Officiating is a humbling experience. It brings the know it alls down to earth and it really tests a person's morals. It takes a special group of people to wear the black and white stripes. Officiating REALLY IS A THANKLESS JOB, and all of those who say that the money is so good, well you should drive the distances and buy the gear and then talk about how good the money is. So everyone needs to quit blameing the officials and and fix the team. And if anyone thinks other wise the grab a whistle and bring it to the court or field and give officiating a try.

ball.yeah,im not goin to lie,the refs did lean to our side part of the time.but thats called home cookin and every team gets it,but u blow it way out of proportion.i have seen those refs,except for the black ref,an all of 2 times this year,so i wont be surprised if we have different refs durin the tourney.we have won 12 other games this year,so unlike erwin,we dont need the refs to win.

Home cooking. I thought the refs were supposed to be unbiased as to who is home or visitor.

As to not needing the refs to win. You sure as heck did Monday Night.

I cannot believe that you are acually saying that you only make a dollar an hour well get this ~ as a parent I have to put out a lot of money for my child to play the game you Ref.

1. shoes to play in ~ $80.00 - $120.00

2. Warm ups ~ $40.00

3. Tee-shirt ~ $12.00

4. ankle braces ~ $50.00

5. B-ball camp ~ $845.00 (3 camps)

6. Hotels to go watch $68.00 a night x 6 nights

7. food $30.00 a day x 3 people

8. gas $60.00

that is just the summer before the season starts

9. new shoes $80.00 - $120.00

10. game admission $5.00 x 3 x 26 games

11. food at games $5.00 x 3 x 26 games

12. gas to and from games & prac $1200.00 aprox

13. powerade $100.00

14. Doctor bills ~ $700.00 after insurance pays

and I can go on and on

I put out this much and don't get a dollar paycheck every game. So yes it does make me mad when my kid is busting its butt so you can make bad calls and say "DUH, we just don't have enough good ref's to go around or we don't get paid that much. I know you get paid good or you wouldn't be doing it. Cry to someone who gives a care. I pay for my right to gripe, you don't.

I cannot believe that you are acually saying that you only make a dollar an hour well get this ~ as a parent I have to put out a lot of money for my child to play the game you Ref.

1. shoes to play in ~ $80.00 - $120.00

2. Warm ups ~ $40.00

3. Tee-shirt ~ $12.00

4. ankle braces ~ $50.00

5. B-ball camp ~ $845.00 (3 camps)

6. Hotels to go watch $68.00 a night x 6 nights

7. food $30.00 a day x 3 people

8. gas $60.00

that is just the summer before the season starts

9. new shoes $80.00 - $120.00

10. game admission $5.00 x 3 x 26 games

11. food at games $5.00 x 3 x 26 games

12. gas to and from games & prac $1200.00 aprox

13. powerade $100.00

14. Doctor bills ~ $700.00 after insurance pays

and I can go on and on

I put out this much and don't get a dollar paycheck every game. So yes it does make me mad when my kid is busting its butt so you can make bad calls and say "DUH, we just don't have enough good ref's to go around or we don't get paid that much. I know you get paid good or you wouldn't be doing it. Cry to someone who gives a care. I pay for my right to gripe, you don't.

Shoes, warm-ups, t-shirt, ankle braces -- generally the school takes care of stuff like that. I seriously doubt you've been shelling out that much money. You're also one of the first parents I've ever heard of that goes to the summer camps and spends 6 nights in a hotel to watch meaningless summer games; I think that's a little ridiculous. You could easily save some money right there.

Also, just keep in mind that without officials' associations and neutral people assigned to games, you'd be getting serious home-cooking at every single away game. Tennessee is fortunate that it has booking organizations that take care of assigning officials to games. Some other states have each school get its own officials for all their home games, and you KNOW that doesn't work. If that were the case, you might have some valid complaints. But you haven't made a single valid, coherent or otherwise mature argument yet. That's also a really good example you're setting for your kid, getting on a message board and badmouthing officials. It is a very rare occasion when an entire loss can be blamed on incompetent or biased officials; a good team can overcome poor officiating. The truly great coaches never blame officials, they just work even harder to make sure their team can overcome bad calls. Bad calls are going to happen, and I'm sure your team has been the beneficiary of a few this season, but I haven't heard you complain about those.

As for "right to gripe," YOU are not the one on the floor getting called everything in the book when you make a questionable call. Many officials (granted, not all) "bust their butt" as well. I agree that the game should be about the players, but there must also be officials to keep order. And the officials must be respected. These guys are not professionals, but they are doing their best. Along the same lines, your kid is not a professional basketball player, but I'm sure he is doing his best. Officials expect to get yelled at, it comes with the territory. And while you might violently disagree with some of his calls, you have to have a certain amount of respect for him for having the guts to actually get out on the floor when he knows he's going to be subjected to this sort of verbal (and sometimes physical) abuse.

(Is it just me, or are we going in circles here?)