TNT vs TMSAA

FullcourtPress

The coaches that are not in TMSAA will say they don't have the number of students to compete. what I say is you don't work hard enough. They don't want to put in the time to teach the kids what it takes to compete at a higher level.

I have to disagree to an extent. My school is a part of TMSAA. We play the games and participate in the tournament. Our entire school enrollment (K-8th) is less than 375 students. We are also a rural school. Two of the schools in our district have enrollments (6th-8th) of almost 1000 students. They are located in cities of about 15,000 people. More people means more athletes, usually. Our typical starting line-up (boys) usually has no one over 6 feet tall. Of course, there are exceptions. These bigger 6th-8th schools seem to have half a dozen 6'2-6'5 players. They are usually quicker, more athletic, and physically superior to our boys. If we press, then the bigger teams can throw over the press and shoot lay-ups. If they press us, we usually cannot pass over them b/c of their height and/or quickness. Even if we block out, rebound opportunities are limited. And heaven forbid we try to drive into the lane. People in the stands are in danger of our shots getting thrown at them. We could have the best coach in the nation and practice 24/7 and still not beat them most of the time, despite the lack of trying or hustle or work.

Some of this is exaggerated, almost comically. But, realistically, only every 6-7 years do we have a team that can compete with the bigger schools. We get no better by losing by 30-40 points per game. In 7 years of TMSAA membership, our boys have never beaten one of these bigger schools. We will probably stay in TMSAA, but might consider playing in the TNT just to play against people our own size (both player size and school size)just to give our kids a chance.

When the kids get to high school, then the playing field is usually more level. TSSAA schools are grouped by size (except for privates, but that is another time and another place). TMSAA has no such distinction. Maybe if there was a way to group TMSAA schools by size, it would be different.

As much as I hate to lose, winning isnt everything. Making junior high sports fun is the goal we should all be striving for. Isn't it???

Edited by PowerSet

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

jabstep: Just because some schools choose not to be in the TMSAA, does not mean that they can not compete with bigger schools or their coaches do not work hard enough to make them better. I know of schools that have not only competed but defeated schools in the TMSAA. You can not put all schools or coaches in the same boat. Some schools where a coach has both the girls and boys teams might be better off not being in the association because of practice restrictions. While many of the boys players are participating in football, they take the opportunity to get the girls team ready. Sure, we could argue pros and cons for each side. It depends on the schools preference. How many schools in the TMSAA are not very good year in and year out? Also, since there are less practice restrictions, I bet many non-TMSAA coaches put in more time than those who are in the association. Many schools play both non-members and members as well. Don't say that they are not playing any teams without good players. There are good players, teams, and coaches in each area. Take single A for example, how many state championships has Bradford and Gleason won? Are they in the middle school association? I think not! Did not playing in the middle school association keep them

from reaching their potential? Just a thought. Dont say that coaches not in the TMSAA dont work hard and dont spend time making players better.

I think if the TMSAA is going to continue then you must force schools to participate. You have members playing in the TNT and not the TMSAA and expect to get the best teams. Our school is a member and our principal believes that if you pay money to be in the association then you should also participate in the events. I am not sure if it will ever happen but, Mr. Childress nees to sit down with all participating schools and require them to participate in the tournaments every year not just when you have a winning record. We have a real problem at the middle school level with teams choosing not to play based on how good they are. The high school teams still go to the district tournament whether they have won 10 or 1 in the district. It's time that we either move forward and establish a TMSAA tournament that is welcomed by all or just say forget it and everyone go to the TNT. I know I am not the only one who feels this way so I would appreciate any comments.

I agree with acl. I feel that the TMSA should do the middle schools about the same way they do high school. I believe that it would not only put more money into the TSSAA fund but it would enhance the level of play at the middle school level. You would then have districts that would be required to play other teams in that district. The way it is now, it is hard to find teams to play. Also, it would encourage the middle schools to find good coaches that would be willing to work with the kids and teach them the game, which in turn teaches them part of life. I don't feel this should be limited to one sport it should cover all available.

i do not know any thing about the TNT.

:D

If the TMSAA is going to FORCE me to play in a district, they had better do a better job classifying us. If we are going to play a schedule based solely on location, I'll save the $300 a year (which we pay) and schedule my own games (like I do now). TSSAA doesnt put 5A schools in a 1A district because of geography. TMSAA had better not either (like they do now). The current alignment is inconsistent. We play in a district with a school 62 miles away. There are four other TMSAA schools within 25 miles in another district, three of them being 20 minute drives. As far as there being large and small classifications, they're not in West Tennessee. There is only one tournament, regardless of size. This should be changed. TSSAA reclassifies when enrollments change, why not TMSAA?

TMSAA does have its good points, such as the catastrophic insurance, but in other areas, there is room for some much needed improvement.

The TMSAA does have the Small & Large classifications - the problem is that they allow the schools to choose which classification they play in. This creates problems when larger schools play in the Small classification simply to prevent travel costs. Its not fair to the small rural middle schools that feed A high schools to be competing with the large middle schools that feed AAA high schools.

How about this:

One or two middle schools that feed a Single A High School as the lowest division.

One or more middle schools that feed a Double A High School as a middle division.

One or more middle schools that feed Triple A High Schools as the large division.

Then allow the school's to "move up" in division if the want, but not move down.

If their enrollment figures are extremely low, allow those schools to petition the TMSAA to classify these teams into the lowest division for competitive reasons.

Now determine where all the teams are divisioned, and then conference them according to there nearest geograpical neighbors.

Like all systems, this needs to be "tweaked", but its a good starting point.

:blink::blink::rolleyes: