radio and tv announcers

sherlockholmes

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the announcers can call the game without getting excited for their home team hitting a basket, or yelling at the ref because of a bad call.. i listen.

personally, being a dyer county alumni, i have to say the staff from WTRO/WASL 1450 AM do a great job at keeping their composure during the game.

I'm sure EVERYONE remembers the past few years, as the girls went 33-1 ... as the boys team went to state back to back times... i admit, the guys got excited on the air and for good reason!!!

but to my original point, for a loudmouth redneck to get on the air and try to call a game, is a shame... because they get wrapped up in cheering for their kids or their friend's kids instead of relaying the game to listeners.

Just have class about it... do your job... celebrate off the air!! ;)

Is there any other station to listen to occhs basketball? I understand the school has a tape delayed tv broadcast of centrals games. When and what time if they do?

As to other stations carrying OCCHS games...1240 WENK am will have Monday night's OCCHS Girls game w/Union City at 8:00. I believe all games from the District 13AA will be on 101.7 fm or 95.1 fm.

As to the television, you could probably call the school and find out either a schedule for when the games are on or they will be able to tell you who to call to find out.

Code,

Its interesting to me that you would like to listen to a flat broadcast of a high school basketball game. Being excited for a team makes it easier for the listener to listen for a few hours.A monotone call puts the listener to sleep. If a radio station in a Community is there to serve that Community shouldn't they be a little bit excited for their hometown heros? The broadcast is for the friends and family as well as the casual fan. I think if the announcer gives praise to the other team and is fair in the call most people can deal with somebody supporting kids with enthusiasm. Just my opinion.

If the announcers can call the game without getting excited for their home team hitting a basket, or yelling at the ref because of a bad call.. i listen.

Say wha?

You're not supposed to get excited, you're supposed to stay monotonous throughout the broadcast?

If you'll clarify what you said to mean that you're talking about not getting carried away, I agree. But you have to get excited at least a few times or else it's just painfully boring to listen to.

personally, being a dyer county alumni, i have to say the staff from WTRO/WASL 1450 AM do a great job at keeping their composure during the game.

I'm sure EVERYONE remembers the past few years, as the girls went 33-1 ... as the boys team went to state back to back times... i admit, the guys got excited on the air and for good reason!!!

but to my original point, for a loudmouth redneck to get on the air and try to call a game, is a shame... because they get wrapped up in cheering for their kids or their friend's kids instead of relaying the game to listeners.

Just have class about it... do your job... celebrate off the air!! :D

I've been doing play-by-play for almost 20 years high school, college, and pro and I've never heard anyone complain about someone getting excited about their team. You need to get a clue. Are you saying only get excited if your team makes it to the state, PLEASE WAKE-UP! :)

hey codeyh, i agree with you, the guys that do the dyer county games on wtro 1450 are awesome. they give credit to the visiting team and they DO get excited for the home team. very rarely do they get on the refs and they are very professional during the broadcasts. i really enjoy listening to them.

What about the other tournaments? Who has those?

97.7 fm has the District 16A tournament from Lake County. 93.7 fm will cover Milan in the District 11AA tournament from Lexington and some of the Gibson County games in the District 13AA tournament from Martin. 1240 am in Union City will cover UC and Obion County Central games in the D13AA tournament. 101.7 fm and 1410 am will cover all of the games from the D13AA tournament.

As to getting excited on a broadcast...you wouldn't be doing the players justice if you didn't get excited about a great play or big win for either team - whether it is your team or not. A good broadcast is fan friendly, exciting and statistically correct. After all, it is journalistic entertainment. But, everyone has their own opinion in what makes a good broadcast.

97.7 fm has the District 16A tournament from Lake County. 93.7 fm will cover Milan in the District 11AA tournament from Lexington and some of the Gibson County games in the District 13AA tournament from Martin. 1240 am in Union City will cover UC and Obion County Central games in the D13AA tournament. 101.7 fm and 1410 am will cover all of the games from the D13AA tournament.

As to getting excited on a broadcast...you wouldn't be doing the players justice if you didn't get excited about a great play or big win for either team - whether it is your team or not. A good broadcast is fan friendly, exciting and statistically correct. After all, it is journalistic entertainment. But, everyone has their own opinion in what makes a good broadcast.

Don't forget my friend Dist. 15A in it's entirety on 101.7 FM with me & Little Brother!