Rockwood

RHSBASEBALL99

Well, this season has come to an end. Although, sooner and not the way I would have liked, it was a very good one. We have 6 very talanted and dedicated seniors leaving, 3 of which will play at the next level (very great careers at R'wood). We won the first game in Memphis (tied for 5th in state). We set a new school record or two (wins in a season, 30; and probably ejections, 3 this year lol). I'm sad that I will no longer get to put on my Rockwood Tigers jersey and play for great coaches in David Lane, Joey Cofer, and John Kennedy.

I will try my best to keep up with Rockwood (all my buddies on CoachT better keep me up to date :lol: ) for the next 4 years while I'm in Alabama.

I would like to congratulate Matt Goddard and Robert Gilmore for their performances in Memphis: Matt Goddard stroked the baseball (went something like 6 for 7). Robert Gilmore is the only Rockwood pitcher in history to record 2 Wins at the state tourny (Friendship this year and last).

One more time, Go Tigers!

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since Goose probably won't be able to get anything in the paper until Friday...

game 1 vs. Friendship Christian

Rockwood came out strong in this reamtch of last years second round game when the Tigers sent the Commanders packing. The Tigers opened the game with 2 runs. But that lead would soon disapear as FCS scored one run in both the 1st and 2nd innings. In the top of the 5th the Tigers pushed across on run to break the tie, but FCS would tie it up the next inning and take the lead with one run in the bottom of the 6th. In the top of the 7th with things looking bleak for Rockwood the Tigers strung several hits together an RBI double by Goddard and a 2 rbi double by Cook to push score 3 runs in the frame. FCS would score one run in the bottom of the inning but Robert Gilmore finished off his 85 pitch complete game preformance, and got the win. Of the 5 runs scored by FCS only 3 were earned as two reached on fielding errors by the Tigers Defense, a sign of what was to come. RHS 6- FCS 5

game 2 vs. Goodpasture.

Missed opportunities. The Tigers lefta runner at 2nd in every inning, and left the bases loaded once. Goodpasture jumped out early hitting 2 doubles and Home Run to start the game. After the Home Run Robinson seemed to gain some convidence and pitched several more scoreless innings. Robinson who is fighting pain in his pitching hand, pitched a good game but the Rockwood bats left him out to dry. Goodpasture would tack on several more runs eventually knocking Robinson out of the game. Reed came in, in relieve and finished the game. Rockwood finally scored one run in the 7th. RHS 1- GP 8

game 3 vs. USJ

RHS protested the game before it was ever started, as USJ was caught violating a tournament rule prior to the game. The appeal will not be ruled on till after the tournament. To add to this distraction Tigers Freshmen Zack Edwards was injured in warm ups after being struck by a thrown baseball, after treatment he returned to the dugout. The game started with USJ singling up the middle 4 times before an out was recorded eventually scoring 3 runs in the inning. From there it went down hill. USJ found holes simmingly everytime they made contact. USJ 14- RHS 1

Rockwood graduates 6 seniors: Beeson, Clark, Gilmore, McCreary, Reed and Robinson. Rockwood returns 3 starters in the infield and one outfielder and their DH, On the mound they bring back Chandler, Payne and M Gilmore. While several undercalssmen with the team this year will have chances to fill in the vacant spots.

Edited by MaC RHS

I know I've only been covering sports in Roane County for a few years, but I think it's safe to say that this group of seniors at Rockwood has left a legacy that will last for a long long time. I would have loved to see how well they could have done without the private schools, but I don't think Coach Lane uses that as an excuse. I know he thinks they would have a better chance year in and year out without the privates, but I also know Coach Lane thinks his team can compete with anybody.

You have to really hand it to Rockwood's seniors. Brian Reed, E.T. McCreary, Josh Clark, Chris Beeson, Seth Robinson and Robert Gilmore gave it their all for the Green and Gold and that, as well as talent, will be hard to replace in the years to come.

The tournament rules say no team can take batting practice at the site of the game. USJ took batting practice at CBHS this morning before the game.

I'm not going to say that Rockwood would have won or anything, but Rockwood's players felt that USJ had cheated and had an unfair advantage going into the game. Rockwood's players were caught up in this through the first couple of innings and seemed to lose focus on playing their game.

The bad thing about the whole deal was the umpires knew nothing of the rule and told Rockwood that the game couldn't be played under protest. They later said if they wanted to file a grievence with TSSAA that it would be acted upon in their June Meeting. Now what good would that do Rockwood if TSSAA decided to make USJ forfeit (not gonna happen anyway) or ruled that the Tigers should have also been allowed to take batting practice at USJ.

Rockwood's principal called someone in TSSAA named Gene, but his call was never returned (or at least when I was there).

I don't really have a problem with the whole batting practice thing. I was more concerned with how the umpires and TSSAA seemed a little lost in the process.

I think USJ was the better team, but the Tigers were definitely adversely affected by a clear rules violation. I'd say it was an honest mistake, but they should have been able to get in touch with whoever was in charge of the baseball tournament for a ruling. I think the simpliest ruling would have been to allow Rockwood to take batting practice also then neither team had an advantage.

Again, I'm not trying to say that USJ didn't deserve to win.

Edited by goosevol

....I'm sad that I will no longer get to put on my Rockwood Tigers jersey....I will try my best to keep up with Rockwood (all my buddies on CoachT better keep me up to date :unsure: ) for the next 4 years while I'm in Alabama.

One more time, Go Tigers!

My son and I had the pleasure to become acquainted with E.T. and his dad at a showcase two years ago. E.T. has greatly contributed to the continuing success of the Rockwood program and no one is more dedicated or works harder on the field. It was great to speak with your dad again and an honor to watch you play in the state tournament this year. We wish you the very best as you begin your college career at Faulkner. Rockwood is losing one solid leader and especially one fine young man!