Best team ever?

Jimmy Chitwood

• 19 years later...
On 3/1/2004 at 9:54 PM, soccerchick said:

York's best team would be when my dad played in about 68' I think, only York Boys team to ever make it to the state tournament and that was when there weren't different classes. Nicky Whited was the star, from what the Athletic Director and my dad (of course my dad is partial because it was his bestfriend)have told me, he was the best player to ever go to York, but he was killed shortly after the end of his highschool career. :D

Nicky Whited was my cousin. He played ball before i was born. My parents would tell me how great of a player he was. Tragically,he murdered by a woman when I was 5/6 years old.

Maryville High School in 2007 won the 3A State Title. 30-7

Best players were Aaron Douglas and Jordan Damron

Crazy thing is in the regional final at Powell. Powell beat Maryville by 20. Maryville won a close game vs Science Hill on the road at Sub State. At the State Tournament Maryville beat Bradly in overtime,Beat Whites Creek in a close game and won over Clarksville in overtime.  Wasn;t that dominant team like the Dane Bradshaw led White Station team or those loaded Memphis East  team coached by Penny Hardaway.

On 2/28/2004 at 10:59 PM, pcviking said:

perry county '97

coach:bruce slatten

best player:Kirk Haston

record:37-0

Kirk Haston then went on to play for Indiana U.He is in top ten scorers for iu.Then went on to play for the Charlotte Hornets.But he was just one of many great players on the team.

I played in the State against Hastons my sophomore year. He taught me what a real big time college player would look like.

White co won state championship in 1997 and 1998. Almost unbeatable. Jolly 6’6 gribble 6’5 walker 6’7 austin 6’8.  Will never be another team like them. They put slay and pearl cohn out of state tourny. Jolly and walker played for tech. Austin played for trevecca i believe and gribble played for carson newman and went overseas and played pro ball. 

23 minutes ago, Nontypical said:

White co won state championship in 1997 and 1998. Almost unbeatable. Jolly 6’6 gribble 6’5 walker 6’7 austin 6’8.  Will never be another team like them. They put slay and pearl cohn out of state tourny. Jolly and walker played for tech. Austin played for trevecca i believe and gribble played for carson newman and went overseas and played pro ball. 

I played against these guys as well. We scrimmaged them before one our state tournament appearances at tech. They were the real deal as well.

• Like 1

2019-2020 Knoxville Catholic Fighting Irish

Head Coach Mike Hutchens

Record 25-4

Best Players: B.J. Edwards and Akeem Odusipe

The 2020 team lost to nationally ranked IMG and Gonzaga College Prep out of Washington DC in their own Christmas Tournament.  Beat Kennedy Chandler and Briarcrest (the 2019 state champions) 50-47  in the state championship game. All 5 of Knoxville Catholic's starters signed with DI schools: guard BJ Edwards (6'3), 4 star recruit, signed with Tennessee (now at SMU); post Akeem Odusipe (6'9), 3 star recruit, signed with Vanderbilt (transferred to Kent State, now at Tusculum College), center Handje Tamba (6'11) 3 star recruit signed with Tennessee (now at Weber State); guard Blue Cain (6'4) 4 star recruit now at Georgia and guard Presley Patterson (5'11) walk on at Auburn. Other notable Irish squads were the 2016-17 Knoxville Catholic team, finished the season 31-2, TSSAA Class AA state runner-up, team was led by Belmont guard Luke Smith and ETSU post Brock Jancek, they had a 28 game winning streak, lost to Maplewood 60-57 in the championship game. This team averaged 76 ppg and gave up 44 ppg. The 2021-22 Fighting Irish team was 28-4, nationally ranked as high as 17th.  Led by BJ Edwards and Blue Cain. Team lost to undefeated Christian Brothers in the title game, 79-72 (defeated unbeaten Brentwood Academy in the state semi-finals). Edwards played with a broken foot in the state tournament which he injured in the MUS game, in the state quarter finals. 3 of their 4 losses were to Memphis teams CBHS, Memphis East, Bartlett, and national power IMG.

Edited by QSouth89