No Privates in 1A Girls State Tournament

There might have been at least one private school at this years girls state, but it just happens that USJ is in the same alignment with the other top 3 teams in the state-Trenton, Huntingdon, and Gleason. Class A basketball in West TN is tough. Gleason and USJ both could probably have beaten any of the other first round teams in Class A state. As for hard-work--girls work just as hard as guys and sometimes harder because many of them often don't have the natural abilities that many talented HS male athletes have. Girls work very hard-and at USJ we want to see our girls teams excell just as much as our boys teams. But they excell with hard work, not extra advantages just because we are a private school.

All that "concrete" we have at USJ certainly does not make our girls better- it's their desire to practice and work hard. :(

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just wonder where all the private school "advantages" are in girls' basketball?

What your starting to do here with your post is look at the "exception" rather than the "rule". I guess what your implying is because THIS year there are no private schools in the GIRLS state tournament, then there is no advantage to the private schools versus the public ones. Thats a crock and anyone that has half a brain knows this. What about all the boys basketball teams? Football? and just about any other sport you would like to mention. The private schools have swim teams, diving teams, swimming pools, heck i seen the new weight room at one of the private schools over the weekend and it looks like an NFL weight room. All 1A Private schools should and will be moving out of 1A, there is no way a team from Hermitage Springs should be playing against Ezell-Harding. Thats crazy. So lets not look at the exception but rather the rule from now on shall we! :(

The 1A private schools in Chattanooga do not have swimming or diving and if they do they rent a pool or find a rec center they can practice in. There weight rooms are nothing compared to public schools in Chattanooga. 1A privates in Chattanooga are not moving to DII. They cannot afford it.

Edited by mtnman

What your starting to do here with your post is look at the "exception" rather than the "rule". I guess what your implying is because THIS year there are no private schools in the GIRLS state tournament, then there is no advantage to the private schools versus the public ones. Thats a crock and anyone that has half a brain knows this. What about all the boys basketball teams? Football? and just about any other sport you would like to mention. The private schools have swim teams, diving teams, swimming pools, heck i seen the new weight room at one of the private schools over the weekend and it looks like an NFL weight room. All 1A Private schools should and will be moving out of 1A, there is no way a team from Hermitage Springs should be playing against Ezell-Harding. Thats crazy. So lets not look at the exception but rather the rule from now on shall we! :ph34r:

THis is silly. No divI private has swimming and diving. Most have poor to adequate weight facilities. People who post like this are obviously uninformed and trying to sound like they know what they are talking about.

If you want to look at the rule maybe you should take the log out of your eye first.

THis is silly. No divI private has swimming and diving.

Actually, that's not true--the following ones do:

CAK, Donelson Christian, Christ Presbyterian, Chattanooga Christian, USJ. (Actually, I can't say for certain that those schools have teams, only that they have swimmers who scored points in the state meet--curiously, only boys in all five cases.)

Actually, that's not true--the following ones do:

CAK, Donelson Christian, Christ Presbyterian, Chattanooga Christian, USJ. (Actually, I can't say for certain that those schools have teams, only that they have swimmers who scored points in the state meet--curiously, only boys in all five cases.)

Anyone can enter the State Meet from any highschool...regardless of whether that school has a team. For instance my sister won state 2 years in a row in women's 1m diving for Boyd in the 80's. But Boyd has never had women's diving...she just wanted to enter so the AD filled out a form and sent it in. I would guess that that is what happened in the case of these schools.

Could be wrong. Have been in the past but would be surprised here. Anyone from these schools on and want to clarify?

It seems like no one really has an answer to why privates are not dominating girls basketball. I gurantee you that if it was all privates in the state tournament then public schools would be whining to the TSSAA. I have not heard anything about any private schools complaining cause their girls basketball team didn't make it to state this year. Privates have never dominated girls basketball or other girls sports like volleyball. In fact privates don't really seem to dominate any girls sports, except tennis. Now I know that some of you will say that privates dominate softball but really it was only Ezell that dominated softball. Yes schools like Boyd and Goodpasture have had good teams but so have schools like Lookout Valley, Whitwell, Forrest.

I have never understood why no privates complain when a school like Bradley Central dominates wrestling but it is suddenly a big problem with publics if Ezell Harding is dominating softball...if Ezell happened to be public then they would just be praised by publics as having a good program but since they are private they must recruit and they are seen as practically evil. From any viewpoint that just seems hypocritical.