GIBSON COUNTY COACH?

puckett10

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just answering someones question on here about what GCs gurls basketball program was like. well they have always had an excellent gurls team from what i can remember . from coach bailey in the early ninetys through coach edddings and up to coach russell. coach eddings is now at Bethel in McKenzie and who knows where coach bailey is. but we know where coach russell is. AT GC. he has taken some gurls that i thought wouldnt see a minute on tha court to starting there senior year. hes is a great coach and just because he doesnt get up and hoop n hollar like some coaches doenst mean JACK. he has some the most intense practices i have ever seen and if the football program at gc ever got a coach like him that could turn some non atheletic players into some great ones they would be good to but until then, GC will be a gurls basketball school, and maybe 1 day we will get a gold ball to brag about.

just answering someones question on here about what GCs gurls basketball program was like. well they have always had an excellent gurls team from what i can remember . from coach bailey in the early ninetys through coach edddings and up to coach russell. coach eddings is now at Bethel in McKenzie and who knows where coach bailey is. but we know where coach russell is. AT GC. he has taken some gurls that i thought wouldnt see a minute on tha court to starting there senior year. hes is a great coach and just because he doesnt get up and hoop n hollar like some coaches doenst mean JACK. he has some the most intense practices i have ever seen and if the football program at gc ever got a coach like him that could turn some non atheletic players into some great ones they would be good to but until then, GC will be a gurls basketball school, and maybe 1 day we will get a gold ball to brag about.

I couldn't agree more! I think GC girls basketball teams have always been good and could even be better if some players that I have seen at the JR High level continued to play at the high school level. I wonder why some who were good in Jr high do not play in high school? I have noticed this in other sports as well.

BBobserver...Part of the problem is that kids from Medina sometimes choose not to go to GC because of the distance. Although I think thats a lame excuse myself, because GC provides a afternoon bus that will take the kids back to Medina after practice. Some choose to go to surrounding schools or to some private schools in Jackson. This especially happens in football. The medina Jr. High football team has been one of the best in the area for several years. For what ever reason (the loosing record at the high school maybe) may play a part in that.

I know we loose quite a few to Milan which is 7 miles down the road. I have watched a lot of Medina football athletes go to Milan because of the winning tradition and it is closer. They have gone over there and contributed too.

Girls basketball is a little different. We loose some probably because they are not dedicated enough to play high school under a great teacher like Russell, maybe. Most of the surrounding schools girls players will go out for the team @ GC.

I'm not saying that Medina has the only students that make up GC student body, but they can make up the majority because the middle school in Medina is the largest in terms of enrollment than the others. The way its growing in that area, they will have their own high school soon. Can't speak for other schools, but I know this is fact @ GC.

BBobserver...Part of the problem is that kids from Medina sometimes choose not to go to GC because of the distance. Although I think thats a lame excuse myself, because GC provides a afternoon bus that will take the kids back to Medina after practice. Some choose to go to surrounding schools or to some private schools in Jackson. This especially happens in football. The medina Jr. High football team has been one of the best in the area for several years. For what ever reason (the loosing record at the high school maybe) may play a part in that.

I know we loose quite a few to Milan which is 7 miles down the road. I have watched a lot of Medina football athletes go to Milan because of the winning tradition and it is closer. They have gone over there and contributed too.

Girls basketball is a little different. We loose some probably because they are not dedicated enough to play high school under a great teacher like Russell, maybe. Most of the surrounding schools girls players will go out for the team @ GC.

I'm not saying that Medina has the only students that make up GC student body, but they can make up the majority because the middle school in Medina is the largest in terms of enrollment than the others. The way its growing in that area, they will have their own high school soon. Can't speak for other schools, but I know this is fact @ GC.

Since you brought up football, do you think there will be any improvement in GC football in the future due to combining some of the JR high football teams? I am just curious.

The High school coach and all of the Jr. high coaches have to get on the same page as far as it relates to offensive sets and defensive allignments and what the High school coach wants to run.. By this I mean if the jr.high kids adapt to the style they'll see in high school then they want have to be taught the philosophy of what's going on at the high school level.. ;)

Actually Steve Patterson got the girls program rolling at GC and was followed briefly by Mike Henson. Both of them have gone on to successful stints elsewhere including last years Class A semifinal between Trenton Peabody & Huntingdon. Patterson moved on to begin the program at Madison Academic Magnet in Jackson and Henson returned to the state semis this year at Huntingdon.

Good post and good point NWHoopaholic, the things that impresses you the most about this GC girls program is that the the school itself has only existed a little more than 20 years.. And to have the success it's had in that little of time is a reflection on all the coaches that have been there, Patterson, Henson, Bailey, Eddings on up to David Russell.. I know I may be forgetting some along the way but everyone had a hand it in and hats off to the Lady Pioneer program.. ;)

BBobserver...Part of the problem is that kids from Medina sometimes choose not to go to GC because of the distance.  Although I think thats a lame excuse myself, because GC provides a afternoon bus that will take the kids back to Medina after practice.  Some choose to go to surrounding schools or to some private schools in Jackson.  This especially happens in football.  The medina Jr. High football team has been one of the best in the area for several years.  For what ever reason (the loosing record at the high school maybe) may play a part in that. 

I know we loose quite a few to Milan which is 7 miles down the road. I have watched a lot of Medina football athletes go to Milan because of the winning tradition and it is closer.  They have gone over there and contributed too.

Girls basketball is a little different.  We loose some probably because they are not dedicated enough to play high school under a great teacher like Russell, maybe. Most of the surrounding schools girls players will go out for the team @ GC.

I'm not saying that Medina has the only students that make up GC student body, but they can make up the majority because the middle school in Medina is the largest in terms of enrollment than the others.  The way its growing in that area, they will have their own high school soon.  Can't speak for other schools, but I know this is fact @ GC.

Since you brought up football, do you think there will be any improvement in GC football in the future due to combining some of the JR high football teams? I am just curious.

Lets hope so. I think it will if the athletes who plan on playing football in high school go to GC. We have Peabody that may get some of the players from that end of the county. If they could only get a few wins it would be huge for the program. They will, its just going to take time.

If you have ever attended a team camp with Gibson Co. or with Bradford when Russell was there, you would understand that those girls learn what they are supposed to do during summer games and in practice! They run more when they are not in the game than they do on the court. He is very good at DEVELOPING individual players and the total team-concept.