Is Jamont Gordon overrated?

juicyt

There is no doubt that Reginald Delk is the top junior in the state. Jamont just cant match up to him.

As an unbiased observer, the only thing Reginald Delk does better than Jamont is maybe his outside shot. I say maybe because I do not know how much Jamonts hand was bothering him. Not to mention Glencliff played absolutely no defense. Jamont is still the best player now and has more potential than Reginald. This is not to take anything away from Reginald, because he also is a great player with a great future ahead of him. Lets just say he is definitley the #2 junior in the state, behind Jamont.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JAMONT TEAM DID NOT SHOW UP AT ALL LAST NIGHT...HIS SUPPORT THAT HELPED HIM WIN LAST WEEK LOOKED AFRAID....JAMONT TRIED 2 HARD LAST NIGHT ..BUT THOSE DELK BROTHERS REALLY PUT THEMSELVES ON THE STATE I HAD HEARD SO MUCH AND I WAS IMPRESSED....I THOUGHT IN WARM UPS THOSE GUYS ARE SKINNY BUT THEY REPRESENTED THEIR FAMILY WELL LAST NIGHT....SORRY JAMONT....MUCH SUCCESS NEXT YEAR .....YOUR TEAM AND COACH GOT OUTPLAYED

Jamont needs to improve many facets of his game. Continual improvement is paramount to succeed at the level that he be at after next season. There are many 6'4" guys around who can play!

The things I see that he needs to work on the most are; 1) Work Ethic 2) Attitude. There are many things that I could say about these two points but I will leave it at that.

Jamont went 1/11 from the free throw line? Maybe he should end up at DePaul, they had a player go 0/10 last night from the FT line in the NCAA tournament and they won anyway.

A final question for someone in the know; Is Jamont too old to play in TSSAA next year anyway because he will be 19 in July? If so, Oak Hill or a comparable prep school is his only option.

I am sure that Mr. Gordon is a fine player. The station that I was listening to was very complementary of his abilities. However, when you are part of a TEAM and you are down by 20 plus points, there is absolutely no reason to bank the ball off the backboard and then try to dunk it. By the way, he missed that "look at me" shot. I will stand by my statement earlier that "there is no "I" in "TEAM"!

Glencliff was defeated by a TEAM effort last night. If you still doubt what I suggest, I have one other word for you that is the bottom line in the whole deal, SCOREBOARD!

Yes JNS had the better overall team but...the real bottom line is Jamont Gordon has offers and has received attention from very good programs represented by coaches that know a little more about talent than most people on this board, so he has a very bright future ahead of him if he continue to work hard and polish the rough edges that all high school athletes have. The funny thing about the game last night is Jamont played bad but you could still see the talent. Not many high school kids can have a bad game and still impress many.

I was impressed with the Delks they are both great players, however Gordon is better thats the bottom line. There is a reason that Gordon is the 9th best jr in the nation and the Delks are NOT in the top 75. Thats not to take any thing away from the Delks. I would love to see JNS play White Station in the Championship. I understand why someone who saw Gordon play for the first time last night would think that he is overrated, but he is not he just didn't have a great shooting game and he does need to work on his freethrow shooting. I think every great player has had a bad game in there life. So trust me Gordon's better and the Delks are great players also.

Jamont is the top junior in state. Its was easy for JNS to guard Jamont b/c there was nobody else to worry about. Every time he touch the ball 3 people was on him. JSN had he better team but GHS had the best player. Let the twins play Jamont one on one where they dont have any help on defense and watch him demolish them.

yeah but basketball is not about one on one.....it is about a team.....and the delk twins are better team players.....they can actuallly shoot the basketball.....In about 2 years everyone will see who has a better college career.....when jamont gets matched up with greater talent in college he can't just live on his athletic ability....he needs to have some skills......Reginald will be able to strive better because he is able to shoot.....but i hope jamont proves me wrong

bballa2004,

Mr. Gordon's "look at me" dunk attempt was during the 4th quarter, I believe. That was a description of the play that I heard on the radio by the play-by-play announcer. Now tell me something, why would the announcer go into great detail in describing a play that you say did not happen?

Like I said earlier, Mr. Gordon is a talented athlete. But, I listened to two different broadcasts of the game last night and both gave me the impression that Mr. Gordon does not realize that "there is NO 'I' in TEAM"!

You say that he has many colleges taking a look at him. I have no reason to doubt that. Mr. Gordon has more athletic ability than most high school players. When, and if, he goes off and plays in college, he will find that he is no longer the biggest dog in the hunt. He definatley needs to work on the finer points of the game as just pure athleticism will not cut it at the next level!

There's a lot more to being a great player than just a behind the head pass and a monster dunk. Especially when your "team" is trying to win a championship. Passes are great when they lead to an assist for someone on your team. Dunks are worth two points, no more, no less. And take absolutely zero talent to perform. You simply have to be big enough to dunk. The dunk is quickly turning the game of basketball into the vast wasteland of non-skilled, non-fundamental basketball. Just like that played in the NBA. The greatest thing that the NHSAA could do for the game would be to ban the dunk. This would force players to learn true basketball skills.

As for Jamont, after watching him play last night, I would have to say that he is a very athletic player who needs some serious help in the fundamentals and attitude department. 6'4" players are a dime a dozen in college and he'll get a lot of pine time if he signs with a major school still lacking the skills that others will have. Maybe he'll get into the right camps and develop an all around game. Otherwise, he'll be hard pressed to make a significant contribution in college, even at the mid-major level. Let alone D1.

did anyone stay past the 3 minute mark in the 3rd qtr.... b/c if they did let me kno if this off tha backboard dunk happened........ but i stayed and waited for them to take him out and when it appeared the sub was going in for him..... everyone i saw got up and started walking out.... maybe your talken about when he made one of those delks look dumb and drove right past him and duynked in his face..... and i believe if the Glencliff coach ahd any common sense he wouldnt have ran a zone throughout the game.... especially after the delks hit prolly the first 6 3's of the game in a row..... and then i dont kno if any of u there saw this but aftyer Glencliff went on there little run..... cut it down to like 16... they went back to that zone again out of the timeout... didnt even apply pressure... i mean they had all the momentum and the crowd and i think they should have pressuired the ball a little bit more.