13AA/7AA Challenge Series

CoachD33

I give redbirdfan props for the original idea posted but I've given this some thought. These two districts have become, acknowledged by most, the toughest AA districts in the state and the subject of a lot of posts over the past two years about who is better. What better way to address the issue but a challenge series at the beginning of the year.(Maybe over Thanksgiving weekend) Several possible formats but however arranged I think fans from both districts would go nuts over it! Challenges would be based on previous years district record with 1 vs 1, 2 vs 2 etc. Dist. 7 has seven teams so their last place would get left out. Sorry.

For example next year would have:

Livingston Acad. vs Gibson Co. (state tourney rematch)

Jackson Co. vs Westview (state title game year before)

Upperman vs Obion Co.

York Inst. vs Dyer Co.

Cannon Co. vs Crockett Co.

Smith Co. vs Union City

You could play single games at alternating home sites or maybe double or tripleheaders at the larger high school venues. (I'm not familiar with 7AA facilities but Gibson, Dyer, & W'view have large seating capacities)

There's not really a good halfway point geographically to bring everyone together for one weekend. Clarksville and Austin Peay's Dunn Center was the closest I could come up with. One thought was to have a tripleheader in Nashville and one in Jackson with 1's, 3's, & 5's at one place & 2's, 4's, & 6's at the other rotating each year. Lot's of options that could be best worked out by the schools themselves if it came to fruition.

I know there are a lot of movers/shakers that post on this board. If everyone agrees this would be a good thing for HS B'Ball in the state someone put some wheels in motion. Let's hear your input.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey NWhoopaholic , I like the whole concept(since I first tossed this out there) and you've added to it and have put forth an outstanding proposal.. :o What first got me to thinking about this concept was the fact that I had the opportunity to watch the Jackson Co./Westview state title game last year and also witnessed the opening round game this season between Livingston Academy and Gibson County. The atmosphere was outstanding in the Murphy Center and the hype leading up to the game(thanks to this site) was tremendous!! :angry: Even when the game got out of hand and the Livingston fans were chanting overated to the #1 ranked Lady Pioneers and the following posts suggesting that GC's competition wasn't as tough as the 7AA teams led me to conclude what better way to settle things by just letting the teams from the prospective districts play each other.. It also could solve a problem by saying to 7AA hey you don't think 13AA district is all that tough, hey let's tip it off and see what happens.. :lol: Who knows, it may be a measuring stick for some clubs who'll have to see what needs to be done in practice should the teams meet again in the Boro.. I do agree this would have to done sometime around the late November/Thanksgiving holiday time frame because some schools already have commitments during the Christmas holidays.. Coaches McMillen, Hoffman, Russell, Chandler, Larue and company would probably like the idea because I know all of these coaches want the tough competition to make their teams better in the long run.. :D Kudos to the idea, maybe we'll get part of the gate. B)

Little brotha told me about that at the Murphy center the other day.. I hope you're feeling better.. :D We had a banquet the other night and you know who complained about the food.. :angry: No suprise!!! I hope you can still hit those high notes when you sing.. :lol:

I'm a bass anyway, although gall bladder removal shouldn't affect my vocal range.

I'd like to watch it so that the people out in Gibson would get shut up again but I see now that will never happen. You guys got the brakes beat off of ya'll just a week ago now ya'll are getting on here talking about some kind of region meet. Don't get me wrong though, no one would want this more than me so maybe ya'll would get beat down and maybe ya'll will hush for more than a week now about how good you all are. But I do see that that isn't gonna happen. You guys out there have never beat anyone over in 7aa so what makes you think that you are going to now? Really your best team out there couldn't have been on the top 4 over in 7aa but you guys just really must be gluttons for punishment so I say lets get em ready for tipoff. But tell me outside of your own region what have you all done to be considered the 2nd best district in the state? You have Meigs Co. and either North or South Greene (still can't remember which) that are sitting up there with several state championships and now you have Walker Valley and McMinn Central that are really super tough now. Both of those teams were better than Gibson and I watched the Seymour and Loretto game and either one of those teams would have beaten Gibson too along with Oliver Springs so don't tell me all this crap about how good you all are out there. Prove it when it matters, in 11 months and 3 weeks from now. But I do like the concept of the challenge thing, just don't like everyone having to drive all that way just to watch a beat down.

so tennisguy, explain how obion 13aa 4th place beat o. springs soundly in a reg season game if OS is supposed to be better than GC

LA and MC were the only teams at state better than GC

as to the sane members of coacht:

how bout doing this during hall of fame week, that way the reg season schedules wouldnt be disrupted nor would we have to watch boys games :angry:

I'd like to watch it so that the people out in Gibson would get shut up again but I see now that will never happen. You guys got the brakes beat off of ya'll just a week ago now ya'll are getting on here talking about some kind of region meet. Don't get me wrong though, no one would want this more than me so maybe ya'll would get beat down and maybe ya'll will hush for more than a week now about how good you all are. But I do see that that isn't gonna happen. You guys out there have never beat anyone over in 7aa so what makes you think that you are going to now? Really your best team out there couldn't have been on the top 4 over in 7aa but you guys just really must be gluttons for punishment so I say lets get em ready for tipoff. But tell me outside of your own region what have you all done to be considered the 2nd best district in the state? You have Meigs Co. and either North or South Greene (still can't remember which) that are sitting up there with several state championships and now you have Walker Valley and McMinn Central that are really super tough now. Both of those teams were better than Gibson and I watched the Seymour and Loretto game and either one of those teams would have beaten Gibson too along with Oliver Springs so don't tell me all this crap about how good you all are out there. Prove it when it matters, in 11 months and 3 weeks from now. But I do like the concept of the challenge thing, just don't like everyone having to drive all that way just to watch a beat down.

TennisGuy, you're missing the entire point.. From my standpoint this is not someone bitter wanting a rematch or something in this so called we vs. you match.

The last time I checked, I don't play for any of these teams.. I'm just merely a sports person that covers local high school sports and thought I'd toss the idea out there.. No matter where they played or what time in the season, I think it'll be great basketball :P I could care less who won the games, I merely suggested it would be great atmosphere to see these teams get together.. Nothing more, nothing less <_<