There should be 5 Classifications

Wululu

The travel distance with 4 or 5 classes would not be a factor. To divide the teams up equally, take how many teams there are in the TSSAA and put an equal amount in each class or as close as possible. Football has 50 something less competing schools in the state than basketball and has 2 more classes, go figure. I do not think travel is a factor there.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All of you wanting more classes need to take a look at athletic budgets. Since moving to 5 classes in football, gates have dropped considerably while bball gates have remained the same. The reason? Travel. Only the diehards will travel over an hour and a half to watch high school regular season games. By keeping the local rivalries, you insure yourself of large crowds. In football at Jeff. Co., the biggest gates are against non region foes like Morr. West and Cocke Co. Why? Traditional, local rivals.

Someone earlier that the same teams go to state year after year. Sure, White Station and BC were there again, because they deserve to be there. I don't know all of the teams what were in it last year, but Clinton made it for the first time since '98. We have around 1150 students. If I'm not mistaken, Jackson North Side made it for the first time ever. They have 167 more than us. Wilson Central has 1167, Rhea County has 1254. Glencliff and DB is in the middle with over 1500. Sure, BC has 2300 and WS has 1910, but they have good programs and are annualy powerful. I think it's possible for small schools to win...look at Grace. 181 students beat out the "powerful" CPA of 269 before losing to Unaka (343). I don't think you should punish a school for having a larger enrollment. But I also don't like the thought of a one classification system. I like it at 3.

The more classifications the better. It doesn't take anything away from a White Station or a Bradley Central for other schools to experience the thrill of a state tournament. It's for the kids. Football implementing 5 classes a few years back added to the excitement and allowed an even playing field for many schools, not just the smaller ones.

The fact that a small school in KY won the state in 1996 is totally irrelevant. It is an anomaly and certainly cannot be used as an argument against going to 5 classes.

The only people that can possibly dispute this reasoning are the people that are living in the larger metropolitan areas blessed with talented kids. Every kid should be able to have a fair, even opportunity to be successful. Playing against schools with approximate size is not too much to ask.

Guest thestuff

I think it is simple. If there are going to be 5 classes in football, lets make 5 classes in basketball. That way the same schools would compete in all sports and be in the same district.

I think it is simple. If there are going to be 5 classes in football, lets make 5 classes in basketball. That way the same schools would compete in all sports and be in the same district.

Why stop there?? Let's just go ahead and make 7 or 8 classifications!! :D

With each increase in classification, each school has more of a chance to win something... Where, Oh Where will it stop?? :lol:

Why stop there??  Let's just go ahead and make 7 or 8 classifications!! :P

With each increase in classification, each school has more of a chance to win something... Where, Oh Where will it stop?? B)

I'm glad you see it my way, redbirdfan. No, not really. I certainly recognize sarcasm when I see it. I would, however, rather see more classes than less. It is all for the kids......., not the parents or the fans. It is to build self-esteem and a self worth in kids. The more chances to experience success, the better.

To carry your reasoning a little further, why not 2 classes, or even 1. Yeah, that is certainly fair.