RED CARD

sportdude

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

actually there is a situation when a team is allowed to play with 11 players after a red...only if it is a "double yellow" / "red" which then the team is allowed to replace the player with a sub and the player is allowed to play again on the next game but not the remainder of the game that he received the double yellow / red.

The player that recieved the two yellows and the severity of the fouls is usually discussed among the athletic director of the school, the school administrators, and a member of tssaa. The player is usually allowed to play the next game. I remember that from a situation a couple years ago. I'm not sure, they may have changed things YET AGAIN!

Edited by dback33

i totally agree with you Kendren. I'm a referee for tssaa and a ussf referee and i feel that the soft red card rule is very silly. This rule is not present in other soccer countries and i feel that hurts the maturity of growing players. They will feel that they can get away with things and not get punished for them. As for the rule, when a player recieves a double yellow or "soft red" card they sit out the rest of that game but the team still playes with 11 players. That player is not suspended for any ammount of time and is eligible for the next game. As for a straight red card, the player is sent off and the team plays with 10 men. The player must meet with the athletic director of the school and serves at the least a one game suspension pending the meeting with the athletic director.

In one of our recent games one of our players recieved a red card. We thought it was a soft red because he had already got a yellow in the game. The ref allowed us to sub for him so we continued to play with 11. But somehow he still had to meet the athletic director and has been suspended for 3 games. So i wonder if it was a mistake by the ref in allowing us to play with 11 and he meant for it to be a straight red.

Here's the basic unfairness to the red card rule as applied by TSSAA: The acts of unsporting behavior by a soccer player that would bring about a caution would never be noticed on a football field. I have seen players throw a couple of punches and merely be sent back to the huddle. No basketball player that collected five fouls has ever been suspended from the next game as a result.

Still having said that, I think the refs don't throw enough yellows! They almost always wait until after control has been lost and are trying to get it back. Those of you who play division 1 club ball know what a good ref looks like. he handles problems early and quickly, often with no more than a smile and a comment explaining the acts that will not be tolerated. Refs don't want to send a kid to a school disciplinary hearing for something that should merely be a teachable moment, so they hold the cards until something egregious happens. Then it's too late.

We need to work on this and come up with something that looks like a reasonable solution.

I may be wrong, but I understand the "soft" red card was incorporated by TSSAA to offset less experienced high school refs who have difficulty distinguishing between true cardable offenses and "teachable moments", which can usually be handled with a few well chosen comments and without a card. I do agree that many cardable offenses in soccer are completely ignored in other sports. Do players really not curse in football or basketball? It can and does get you tossed in soccer. I've never seen it result in an ejection in any other sport.

Well soccer is a sport of class and is not a sport full of thugs, drug addict, and domastic abusers. Soccer should be held to a higher standard than the sports that contain these types of atheletes. The only big tarnishes on the game of soccer that i know of has been is drug issue with diego maradonna and the issue of rio ferdinand missing a drug test in england this past year.

As for the how the soft red card rule was came to be, I totally agree that the majority of the referees in the state of Tn are very unfamiliar with how the game of soccer should be officiated. I've played club ball since i was 8 and have had many horribly officaiated games. This is a problem but many of the assigners are taking the neccessary steps to resolve this problem by bringing in assesors and improving the quality of the officiating.