Best catcher in the State

Sidetrain

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't participated in any of these "best of" position threads, but like readng them. Being a former HS catcher, I just can't stand not giving my informed opinion on this.

Ginny "Gunner" Swearengen of the Cumberland Co. Lady Jets (soon to be UT-Martin) is the best defensive catcher currently playing for any HS team in Tennessee. She is by far better than any catcher I have seen at any tournament or at any high school game, and has been the best since last year. She makes the Lady Jets pitchers look great. Coaches defense, calls a great pitching game, rock soild frame jobs, and got the hops. She can have bad days, but I'll take her even on her bad days.

And this year she's got some pop in the bat as well.

None, nada, nary, as in zero stolen bases on her since last year when she gave up 2. (just for you YWNK :D ) Frozen ropes to all bases. She is the best HS catcher I have ever seen play HS ball, and we play the best the state has to offer.

All of the catchers listed on here are good. But the thread said best. That would be Gunner. (Hope she doesn't read this!)

Edited by deadeye

Elisha Collins at Rutledge has to be condsidered among the best in the state. She's been moved from cleanup to leadoff so her RBI's are down, but she's got six dingers officially and could have more if RHS had a regulation softball fence. We play both diamond sports on the baseball field.

Edited by KevB1990

My girl SuSaN DaViS has got to be one of the best catchers yall are gunna play.. but im not guna be a coppy cat and say our game is a "pitcher-catcher" game , cause some ppl got that thrown in their face..susan and all the picthers have a strong defense and offense behinde them!

Lauren Manna from Hume Fogg Academic has so many qualities that are embedded in a great catcher. She is patient at the plate, a good leader on and off the field, very strong arm, and an awesome bat. I played with her when I was at Hume Fogg and believe me, she is one awesome catcher. We are all proud of her for her signing with UT-Martin this year. Congrats Lauren! Can't wait to watch you play even more!

Ally #17

HFA Alumni

Edited by WKUSoftball