Mid. TN Busts

TheyTookOurJobs

brentwood, bga, hendersonville, FRA and many other highly rated middle region teams are all gone before the finals. what happened? bga and brentwood were supposed to win it all according to many, and FRA had no competition in AA/A up til now. good luck to USN, i think they'll surprise some people, MUS cannot overlook them. i don't know how USN made it this far, but i'd like to see atleast one middle team win.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe these so called great teams lost because they thought all they had to do was put their talent on the field and they would win. That is not the case. These underdog teams that won probably were better mentally prepared. What makes it worse is that after some of these teams lose they want to blame everything else but themselves. They call the other team lucky, or its the refs, or the other team got a lead and just packed the box. Well lucky or not, they executed and you didnt. Look at Farragut. They have destroyed the 2 teams they have played so far in state. Everyone is picking them to win it all, but they know that the trophy will not just be handed to them. They do not take any opponent lightly.

If you think that ANY team in a state level tournament takes another team lightly, then you really don't know much about soccer. They didn't get there by being mentally unprepared and I don't think they just suddenly loose their mental edge once they reach Memphis. I'll go with you on complaining about refs or the other team being lucky as being weak excuses, but it is WELL known that packing the box is a very chicken ____ way of playing and teams that do it are not respected at all. You hardly ever see it done in the Pro or World Cup level and the true power house teams NEVER do it. You do see it a lot in high school soccer though. It's lame. Only weak teams employ the tactic.

Edited by bhs007

If it works, dont' fix it.

Can you back up your opinion with anything other than a cliche'?

I would think most of the players on here would prefer to play a style that is honorable, like playing straight up!

Edited by bhs007

Sorry BHS, but freekick's point is a valid one. Teams might not be mentally prepared for some games, but win them on talent alone. However, when you get to Memphis all the teams are good and so the mental part of the game becomes more important. Maybe, Brentwood and some others were not mentally there. I, however, do not think you can necesarily say that was the problem. Might have just been unlucky bounces, i.e. Brentwood v. Oak Ridge. Might be the lack of mental preparation, but not necesarily could just be the way the ball bounced.