New Regions--DI Class 1A

silverpie

First, the ground rules. As when I did this last time, these should be viewed as suggestions of a reasonable way to set the regions, not as predictions of what will come out of 3333 Lebanon Road.

Second, there are some close situations with respect to the enrollment cutoffs. The version I'm working with has 294 schools, arranged 58 in 5A and 59 in each of the others. In addition to the possibilities of schools going Division II (I have assumed only Webb of Bell Buckle and Ensworth to do so, plus those already there), there are three schools that may or may not count. Specifically, I don't know whether they count the School for the Deaf; also, Lighthouse and David Brainerd may fall under the rule of 100 (a school smaller than 100 is transparent in setting cutoffs for its first classification cycle). Remember, this is a new Lighthouse, in Millington, not the one that fell apart near Nashville.

Also, I do not assume that any schools move up.

Anyway, on to the lists! Check out the mothership for the enrollments. In my reckoning, the smallest 1A school is Cosby.

Region 1: Cosby, Cloudland, Greenback, Hampton, Jellico, Midway, (TSD), Unaka

Region 2N: Coalfield, Harriman, Oakdale, Oneida, Sunbright

Region 2S: Copper Basin, David Brainerd, Lookout Valley, South Pittsburg, Whitwell

Region 3: Clay County, Gordonsville, Monterey, Pickett County, Red Boiling Springs, Trousdale County, White House-Heritage

Region 4: Clarksville Academy, Friendship Christian, Jo Byrns, McEwen, Mt. Juliet Christian, Nashville Christian, Watertown

Region 5: Cascade, Columbia Academy, Cornersville, Eagleville, Forrest, Huntland, Moore County, Mount Pleasant, Zion Christian

Region 6: Halls, Hollow Rock-Bruceton, McKenzie, Perry County, Union City, West Carroll

Region 7: Collinwood, Fayette Academy, Jackson Christian, Middleton, Trinity Christian, Wayne County

Region 8: Gleason, Greenfield, Lake County, Lighthouse Christian, Manassas, South Fulton

As much as I hate to see the Duck River Valley broken up, there seems no alternative--ZCA makes it 11 schools. If there's a move-up in the west (and Manassas is a good chance to do so), or if one or both of the Jackson privates go D2, then you can spread the DRVC across 5 and 6, collapsing the West to two regions. An alternative would be to keep ten of the 11 together but toss Eagleville into region 4. (This works especially well if Trousdale moves up--that allows space for Watertown and/or Friendship in region 3.)

I'm not really clear on how to draw the boundary between 1 and 2-North, but the 2-South group is easy.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's doubtful that the TSSAA would put Midway in Region 1A where every opponent except Greenback is two hours away or more considering Midway can get to Harriman, Oakdale, Coalfield and Sunbright in under one hour. Heck Oneida is less than 90 minutes away. I think Oneida or Greenback could be sent that way.

I also don't think they'd put all the upper east teams, knox area teams and chattanooga teams into two regions. Heck first round playoff matchups could have teams from Chattanooga and upper East Tennessee driving 225-250 miles to play each other. That's ok for the semifinals but not for early round games.

I think TSSAA will make your west regions larger considering you have 25 teams in regions 1-3 and only 18 in regions 6-8. Also considering the drive from the Jackson area to Memphis is far less than the Chattanooga area to Bristol.

That's only half as helpful as you'd think. Given that lighthouse is indeed d-2, then Peabody gets pulled back down into 1A.

If so Peabody slides into Region 8. Here's how I've got it.

Region 7-JCS, Fayette Academy, Bruceton, Middleton, McKenzie, West Carroll, TCA

Region 8-Greenfield, Gleason, So. Fulton, Lake Co., Halls, Union City, & maybe Peabody

Perry County could stay in 7 or move to 6 where they probably should be.

TSSAA WILL NOT PUT Greenback AND Midway TRAVELLING TO GREEN AND Carter COUNTY IN REGION 1. HOWEVER RUMOR IS AROUND HERE THAT Oneida MIGHT REQUEST TO BE PLACED IN REGION 1. MAKES SENSE DUE TO THEM BEING GEOGRAPHICALLY TO Jellico AND I-75. YOU MIGHT CONSIDER REGION 1 AS Cosby, Jellico, Unaka, Cloudland, Hampton, AND Oneida.

IF THE MULTIPLIER CAUSES A LARGE ENOUGH SHIFT TO 2-A FOR NASHVILLE AREA PRIVATES WHO STAY IN DIV. I RATHER THAN GO TO DIV.II, 1-A COULD POSSIBLY GO ALL THE WAY UP TO INCLUDE Alcoa AT 411.

I may be wrong on this, but I do not believe that Hampton should be in 1a. They had enough for 2a last year. They graduated around 75 seniors I believe. But, I was told that they have approx 125 9th graders to be coming up and close to as many in the class behind them. Could be wrong, but I have heard that from a couple of people.

TSSAA WILL NOT PUT Greenback AND Midway TRAVELLING TO GREEN AND Carter COUNTY IN REGION 1. HOWEVER RUMOR IS AROUND HERE THAT Oneida MIGHT REQUEST TO BE PLACED IN REGION 1. MAKES SENSE DUE TO THEM BEING GEOGRAPHICALLY TO Jellico AND I-75. YOU MIGHT CONSIDER REGION 1 AS Cosby, Jellico, Unaka, Cloudland, Hampton, AND Oneida.

IF THE MULTIPLIER CAUSES A LARGE ENOUGH SHIFT TO 2-A FOR NASHVILLE AREA PRIVATES WHO STAY IN DIV. I RATHER THAN GO TO DIV.II, 1-A COULD POSSIBLY GO ALL THE WAY UP TO INCLUDE Alcoa AT 411.

Alcoa would be tough in 1-A!

Mathematically Speaking, the following schools are on the bubble for Class 1A

* Fayette Academy 391

Union City High School 391

Hampton High School 393

Cosby High School 395

Peabody High School 399

North Greene High School 407

Alcoa High School 411

Houston Co. High School 412

East Robertson High School 412

Rockwood High School 413

Huntingdon High SchoolB 414

Dresden High School 415

Decatur Co. Riverside High 417

Realistically Speaking There are 13 Private Schools who would be 1A if the classes were made today after the multiplier. The only way that any of these teams larger than Union City gets in 1A is if more of those schools go DII than the larger private school who would now be in 2A and 3A. I don't think that will happen. The larger schools will be more likely to go DII than the smaller schools.

This is how it would possibly be right now with no schools going DII and no schools moving up.

Region I

King's Academy

Cloudland High School

Jellico High School

Unaka High School

*Grace Academy of Knoxville

Oneida High School

Region II

Tennessee School for the Deaf

Oakdale High School

Sunbright High School

Coalfield High School