Best Coach Ever

GCPioneer

Rick Butler when he was at Clarksville Northeast '94 and '95. Northeast had one winning season in school history before he got there. Took them to 8-3 his first year and then 12-1 his last year losing 7-3 on a hail mary to Brentwood Academy. Then went to Oakland where there were 0-10 the year before and took them to a 5-5 season. The following year they won the state championship, granted he wasn't the head coach that year, but he built that program up. Coach Butler is by far the best motivating coach there ever was. He was/is all about his players. He's now a college defensive coordinator so obviously his talent was recognized. All hail to a hero to all that played for him. Got to give up recognition to his assistants as well. Coach Chuck Daniel by far the best position coach a player/coach could ask for. Both are energetic and enthusiastic.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rick turned three different door mat teams into winners. Given that his winnning %'s is just over 60%, pretty good considering 2 of the teams being 0-20 before he arrived. Heck of a coach that goes out on a limb for players. Not many men will take the jump into the fire by taking over losing teams. It takes guts and will. I'd want my son to play for him.

who do u all think is the best high school coach in the past 20 years?

my bet is with coach tucker from milan and humboldt

825293132[/snapback]

Coach Bob Macy just recently retired from Powell HS in Knoxville,TN after about 35 years. Bob Macy was the primary reason for the success of the Powell Football Program and the main reason that Clark Duncan had the winning years that he had while at Powell. The Powell program would not have had the glory years of the '90s without Bob Macy. Clark Duncan grew into the job under the wing of Coach Macy.

As an assistant football coach he seldom got any recognition. Coach Macy had many other job offers but preferred to stay at the school where he began. He was loyal to the school and program. The kids responded to him and he was an example of what a football coach should be.

Coach Gary Kries at Coalfield... he would do anything for those kids and he turned Coalfield into a solid team year in and year out instead of being the region doormat like they were in the 70's back when my folks went there!  thumb

825323788[/snapback]

Coalfield has never been a region doormat. In the 1970's the worst team was in 1977 when they went 5-5. They started the decade off strong with James Bales at QB, Tommy Roberts at RB, and Mike McGhee at FB and others. Then Mack Meridith at QB, Jake Jackson at QB with an All State reciever (the first of several) in Pal Jarnigan. Then a down cycle for about two years, and they have been up ever since. Made the playoffs for the first time in 1979 and I beleive that was Kries' first year as an assistant under Lowe. It was also the first year for a "playoff" as we know it now I beleive.

But your point is correct, Kries brings class, respect, and an overall good feeling about Coalfield Football. His record is astonishingly good at about .750 or better.

Coalfield has never been a region doormat. In the 1970's the worst team was in 1977 when they went 5-5. They started the decade off strong with James Bales at QB, Tommy Roberts at RB, and Mike McGhee at FB and others. Then Mack Meridith at QB, Jake Jackson at QB with an All State reciever (the first of several) in Pal Jarnigan. Then a down cycle for about two years, and they have been up ever since. Made the playoffs for the first time in 1979 and I beleive that was Kries' first year as an assistant under Lowe. It was also the first year for a "playoff" as we know it now I beleive.

But your point is correct, Kries brings class, respect, and an overall good feeling about Coalfield Football. His record is astonishingly good at about .750 or better.

825323923[/snapback]

I'm related to Tommy Roberts, actually. I just remembered that! By the way, hope you have a better week this week in Langley's Losers!