Riverdale spanks Brentwood

hs sports fan

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BHS05 Posted Today, 07:17 PM

At least we werent like BA who backed out of the 3 way scrimmage, we took it like a man, we would like to find out our strengths and weaknesses before the playoffs or regular season starts. Why not test us with the best team in the state. It was a good learning experience.

Kind of like backing out of renewing a regular season series. Oops! wait a

minute, BHS did that to BA.

region4fan Posted Today, 08:03 PM

Let's see Riverdale schedule BA or MBA next year as a non-region game..........then we shall see who really rules, won't we??

I don't believe that you would hear any complaints from MBA or BA

fans (or players). My understanding, and I am more than happy to

stand corrected, is that Rankin is the stumbling block.

I am not sure who told you that BA backed out of a 3 way scrimmage. BA had a scrimmage with Beech that has been set up since last May. So whoever thought it was funny to say that was wrong. I am sure that BA would have rather gotten some good work in with BHS and Riverdale anytime.

Why do you always find a way to bring it back to BA? Can't you guys even stay on complimenting arguably the best team in the state this year, Riverdale.

Good Luck Warriors!

Guest region4fan

Oh yes, I know the same person who has the two headed coin is the "stumbling block." It was amazing how WE were able to schedule BA for OHS's first game for last year when Rankin was complaining the SAME week that no one was open to play in week one but CPA????? Truly amazing, right??

Getting this back on track. In my opinion, Riverdale is the fastest, best HS team I have seen in some time. They quit keeping score at 31-0; but the point had already been made. Bruin defense was on the field more than their fare share. They actually stopped Riverdale (at times) but let in too many 3rd and long conversions. The Warriors are the quickest, fastest, 5-A team-and better than the 94 vintage. Bruins managed probably three to four first downs. They could not move the ball with any consistency at all. It's not like Brentwood is a bunch of JV scrimmage dummies, either. I am telling you, Riverdale is SCARY good-and deep. Biggest concern for Brentwood, at this point, is the injury situation. Rankin and Crawford have too much respect for each other to run the score up on each other-it would serve no purpose since they are friends, not region foes. Bottom line is: Brentwood has to overcome this mauling and heal up. They might have more on the sidelines in street clothes than dressed out against Oakland. Maybe they will meet up in the future, maybe not. But I am telling you this right now-everyone at this point is playing for the silver ball. Hats off to the Warriors-and good luck this season.

Breaking down the scrimmage a little bit.

Riverdales's 1st team scored 3 touchdowns and a field goal in the more traditional scrimmage work. They scored 3 more in the goal line work at the end of the scrimmage.

Riverdale's 2's scored once on a really nice run by Philip Stevenson.

Brentwood did not score on the day but did got down to the one in the goal line work before bobbling the snap on both 3rd and 4th down.

To perhaps partially answer an earlier question; the substittions by Riverdale today were much more game-like in that the team on the field was rarely the same. After the first series, the first team was always a mixture of ones and twos, particularly in the OL where then RG and RT got a lot of mix and match today. Riverdale is still not set on a firm two deep at those positions. The first QB got a lot of the work, three TBs, and four FBs got significant work. The second and third QBs got some good work but rarely tried to throw.

By my count, Brentwood got two first downs on the day.

I'm not sure what the format was for the goal line work. It seemed pretty inconsitent. If I was guessing I would say that you got either 6 or 8 plays or until you were stopped on downs. Really, I couldn't figure it out.

Brentwood's QB went out with what looked like a shoulder injury about half-way through the scrimmage. He is very tall, rangy, and very elusive for such a big guy. I was very impressed with that guy.

Riverdale fumbled the ball away twice and Brentwood threw two interceptions. Neither coach will be very happy with that.

Neither team punted very well. Brentwood was fair, Riverdale was poor on their one punt.

Riverdale's LBs looked very sharp today. This was an area of concern but may end up being a team strength.

It was a really great day for football.

On a side note--IT WAS JUST A SCRIMMAGE!!! Can we save a little bit of the venom for the regular season?

At least we werent like BA who backed out of the 3 way scrimmage, we took it like a man, we would like to find out our strengths and weaknesses before the playoffs or regular season starts. Why not test us with the best team in the state. It was a good learning experience.

825302697[/snapback]

Uh...yeah, right...that's the ticket! :P