Obion Co. Fans

CoachD33

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The part I listened to sounded okay ;) If the main objective was to be informative and give reports and scores from the area schools. Then they did their job. B)

Some Correspondents may be more seasoned than others, but that just comes with experience and logging time in this particular business ;) Just curious as to know if this Miller guy was going to be at OC on Friday??

Well I have talked to a few SF people and lets just say they are not happy with the new format. And I can't blame them this is shear STUPIDITY ;) . Good thing this not an election year or someone might be just be triing to fail at running a radio station like everything else B) I hope the businesses keep pulling their ads!!!! Oh yea I guess the Rebel Bowl won't be boardcast either(another great job thinking about the kids), but hey we will have those "LIVE UPDATES" thumb ........................................I need a puke-bag ;) GOOOOOOOOOOOOOO wait live update.................TEAM!!!!!

Edited by FullcourtPress

This is just what I heard about their reason not to broadcast the games. Rodney Taylor owner of the station hired a consultant, who recomended a new format that did not include coverage of local teams. According to the people who told me this, they lost almost 90% of their listeners when they aired local games. Radio stations are getting bigger and newer towers that extend thier coverage over a larger areas. He knew he would take alot of slack over this decision, but he payed alot of money for the consultant. He is going to try it and see how it works. This is just what I heard. I don't know if it is true or not.l

This is just what I heard about their reason not to broadcast the games.  Rodney Taylor owner of the station hired a consultant, who recomended a new format that did not include coverage of local teams. According to the people who told me this, they lost almost 90% of their listeners when they aired local games. Radio stations are getting bigger and newer towers that extend thier coverage over a larger areas. He knew he would take alot of slack over this decision, but he payed alot of money for the consultant. He is going to try it and see how it works. This is just what I heard. I don't know if it is true or not.l

825310818[/snapback]

I would imagine they lose alot of their listeners on Friday nights because they are at the games or doing the "You have to go out of town to do anything in Obion co."thing...I don't believe the broadcast of the game has much to do with that...But hey hiring an out of town consultant that has no ties to the community(and I'm sure all stations do it)and listening to them on this point is his perogative.Sometimes you have to use common sense.As far as bigger and newer,it looks to me you still would cater to the immediate local area...Sounds to me he wasted alot of money on the consultant...Someone that has been in radio as long as he has should already know about his business and not need a consultant..I just wonder how much more money he will lose before he goes back to the play-by-play format??And don't get me wrong these guys that are doing this update format may not like that they have to do this and not be at the game doing play-by-play,I understand that..So I don't have a beef with them....They are doing what they are told to do by their boss..Like all of us do...I guess they can do it or find something else to do to.So just to make that clear I am not upset with them...I am upset with the station ...

Looks like they have done that if you go by his earlier post(VOREBS).....Whether they go back to play-by-play or not.....BTW..Who is B.J. Wyrick ?? :lol:

825311150[/snapback]

He played for OC a couple years ago.Not the sharpest knife in the drawer.His family owns a fire extinguisher buisness and they became sponsors on the new format.

I believe the main reason was to get rid of Danny Carr.For whatever reason I don't know.But if you cannot find anybody better to replace him with than B.J. Wyrick then you don't even need to try.

825311147[/snapback]

You know the longer this goes on the more I hear this was about getting rid of me. Maybe it was, to be honest I just don't know. I will say this, I would have stepped aside, if it would have allowed these two schools to have kept their coverage. I would not have liked it, because I really enjoyed covering Rebel games. It was a big part of my life. But I would have stepped aside. As for B. J., I covered the games he played in, and I have no problems with him. He was asked to do the updates, and he is. My major problem is still that I would prefer the Rebels, and the Red Devils were covered live, with play-by-play action. As for the growing number of people that have told me that they have contacted the station, and that this seems to end up being blamed on me, all I can say is that was not what I was told when this all started. I can honestly say that I was gearing up for another season, until I was let go. I am trying to stay as professional as I can about all of this, but the more I am told that people are being told this is my fault, the harder it is to stay professional. I can assure everyone that I had NOTHING to do with the format change. So if you hear that, let me know, as I am very interested in this information. You know if they wanted to get rid of me, they could have, without dropping the live play-by-play. As for all the other rumors floating around, and trust me there are plenty, I don't know what to think anymore. All I know is what I have done and said, as for the rest of it, I don't have a comment on it. Also, I do know football season starts Friday night, and I will be at the game supporting "my kids", please do the same, gametime 7:30 at Rebel Field in Troy.

GO REBELS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Side note: sportsradiotn, and nwhoops.....THANKS

:lol: WELL , from what I've heard there is pro and con on each side of this complex situation.. :blink: It'll be interesting to see how this unfolds when hoops season starts up cause I understand the Lady Rebel team has a new coach and all the ingrediants to go up against Westview and Gibson Co. and those clubs for tops in the district thumb So many questions, so many possible scenarios :huh: I'm so excited about checking out the Rebels vs. Rebels matchup at Troy this week.. Mckenzie has a veteran QB and talented tailback in Cook who has rushed for over 3,000 yds. in the last two seasons.. OC's Defense will have their hands full but I think they can keep up with them.. They looked okay vs. Adamsville at the Jamboree last week.. Offense played well.. I think they'll be okay.. Rumors are rumors and will always be rumors and who knows, maybe folks will hear more about the game this Friday than they expect B)

Redbirdfan.....

Are you saying that there is a chance that the games will be done live on a play-by-play basis???

As I am here in Chattanooga during the week,I don't hear much except what is posted on here..

There was mention of a tape delayed broadcast..What is the status of that idea??

It really is a shame we are here on the Tuesday before a Friday night game and not have a definite answer...

As far as basketball goes, we wouldn't have to worry about it if there is something that can be done during football season...But that is a good point as there are some folks that still don't realize football is played at OCCHS....Joking of course :blink: