Westwood quits at halftime.

Galilee

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, recruitguru, you might be talking about a different game. Memphis Westwood was getting hammered by Memphis Fairley and decided to quit at the half. As far as that showing courage on part of the coach, my reply is BULL. Quitting has nothing to do with courage under any circumstance. Quitting is quitting, plain and simple. And, if their coach will quit on them during a game, then they will quit, too, in real life. With all the problems in the Memphis inner-city schools, quitting just adds to them. If they'll quit in football today, it will be the math test tomorrow, the job next year and on and on. I have no use for quitters. The coach should be fired, the principal should be reprimanded, the school's athletic programs should be punished by the TSSAA. And, I still say Memphis can be taken over by Mississippi or just fall into the river. That city is the shame of this state ... not just in high school athletics but in everything .... political, social, educational, athletic, everything. This is the city, you will remember, that paid big money to the TSSAA to host the Spring Fling and then had to ship off the softball state tournaments to Mississippi!!! The largest city in the state can't even host the state's high school softball finals!!! PATHETIC!!!!!!!!! :blink:

I still say Memphis can be taken over by Mississippi or just fall into the river. That city is the shame of this state ... not just in high school athletics but in everything .... political, social, educational, athletic, everything. This is the city, you will remember, that paid big money to the TSSAA to host the Spring Fling and then had to ship off the softball state tournaments to Mississippi!!! The largest city in the state can't even host the state's high school softball finals!!! PATHETIC!!!!!!!!! mad.gif

Wow...your ignorance is astonishing.

Better to get beat 7-0 instead of 42+-0.  :blink:

825309040[/snapback]

This is not about the score. It's about the message being sent. "Hey, guys. You're terrible. I don't want to coach you anymore tonight. Let's just go home." Great leadership there by the Westwood "coach", and I use the term loosely. Why don't they just forfeit the season? Why don't they just play one half every game? Why don't they just save everyone a lot of time and trouble by skipping the formality of showing up at a building designated for school and hit the streets now. Why wait? Just quit a game today, quit the program next week, quit school next month, quit life next year. When you quit that first time, every time after that becomes easier. Sorry to keep harping on this, but commitment means something. And, it should be taken a little more seriously than they seem to be taking it at Westwood.

Wow...your ignorance is astonishing.

825309056[/snapback]

I didn't know Germantown considered itself a part of inner-city Memphis? If I lived in Germantown, I would make that distinction at every opportunity. I have a lot of respect for Germantown, Bartlett, Cordova and those places. But I wouldn't give you a penny for Westwood, Treadwell or Manassas or even Melrose. They don't seem to respect anyone else, so what have those schools done to be respected??

I didn't know Germantown considered itself a part of inner-city Memphis? If I lived in Germantown, I would make that distinction at every opportunity.

Why??? Where you live has nothing to do with who you are.

I have a lot of respect for Germantown, Bartlett, Cordova and those places.

BTW Most of Cordova is now Memphis.

They don't seem to respect anyone else

???? what are you talking about

NWTennSports,

As a high school administrator, Pastor, and a citizen of Memphis, I take offense to your statement. What do you have against Memphis? To say that our city is pathetic because we have some problems is not fair. If you are looking for a perfect city and find it, once you move there it will cease from being perfect. A city consists of people and all of them have problems. There are problems at Westwood, Manassas, Treadwell, and Melrose. I work at Mitchell High School and we have problems. All of these schools are in the inner city. When you make the statement that you have no problem with Germantown and Bartlett that makes me think that you have a problem with poor black people. I hope that is not the case.

Look at these numbers at Mitchell:

84% of our students are on free lunch

69% from single family homes

7% of our students have lost a brother or sister in a homocide

82% have no computer at home

We work with what our parents send us. We are the mother, father, counselor, provider, and friend. Our neighborhood is very poor. We now house in our school a clothe closet and food pantry. We are making a diffrence. Last year for the first time we met all of the requirements for "No Child Let Behind" If we do it again this year we will come off of the list. I am sure that the other schools are working just as hard for the same results. For you to say that our cith should sink into the MS. river is not fair.