Maryville v.s. Alcoa

*MHSfootball*

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be very surprised if Maryville is held to 14 points in an overtime game by anybody this year. This game usually comes down to Alcoa's speed against Maryville's size and depth. This could be Maryvilles best o line in the past six years and that includes 4 state championship teams. I saw where Alcoa while thrashing south doyle gave up over 200 yards on the ground. Regardless of how many of those yards came against non starters that is a significant number. Maryville's third team looked almost as good against Carter as the first team did. That equals out to tremendous depth. Throw in Maryville's balance of pass and run and that makes it that much tougher. I think Maryville wins. The margin will depend on how much Maryville's defense continues to improve.

haha....if Dustin gets the ball around the corner or in the middel and gets meet by lawhon nuff said

this kid can hit

the way i heard there D-line is playin Dustin is lucky to get 50 yards

Their D- line hasn't been playing that great lately. I don't think Duck will get just 50 yards, I beleve he'll have a good game, Lawhon may be able to hit, but Duck can too and trust me Duck will probably be the one meeting Lawhon. Without Garner I think Maryville will have a tough time covering Warren, Lanxter, and Sommer, they are three tremendously skilled receivers. If we can't run it we'll throw it, if we can't throw it we'll run it. The main thing that concerns me is our cornerbacks. Alex Green and Richieon Bell are probably the two fastest players on the team, but when it comes to size, they aren't the biggest around. Both teams are fairly even to me: they have powerful offenses and solid defenses.

By the scores of last week I would say the final would be:

Alcoa- 86

Maryville-84 F/ 9 OT

But...since this game seems to match up better than Carter and SD I would say:

Alcoa- 35

Maryville- 29

I agree with most of your post Tom. Except perhaps our D line is not impressive to you but we surrender under 100 yards to Carter and from the mid point of the second quarter on it was their first team against our 2nd through 4th teamers. The main issue which i feel is pertinent that you left out is our depth. This will be a physical game. And those playing both ways will have taken enough of a pounding for a full game by halftime. IMO

Agreed, I know Maryville has more depth, I just didn't post that because I figured everyone else knew it. I'm just basing my D- Line observation on their perfromance in the jamboree, but I did hear about their performance against Carter and it did impress me. I'm just saying I think stopping Lindsey and Love will be a much tougher task against that D- line. I think if it wasn't for our 3rd and 4th stringers, we would've held SD to under 125 yards, but as you said that does show Maryville is deeper than us.

:( we love being doubted and being the under dog :( a lot of maryville fans will be very surprised from Alcoa's O-Line....if they come off like they did aganst SD look for Duck to be over 150 again. Alcoa we'll take what they can get whether its passing or running and Alcoa's D will be up to the challenge in holding Maryville's Offense. No prediction but Good Luck will be one of the best games played in this rivalry.

why is this even an argument, all you alcoa people come out every year and say you are gonna crush us and run over us, and that we cant stop you, and year after year it seems, that MHS comes out with the win. lets look at things realisticly for just a minute. alcoa has nowhere near the amount of depth that maryville does, and id even venture out on a limb and say that our second team players could give them a run for their money. Our offense has a very very experienced line, and do i even need to say anything about our playmakers in the backfield, cade, antonio, tallent, clement, childs, jenkins/harris. i mean come on, no team can cover all those people, and with GQ calling the plays you bet there will be someone open every time. and then there is the defense, the d-line wont be as dominant as it was last year because of the significant loss of hodge and some other seniors, but our linebackers are amazing, we have matt valentine who is there to fill a hole, and lawhon to knock the living crap out of anyone else who tries to go up the middle, or around the corner, or throw a pass, this kid is everywhere, then we have parnell who is there to clean up just in case someone slips up. our weakness may be our secondary. althogh ryan jenkins and stephen childs had great games at carter, and kirk harris surprised some people with some hard hitting action. clement will be there to run in at the last second and swat the ball away, or run in and do a double backflip and make an INT. and to wrap up this nice little post, im gonna have to say maryville by two touchdowns at least, it will be a great game as it always is, but how can you not pick maryville to come out on top, i mean come on, they are maryville!

First of All, I don't beilieve that we have stated that we will be crushing anyone. In fact, the only prediction that a Alcoa fan has made, was Tom's and that was 35-29. Certainly not a crushing.

As for me, I think that this game will be even closer than that. I believe that we may be seeing a game that is decided late, late in the 4th quarter, coming out of tied game. I don't know how good of a kicker Maryville has, but no doubt he is at least decent. I do know that Alcoa has a very good kicker in Reed Guzzo, and that he has probably been one of the most improved over this past off-season. If it is tied up late in the 4th I am confident that Guzzo could deliver us.

Obviously, Maryville has much more depth. They have many more people to choose from. I also know, regardless of what RebelRaider says, that we have more playmakers. In the trenches, Alcoa is extremely physical and talented, especially for their 'size' since apparently they are small. At the wideouts, what we lack in depth and size, we certainly more than make up for it in Speed, agility, and finesse.

At QB, Maryville obviously has a fine QB in Cade, because everyone knows you can't be to shabby to go D-1. Fiegler is not much behind however. He has the power to get it wherever it needs to be, and the vision to see that opening. Where Fiegler has been criticized, is in his accuracy. He has came strides this past year to improve that. I'm thinking that Joei will have 225 yards in the air.

At RB, I know that Maryville has tremendous backs. This is where I actually believe that Alcoa is better. Duck has been absolutely tremendous in any kind of play this year, Scrimmage, Jamboree, or vs. SD. Granted, I know that these kinds of competition will not begin to compare to Maryville, but I still believe that he will rush for 150 yards.

What the game comes down to, is defense. Alex Green and Richeon Bell are lockdown corners. Logan Love is an excellent Safety. Our Linebackers corps of Dante Love, Dominique Brown, and Duck are solid. Our D-line, is without question, very talented. 3/4 of the D-Lineman are Solid D-1 prospects. Rae Sykes could be a force at the next two levels, as well as Brandon Warren.

I expect this game to be closer than any in this rivalry in the past 5 years. Considering all of the facts, I see a mid-range scoring game, with a lot of turnovers both ways, but nevertheless a fundamentally sound game.

Alcoa-31

Maryville-28