Maryville v.s. Alcoa

*MHSfootball*

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

naaa....No predictions. Just nothing in common to go by so far this year to make an educated prediction. Neither team was tested last Friday and scrimmages are not a good indicater.

I hope for a well played injury free game. I have a lot of respect for John Reed and since we are friends I find it difficult to pick against him on a public forum. Call me and I will tell you what I really think? ;)

TnVols23,

you can thing alcoa has all the best players, and granted yes some of them are very good, but when they cant make it throgh the 4th quarter because lots of the key players play both ways, then in that 4th quarter decision you are talking about, maryville is gonna come out on top, the only people on our team that play both ways are our defensive backs/recievers, and we could not play any of our starting dbs at wide reciever and still have a great recieving corps. i just dont see how alcoa can pull of a late in the game win with the amount of depth they have, and everyone knows this is gonna be a hard fought game, so im counting on a tired duck, and a tired warren to slack off and give maryville the edge

i dont ever recall saying it will be a push over, you can check my posts again if you want, no, it means a lot to us, we get much satisfaction watching yall walk off the field with your heads down every year, then complaining about something or another after the game, its a tradition

tribeguy, youre crazy

Edited by RebelRaider

TnVols23, Good post, Sir

I agree with some of your constructive post.

I do however think, depth is huge in a physical game that we all expect this to be. I don’t expect turnovers to decide this game, but turnovers, always a factor could spell defeat for the team that has a few deep in their own territory.

First of all, Alcoa does have a few playmakers but playmakers need open field to make most of those plays. Maryville will not allow very much open field because no one is going to be able to run wild in the secondary, like both teams did vs. their week “0” opponents. Up the middle on Maryville is out of the question due to personnel. I would not sell this MHS “D” line too short this early in the season. After Maryville scores, and they will, a big kick-off return will be negated because the ball will be in the end zone. No big run backs. We are very happy with the punter should Maryville have to punt a few times.

Secondly, small CB’s when faced with a seasoned QB who puts the ball up high on the money to multiple of 6’-2,3,4” receivers, will make the CB’s life tough. The LB’s will have to spread the field to be in position to assist with the pass coverage. This opens up the middle for big yards by cutting RB’s that are assisted by a veteran experienced O line.

Like I said above Alcoa does have a few playmakers in Warren and Lindsey, no question. Nothing but respect for those guys, except for that taunting shaking of the head after a TD that I saw, on Friday night hits. Getting a score is what the TEAM needs a player to do! Getting around the corner is easier said than done vs. a team that stress’s position football. If the ends and LB’s play their positions a good back will get some yards but not many and he’ll earn them with a Black Jersey hanging on his back. Expect to see the front four to rotate to stay fresh.

Another big edge Maryville possesses in stopping playmakers is the level this coaching staff goes to in the preparation for a game with big time studs on the other side of the ball. Ask a guys like Riggs (UT) or Centrals Jackson (Vandy). These guys ARE big time D1 SEC RB’s and they never came close to 150 yards vs. a GQ, Ellis, Gaylor, Pinkerton and Thompson defense. The film is in, last and this years, and there will be no surprises. Everyone in the south knows what GQ has done with an offence and ask Hillsboro if they ever saw a hook and ladder? Guess what, no one has seen it since!

Most teams know Maryville’s home field is a tough place to play; the last time Alcoa played at the “Skeeter” they got spanked 56-14. That was also the next year after Alcoa was 15-0 and won the 2A state championship. That team coached by Scott Meadows was a lot better than Alcoa is this year in my opinion. I know this means very little because those kids are long gone but the memory’s are to great around here to allow this team to lie down. And, frankly that will be the only way Alcoa can win this game is if Maryville lays down like during the MorWest game last year which is still a sore spot for the kids presently on this years team.