Best Pressbox Announcer?

GreenbrierCat2

Too many P-A announcers THINK they need to be play-by play men, poorly describing the very same action the fans in the stands are watching.

The best P-A announcers are the ones who stick to the facts, know when to interject excitement, and, most importantly, know when to shut up.

During the game, give us down and distance before the play, then after the play tell us the player running/catching the ball or intended receiver, yards gained, and down and distance. 

Don't make commentary, positive or negative... don't talk during the play itself. 

During starting lineups introduce the visitors politely, then hype up the crowd as the home team comes on the field without insulting the visitors.    When the home team scores, go crazy in a reserved way, but again, don't overdo it.

These are some of the pet peeves that have gotten under my skin over the many games I have attended over the years going along with the years I have done p-a or play-by play.

825349924[/snapback]

Brant, I'm hurting just thinking about the lousy PA jobs I've heard in the past. An overzealous PA announcer is worse than a mad snake -- at least the snake bite will go away; the PA announcer will return every week.

CPA's announcer does a superb job...he's probably the best I've heard on the high school level.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Brant,

Thanks for the insight.  Maybe you should start a school as most PA people do not have a clue along with play by play radio announcers.  You are right on with your observations.

825349985[/snapback]

The best "School" for this is to listen to the announcers at a major college or a pro game. I remember going to a couple of Vandy basketball games when I was in middle school and being impressed with how the P-A guy pumped up the crowd without becoming a part of the show.

My thesis on play-by-play announcers is way too long to cover here. I'll just put it this way. Think of those you've heard over the years who you like. Take aspects of their work and incorporate it into your own style without copying verbatim their trademark phrases (For example, I think it should be a state law that it should be illegal to copy in verbatim and style John Ward's "the 5, the 4, the 3, the 2, the 1, GIVE HIM SIX" call).

The best play-by-play announcers are those that can take what they are seeing and translate it into words in such a way that it tells a story.

Wesvols, I liked the snakebite analogy!

I have to give props to Eddie Ray Anderson at White House. The guy has one of the best deep voices I have ever heard, and he is extremely clever, witty and always hilarious. Here are a few samples:

"Be sure to stop by the concession stand and pick up hamburgers, hot dogs, drinks, pizza and as always, hot apple pies, chicken faaajitaaaaas and paaaaasta faaaazooooool!" (Of course, the final three items are not available...)

"Here are some scores from around the state. 10-0. 7-3 and 21-14." (He never gives the team names...)

"Tonight we will be giving away tickets to the Jeff Cordell school of dance." (the principal)

"Everyone get out your cans and check for the lucky number 4563 on the bottom. If you have a winner, report to the concession stand." (They don't have cans).

"We have found a cell phone. If you are missing one, call us and we'll tell you if we have it."

"A ladies watch has been found in the ladies restroom. We're not sure why the guy who brought it to the press box was in the ladies restroom."

"Let's welcome Greenbrier to the House that the Devils Built!"

"Be sure to catch the college action tomorrow, when Tennessee takes on Florida and Vanderbilt travels to Ole Miss. The Commodores are riding the team bus to Oxford and already trail 31-0."

His simple calls to pump up the crowd include "Everybody up for the kickoff," and "Paper or plastic," etc., and he does an excellent job with spotters to make sure he is accurate on runners and tackles. He is most famous for his nicknames.

And one at a freshman game one time was about inappropriate and was never used again, but it was hilarious. I hope it doesn't offend anyone here, just see the humor and note the principal put a stop to it quick.

"The White House (something club) is selling Blue Devil beanie babies! Stop by the concession stand and pick one up today. They're horny little devils!"

trnbrant,

Good point, but as you say we don't need another John Ward. I for one do not miss all of the garbage that he spit out. I know this will create some hard feelings on this site but, announcers please just describe the action and leave all of the long drawn out explanations for something else. Maybe the pulpit. In going way back, it would be hard to top Lindsay Nelson. Of course, that is my opinion. Prolly no one reading this would even remember listening to Lindsay Nelson.

I have to give props to Eddie Ray Anderson at White House. The guy has one of the best deep voices I have ever heard, and he is extremely clever, witty and always hilarious.

I've known Eddie Ray since HE was on the football team (which is a LONG, LOOONG time ago.) :lol: He went to school with my sibs and he'd come to some of their parties at our house (course I was a little kid back then-I'm about TEN years younger than him). He was usually "the life of the party", so he fits the bill to be a good PA announcer.

Edited by WHHS1975

trnbrant,

Good point, but as you say we don't need another John Ward.  I for one do not miss all of the garbage that he spit out.  I know this will create some hard feelings on this site but, announcers please just describe the action and leave all of the long drawn out explanations for something else.  Maybe the pulpit.  In going way back, it would be hard to top Lindsay Nelson.  Of course, that is my opinion.  Prolly no one reading this would even remember listening to Lindsay Nelson.

825350065[/snapback]

Lindsey Nelson announcing the Cotton Bowl every year was wonderful. WesVols might be familiar with Lindsey Nelson Stadium.

Lindsey Nelson announcing the Cotton Bowl every year was wonderful.  WesVols might be familiar with Lindsey Nelson Stadium.

825350081[/snapback]

You know an announcer is legendary when a stadium is named after him (although his sizable donation didn't hurt, either). Of course I'm familiar with Lindsey Nelson -- one of history's best announcers and worst-dressed men. :lol:

It was an honor to man the PA mic at Lindsey Nelson Stadium.

Edited by WesVols

His name is  Judkins. Most people call him "Jud". I guess that is why I don't know his first name.

Another great announcer from Blount County is the voice of the William Blount Governers, our beloved GOVMAN!

825349920[/snapback]

Greg Judkins; I used to raise cain at basketball games with him when we were in high school. He is a Red Rebel through and through, but IMHO, he doesn't come close to touching Skeeter Shields (former Maryville announcer and Mayor)