Poor sportsmanship

topgame

During the Riverdale / Siegel game last night at Siegel the Siegel students started screeching at the top of thier lungs every time the Riverdale team served or set up to hit to try to mess them up. This action went on for two games. I will say it wasnt all of them just a group of ten to twelve. It was the rudest behavior I have ever witnessed at a high school game.

Good job Riverdale girls for getting beyond it, and defeating Siegel anyway in just three games.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen the siegel coach exhibit a very high level of sportsmanship. In a match where the official called most hand dig attempts illegal on both teams she finally jumped up when the official called it obviously too tight on HER OPPONENT and she complained strongly. That shows me the coach's heart is in the right place and shows an admirable maturity level.

During the Riverdale / Siegel game last night at Siegel the Siegel students started screeching at the top of thier lungs every time the Riverdale team served or set up to hit to try to mess them up. This action went on for two games. I will say it wasnt all of them just a group of ten to twelve.  It was the rudest behavior I have ever witnessed at a high school game.

Good job Riverdale girls for getting beyond it, and defeating Siegel anyway in just three games.

825350891[/snapback]

This may be the most ridiculous posting I have ever seen. I think yelling during a serve would not be considered rude behavior...so yelling during a free throw would also be considered bad behavior I guess. I guess you didn't hear your student section (5 or 6 kids) when Siegel played you at your place......relax buddy, you need to reevaluate what "the rudest behavior you have ever seen"

The siegel kids did not yell at any individual players or single out 1 person, and I can't say that didn't happen at RHS, this isn't golf or tennis...it's volleyball. That is called home court.

Be happy with your girls effort and the win, your girls deserve every bit of it.

Clifford,

Yelling during a girls serve is definately bad behavior, and should not have been tolerated. Your Free Throw example doesn't hold any water, different sport, different rules. You don't make noise when a golfer you don't like or from another team is putting, You don't make noise or cheer when a tennis player you don't like, or from another team throws the ball up to serve, and you don't make noise when a volleyball player tosses a ball up to serve either. I'm surprised the ref didn't put a stop to it. Maybe TGLJ can shed some light on this.

Edited by The Mav

I have witnessed a couple spectators being removed from the gym because of being a distraction. Cheering while play is going on isnt wrong, but when the girl is serving...I am suprised the ref didnt take control.

825351026[/snapback]

I see your point Mav, but I think there is a big differnce between poor sportsmanship and an uninformed crowd. For Top to say that it was the worse example he/she has ever seen is a little overboard. The crowd was not out of control at all. Did they yell during the serve yes, would they have stopped if the ref would have asked? yes. It was not poor sportsmanship, but the 1st time that half those kids have ever watched volleyball. Both coach's, teams and parents win and lose with class (for the most part). It was a good environment for HS volleyball...as far as the ref, he likes to avoid conflict at all costs. That's all I got on this topic. :P

Not saying it was right or wrong and I hold no grudges for either team or their coaches, but as far as student sections go, Riverdale had some students that had some extremely "nice" things to say about the JV team of one district opponent. The JV was doing nothing but keep stats during the varsity game and the students had plenty to say to them. I commend the Riverdale coach for speaking out when her opposing coach mentioned it after the game.

At Cookeville, the students were loud and obnoxious (which is the whole point), but never once made a crude remark to our players. They cheered for their team and not against us.

By the way, they didn't go out of their way to distract the server. THey were loud the whole time.

Edited by 4man

I was going to chime in anyways, but especially since Mav indicated he wanted my view, here it is.

Personally, I love a good crowd. I love it when the crowd is into the match and they live and die with every hit. It pumps me up too. During a match, you sometimes see a variety of behaviors, and I sometimes notice a correlation between the "age" of the crowd and the behavior.

While I personally see a crowd yelling during the serve only as rude and very uncourteous, there's not a lot we as officials can do. We may hate it as much as the poor girl that's serving. However, if it was a single fan that was yelling right before contact, this IS an instance where I will find home management and have them warn the fan. Next time, they're out. When you have a 'group effort' of fans who are yelling, that group is easier to block out than a single fan who does their thing at random. You can adapt somewhat, though it's still not easy, to a prolonged sound.

If the crowd had been yelling at the player by jersey number, name, or making personal remarks, those are grounds for warning/removal. Crowd behavior walks a very fine line. None of these things are the most courteous actions they could make, but there is a difference in what is technically legal and not.

yeah also in golf they hold up a sign that says Quiet Please....i was there and i know exactly what we did.....Duke basketball fans go for the OOOO the whole entire game.....sry there was a small murmur in the background of your conversation that slightly inconvenienced you...grow up btw....it means something to the players when they have students show up at their games cheering for them....sure they have parents th ere clapping every time a point is over...but its completely different when you have some of your own students there cheering for you they asked us too along with coach and others its part of high school sports....dont try to make exceptions like o well this is volleyball not bball..... I play tennis for siegel so if you want you can come out there and yell all you want i gurantee you it wont phase one of our players....poor sportsmanship...what a cop out for something that only inconvenienced you

Edited by Harris' hooligans

Ok, most of you are going to disagree with me, but I see nothing wrong with yelling, cheering, screaming, etc during any part of a volleyball match. To me, it is no different than the crowd cheering as I go into my windup...or the crowd cheering as I try to take the snap from my center...or the crowd making noise and stomping their feet as I shoot a free throw. And someone brought up golf...I tihnk you should be able to cheer, scream, yell, boooo, etc while someone hits a shot. In many sporting events, both teams and players may be equal in talent, but the one who has the mental edge will come out on top. If you can't tune the crowd out and play your game, then you need to work on it. When I'm pitching and the other team is yelling at me from the dugout, half the time I don't even know what they are saying...why? Because I'm tuning them out - focusing on the task at hand. And when I strike their batter out, or when I hit that ace down the line on the volleyball court, it makes it that much more sweet that I beat you despite your noise!

This is just a general observation and has nothing to do with the Riverdale/Siegel game. I don't think it is just a matter of being able to tune the crowd out. Sometimes the crowd gets obnoxious, vulgar, or abusive. I don't think that should ever be allowed. Cheering and supporting your team should be just that--not a forum to curse at or toward the girls, or a time to berate or demean the other team. Sometimes people cross the line. Kids see adults behaving badly and think that it is appropriate or acceptable. Sorry, but I don't think booing is ever really appropriate.

Edited by allsportsfan01