Associated Press Poll is a joke

BnL

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not live by the AP polls, but i do respect the fact that unlike a lot of the people whining about who should be ranked, the AP press is made up of journalists with college degrees. I would be interested to know how many people blabbering about their own school have journalist degrees.

My next point is i would love to see a poll where every one who voted could not vote for their own school. Then we could see what team is really viewed as being #1.

The entire Associated Press media poll is a joke.  In 4A, JCM gets a big, quaility win over a tough Milan ball club and they drop from second to third in the poll.  Now that makes real sense.  In the same class, I firmly believe that Haywood County is underrated.  In 3A, if Crockett County(with a first place vote) and McNairy Central are the second and fourth best teams in the state, I will eat my hat.  The 2A poll is a joke as well.  Camden is rated second and had 3 first place votes!  Heck, I think that Westview, Milan, and Huntingdon are all better teams than Camden. 

These newspapers  and the 2 radio stations that voted, really don't have a clue.  Personally, I hate all polls, especially the media polls.  If there must be a high school poll in Tennessee, I would think that the best type of poll would be a coaches poll.  If you had a coaches poll with one coach from each class and each region voting, I believe that you would have a poll that would be a much better representation of how teams in the state should be ranked. 

Any way you slice it, there has to be a better way than the AP Media poll.  Does anyone else have any suggestions?

825359433[/snapback]

I will be the first to say that some people who vote in the AP Poll do not do their homework and look only at won-loss records. Sometimes there will be changes in polls becuase one voter fails to vote one week. However I take great exception with the sweeping genrealization that all voters don't have a clue. I for one, and know many others, spend time researching outcomes and take the poll very seroiusly. Polls are in fact conversation pieces and have stirred up converation on this thread. As long as there are polls there will be disagreement. But don't lump everyone together! As many great football fans have stated, the only poll that matters is what happens come playoff time.

They also made a HUGE mistake with the 5A player of the week. No offense to Dave Thomas, who had a great night, but Chris Shiverdecker had the best night in 5A football. 26 carries for 285yds and 5 TD's, there may not be better nights all season.

825359447[/snapback]

I agree with JC4life about the player of the week because Chris Johnson had 304 all-purpose yards with 267 carries on 27 attempts with 2 TD's and caught a pass for 37 yards and a TD. He didnt even make honorable mention! I just dont get it.

Edited by CCReciever08

I do not live by the AP polls, but i do respect the fact that unlike a  lot of the people whining about who should be ranked, the AP press is made up of journalists with college degrees. I would be interested to know how many people blabbering about their own school have journalist degrees.

My next point is i would love to see a poll where every one who voted could not vote for their own school. Then we could see what team is really viewed as being #1.

825360208[/snapback]

So what if they have a journalist degree. That don't mean nothing. It sure doesn't mean they know ball. Reportes a easily wowed by stats. How many times has a reporter said a Rb dominated a game when it was really his O-line that dominated the game. I do agree that they should have a coaches poll where you can't vote for your own team.

Here are the problems with the AP poll and anything the AP does like it.

1. Not everyone who subscribes votes each week.

2. Not every paper or media outlet subscribes and those that don't can't vote.

3. When the Titans came to town the AP in Tennessee lost a lot of their focus on high school sports. They had to shift resources to cover the Titans. Thus high school is suffering.

4. Media polls have flaws because you have will have a mixture of some who are covering large areas and have no bias and some who are covering small areas and have lots of bias.

5. We can have polls all day long and they'll never mean as much as what happens on the field.

I like polls for the most part. I think they motivate teams to get in them or stay in them.

Del.

The problem with the poll is that those who vote are unable to see every game. In fact, most reporters are assigned a game to cover and likely are only able to see one game per week. There is no way a reporter in Kingsport could have any idea about the strength or weakness of a team in Memphis. Or Nashville, Chattanooga, Knoxville, etc.

The same is true for coaches, maybe to an even greater extent. A coach would likely have knowledge of how good his own team is and the teams that he has watched on film. He also has a team to coach and can't even spend his time looking at scores, stats, etc.

Basically, either a press poll or coaches poll is going to be drastically flawed. Fortunately, a poll doesn't determine who plays in the play-offs, much less a championship. Games are won on the field.

Polls are still fun, and they definitely drive up interest and enthusiasm for both fans and players.

THE AP POLL DOES NOT MAKE ANY SENSE. AREA COACHES SHOULD BE

THE VOTERS. DOES THE AP VOTERS EVER WATCH FRIDAY NIGHT GAMES?

825360523[/snapback]

Every Friday night! Now, please unlock your caps lock & proofread your posts. We idiots with journalism degrees that don't know anything about football like proper grammar.