Associated Press Poll is a joke

BnL

Anyone else wondering how Boyd-Buchanan dropped from 2 to 6 in the latest poll, especially after a win against a 4A team? Or, why CPA is #7? I guess the voters are looking at the unbeaten records. But looking at some of those schedules, it's not too hard to see why they're unbeaten. Oh well, the poll doesn't matter. The only three teams that could stay on the field with each other are DCA, CPA, and Boyd, and that's who you can expect to be there in the end. Anyone coming through Boyd before the finals certainly will not have seen any team like them on their schedule, beforehand.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are correct, they are really influenced by the win loss record and seem incapable of looking at what that really means.

Our only loss (CPA) was to Riverdale and to be absolutely honest, I don't think there is a team in Tennessee who will unseat Riverdale this year. We scored more points than any of the other 5A teams they have played and actually have the smallest point margin difference of all their games.

What would happen if Coalfield played Riverdale?

i don't know who they get to vote, but you could poll a bunch of 5th graders at CPA and they would know that dca boyd and cpa were the three best teams.

825359406[/snapback]

USJ, Mount Pleasant and Wayne County are also valid contenders in my opinion. MP put a 56-0 woodshed deal on Collinwood last week so they certainly get my attention.

The entire Associated Press media poll is a joke. In 4A, JCM gets a big, quaility win over a tough Milan ball club and they drop from second to third in the poll. Now that makes real sense. In the same class, I firmly believe that Haywood County is underrated. In 3A, if Crockett County(with a first place vote) and McNairy Central are the second and fourth best teams in the state, I will eat my hat. The 2A poll is a joke as well. Camden is rated second and had 3 first place votes! Heck, I think that Westview, Milan, and Huntingdon are all better teams than Camden.

These newspapers and the 2 radio stations that voted, really don't have a clue. Personally, I hate all polls, especially the media polls. If there must be a high school poll in Tennessee, I would think that the best type of poll would be a coaches poll. If you had a coaches poll with one coach from each class and each region voting, I believe that you would have a poll that would be a much better representation of how teams in the state should be ranked.

Any way you slice it, there has to be a better way than the AP Media poll. Does anyone else have any suggestions?

You are correct, they are really influenced by the win loss record and seem incapable of looking at what that really means.

Our only loss (CPA) was to Riverdale and to be absolutely honest, I don't think there is a team in Tennessee who will unseat Riverdale this year.  We scored more points than any of the other 5A teams they have played and actually have the smallest  point margin difference of all their games.

What would happen if Coalfield played Riverdale?

825359393[/snapback]

They would be beaten like a drum. Just like CPA was beaten. You stated yourself that no team in the State will beat Riverdale. Get over the rankings. Maybe, if Coalfield continues to play well they will get to meet an alphabet school in the play offs. They've been there before, they have won and they have lost but they will play.