Bearden @ Campbell Co.

VolViking

After an impressive shut-out win over the Seiver Co Bears, the Campbell Co Cougars return home to host the Bearden Bulldogs for homecoming.

The 4-2 Cougars (2-1 Region) are heading into uncharted territories for a Campbell Co football team. In the school's 30 year history, 4-6 is the best record ever. With an 1-5 Bulldog team coming to town, the Cougars look to gain magical win #5 at their expense.

But as ESPN's Lee Corso says, "Not so fast, my friend." The Bulldogs are not going to walk into the Cougar Den and concede. The Men in Orange had better be ready to play like they have since the 2nd half of the Clinton game, or a very promising season could sink quickly.

Eyebrows are being raised around the region with this Cougar team. After the shutout of MoEast, the critics said MoEast was weak and had injuries. After the 35-0 beating by Jeff Co., the "experts" said "same old Cougars." The Cougars lost a close one to Clinton in their home opener and were written off, projected to win only 2 or 3 games. Then South Doyle came to town in the monsoon that Ivan brought. Chris Johnson broke out behind outstanding blocking and the Cougar D recorded their second shutout. Scott Co. followed with a highly touted RB Wesley Smith and were sent home with a 39-12 beating. Again the D dominated and Johnson ran wild behind excellent blocking. But the critics said it was only Scott Co, so what? Predictions for the Sevier Co game had the Cougars losing by as much as 21-24. Guess what. Opponents can't win if they can't score. The Cougar D racked up their 3rd shutout at the home of a 5A Region quality opponent. Why the season recap? Because you can already hear the naysayers stating the Cougars are set up for a huge letdown.

However the ones that I listen to the most are the young men that make up this special Cougar team. They are enjoying a special chemistry that is unthinkable with young highschoolers. The D enjoys rising the the challenges they are confronted with. Sevier Co's line was said to be too big and would manhandle the smaller Cougar D-Line. Didn't happen. Chris Johnson was said to be a "one trick pony". That "one trick pony" gained 120+ vs. Sevier Co with exceptional blocking by his O-Line. Even more surprising, as the game progressed, the smaller Cougars actually wore down the Bears on both sides of the ball.

Will the Cougars be prepared for the Bulldogs? My gut feeling is absolutely. Will the Cougars be overconfident and overlook Bearden? Listening to the comments on the sideline last night, I don't think so. These Cougars know what is at stake and what it takes to win. Bearden will come to town hoping to continue the string of bizarre homecoming upsets this year. I think they leave trying to tuck their stubby tails between their legs. More later after research is done on Bearden.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It has been a rough year for Bearden. Entering the Campbell County game with a record of 1-5, this season certainly has not meet expectations. One positive that came out of the Science Hill game was Bearden's biggest offensive production of the year....23 points.

On the seaon, Bearden's opponents have outscored the Dawgs 187 to 49. (OUCH!) In the last three games, Bearden has put 43 points on the scoreboard, so the offense is improving. However, the opposition in the last three games scored a total of 91 points.

Bearden has four games remaining; Campbell Co, South-Doyle, Sevier Co, and Jefferson County. IF Bearden were to win out, they would finish 5-5 on the year. Reality is that a 2-8 record is a distinct possiblity.

Bearden is a school of over 2100 students. Is it lack of talent? Is it coaching? I honestly don't know, as I don't have a "dawg" in the hunt. (pun intended...sorry)

Whatever the case, I would hope this situation gets turned around and Friday nights become more than just a social event.

This week in my opinion is even more important than last week. This is where we expected to be at this time in the season. 4-2 and its homecoming for us this week and a chance to get another region win and do something that noone has ever been able to do in the schools history. This game is going to take more preparation because they "owe us one". We went to Bearden last year and ruined their homecoming and they are going to try to ruin ours this year. We have to come out strong and "hit em hard and hit em often" as Coach Shouse would say. We need a good week of practice and put the win at Sevier behind us. GO COUGARS!!!

This week in my opinion is even more important than last week. . .  We need a good week of practice and put the win at Sevier behind us. GO COUGARS!!!

825365131[/snapback]

Very well said '08. Enjoy your impressive win over the Smokey Bears this weekend, but get ready for business on Monday. The Cougars are looking better every week, with an improving offense and very tenacious defense. It would be so tempting to overlook Bearden and look forward to a big game @ Science Hill.

I don't think the Cougars overlook Bearden. You know what is at stake. Plus, Campbell Co. must keep in mind the Bulldogs beat Karns (monsoon game) who beat Jefferson Co. who thumped the Cougs.

Still would like some info on the starting lines for the Bulldogs . . .

this is going to be an interesting game, after listening to the game on fri. night if sevier co. would have, should have, could have scored the 4 times they where inside ccchs's 25 yd line and not scoring the first half it would be a different story.

now on to beardon, interesting team, turmoil surrounds this group like everyone is saying they lost last year and know what to expect from this ccchs team. do they have revenge on their mind (doubt it) they have let's get a region win on their mind. the defense is horrible allowing lots of points and the offense has started scoring points.

it looks like ccchs is going to get it's first 5 win season in history and that the head coach up there is going to be entitled a "god".

I would say something, but if I did the stump tail fans would probably acuse me of trying to "stir cr@$#%" and we wouldn't want to stir up anything that might cause distress to a raw dog. :):) Especially if he his still sliding and scratching his butt on the concrete from Friday night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Edited by possumcop