Jake Nunley For Mr. Football

DelTavian

Note on all these Mr. Football threads. I've taken it upon myself to police them in a different way. This thread is about Jake Nunley and why he should get the award and that's the way it needs to stay.

If you have something to say about why Jake should get the award then add it to the thread.

If you have something to say about why another player deserves the award then put it in their thread. If they don't have one start one.

I'm deleting and editing comments in this one and I've done it in the Dave Thomas thread. This stuff has got out of hand and I'm taking charge of it.

Make positive remarks about who you support and let it go at that.

Del.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Emmitt was 4.45-4.5 even in High School. Don't just go throwing around numbers to make you feel better about a small back who is slow(cough nunley cough) ... Fact of the matter is, Florida has never recruited running backs(especially ones expected to start as Freshmen) who run less than a 4.6, at least not since the 80's started. And College backs who don't perform well at the combines (e.g. a 4.8 forty) don't go in the top 5 in the draft. Also if you want any more info on Emmitt or Barry for that matter you can borrow the "S.I. for Kids" athletic Biography of the 2 players(2 books in 1!) that I got in my stocking when I was 8.

825381379[/snapback]

StayNskool, You've had almost 10 full months to read that book, and you still haven't finished. I bet your reading grades are suffering. You have no idea what you're talking about, so quit getting on here bad mouthing 17 year old kids.

Edited by CC

Staynskool, you are wrong. If Emmitt ran that fast in high school, he got really slow in college. He ran a 4.7 40 in the combine and that is what they had him listed in the draft. Also Priest Holmes ran a 4.72 40.

825381448[/snapback]

You gotta be kidding me! Surly they're faster than that! Not one RB taken in the draft the last5-6 years i've watched has ever been slower than 4.5's. 4.7 is slow by rb standards. It is only pretty good speed in high school! I'm not trying to argue with you guys, but could you please put a link or post some document of where you got these stats? I'm sure its possible that they could be this slow, but I just can't believe it till I see it. Even on a bad day its hard to believe they aren't runnning faster than that. Maybe my standards of speed in the NFL have been to high all this time.

I think Jake Nunley deserves Mr. Football because he rushed for over 2000 yards last year as a junior and should do it again this year despite the fact everyone knew he was coming. As far as the scheduling goes, what can you do when you come into a program that is already set for two years. You can only do your best. Jake left Bradley Central after his sophomore year. He started all over. If he was still at Bradley, would people still question his abilities? I understand and sting for Thomas of Riverdale who has issues outside the lines. And Caldwell from Ooltewah, Jake was where he was last year. I know Jake. He really is the most unassuming kid you could meet. Despite the fact that he has two older sisters that doted on him incessantly. He is a tough as nails runner. Jake left the majority of his family and went to CC. He loves to play football. And he puts it all out there on the turf. He may not be the best football player, but he is integral to his team. He is a hard runner. If back to back 2000 yard seasons isn't enough to get a nomination, what is?

Edited by FANatic4FOOTball

Here's one argument for Jake Nunley to get nominated for the Mr. Football award.

1. Two consecutive 2,000 yard rushing seasons (if he gets it).

2. The award is given to an individual and Jake has done more on an individual basis for his team than anyone. If you are a running back and get yards because your offensive line makes holes the size of interstates, anyone can run through there. If your offensive line gives you enough to make one move (which is all Jake needs) then the yards you get are earned mostly on your own.

3. He has played against competition that is better than Coffee County and he has still rushed for over 120 yards in every game - even though the other team had already seen him last year and was ready to see what he could offer.

4. He is getting to the 2,000 yard mark this year running about 70-80% of the carries he had last year.

5. People look at the numbers he puts up and think, dang, those are high numbers. I look at those numbers and say that the only reason those numbers aren't higher is because the field is only 100 yards long. Jake can score from anywhere and has proven it.

6. The numbers Jake gets, he gets on his own. His offensive line gives him a foot and he will take a yard. If his offensive line gives him a yard, he might take a mile.

Reasons Jake Nunley should not get the award...

1. He doesn't play against quality teams.

- Well, some teams don't play against anyone that challenge them at all and as a result, their stats are inflated.

2. His team is 4-4 with two games to go.

- Where would CC be without Jake Nunley? After you answer that question, answer this one - how much of a dropoff would there be if other Mr. Football candidates were not on their team?

3. He plays in a weak region.

- And (if that is true) Jake Nunley has something to do with that for some odd reason?

4. He's not a winner - CC's record proves that.

- When you are the only offensive weapon on a team that makes it to the playoffs and you are asked to carry the ball 40 times and get hammered by a punishing defense every time you touch the ball and you only average 1.8 yards a carry, most people would quit. Jake was asked to carry the rock 41 times and got hammered 41 times. There's no quit in him and if you flinch, he will score. And besides, this is an individual award, not a team award.

5. He's not worthy of the award going up against kids from schools with long histories of athletic achievement and dominating performances.

- Right. Next time you're at the video store, rent Hoosiers, The Natural, Sea Biscuit, Major League, The Sandlot, Caddyshack and maybe most importantly, Wildcats. Check out all of those blue collar, good for nothing citizens of the world that don't have the background or reputation or geographic heritage of athletic royalty. All I'm asking is that the voters take a look at a blue collar kid who does nothing but take the ball and rush for positive yardage every change he gets. And right now he's on the brink of joining a short list of running backs who have crossed the 2,000 yard barrier twice in their high school career, knocking on the door of history.

If there is a reason to vote for any of the candidates, here it is. The voters should not cast a deaf ear on Nunley because his team doesn't have the attributes of other teams. He's got himself and his abilities, and that has carried him to over 3,600 rushing yards in two years - on his own. No other player can say that. He deserves consideration because this is an individual award, not a team award. His record speaks for itself and should be judged on it's own. I think that when you look at the candidates by themselves (no disrespect to any of the other candidates), Jake Nunley belongs at the top of the list.

2. His team is 4-4 with two games to go.

- Where would CC be without Jake Nunley? After you answer that question, answer this one - how much of a dropoff would there be if other Mr. Football candidates were not on their team?

Overall good post Tnradio. Not to be disrespectful to all the players on the CC team, but Nunley's presense and ability makes CC an average team at best. Without him, CC would not be as competitive as the are. Maybe they would still be 4 and 4, but probably would not be as competitive in some of the games. He is a differance maker. I do not think that there is any other canidate that means more to their team. I don't think there would be as much of a drop off with other canidates teams as there would be if CC did not have Nunley. Again, no disrespect to the other kids who block and help make Jake the player that he is.

If he gets the award, he will be deserving but if he don't recieve the award, he is in good company because these other players are deserving also.